Horn speakers

nathangen

I'am been reviewing many speakers reviews on web pages. Klipcsh may be very excellent may be not? I understand Klipcsh to sound well with horns because they are horn speakers. YesI have all Tijuana Brass and they are my best records.Will Klipcsh also sound right with singers and guitars? Hopefully.. I have about 3000$ to buy.

Nat

Nat, welcome to the forum.

Horns will sound "accurate" with just about everything. I think your challenge will be picking the right amplification to match the speakers.

Think TUBES. Search the "2-CH" forum for "tube amps". You'll have a weekend's worth of reading!

Two Channel System

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

SYSTEMS PAGE LINK: 2 Channel & Home Theater

Ditto. Speaker to amp match is the first, and most important starting point. You will find Klipsch speakers to mate very will with tube amps, and because they are efficient, you do not need a lot of watts to drive them.

>Will Klipcsh also sound right with singers and guitars?

What do you mean sound right?

Klipsch with the right amps - the music can be incredibly organic and musically involving. Add in a good Vinyl front end, musical nirvana.

- tb

Can honestly tell i never heard a speaker sound as good with the guitar wether plugged or unplugged. I dabbled with the guitar for many many years i know tone better than i am a player.KLipsch gives me chills sometimes how it sounds really like that certain guitar amp and guitar is plugged right in front of me. And guess what i own synergy's. With your budget i would be getting more than chills.3.gif

Thanks guys.So horn speakers will sound right with all music not only brass. HowI do not understand why but may be your right. Brass is the most thing. My friend plays a Strat thru tubes he says they make can adjust distortion.I most defineitely do not want distortion at home! What Klipcsh should I buy!

----------------

On 3/19/2004 9:44:42 PM nathangen wrote:

Thanks guys.So horn speakers will sound right with all music not only brass. HowI do not understand why but may be your right. Brass is the most thing. My friend plays a Strat thru tubes he says they make can adjust distortion.I most defineitely do not want distortion at home! What Klipcsh should I buy!

----------------

Do you mean your freind plays a strat through a tube amp to get power tube distortion. The greatest distortion their is. No that is different. Do you want hometheater setup or do you want just stereo? How big can they be? What looks good to you? What sounds good to you? This will be very opinionated. I like the looks of lascalas, but can't afford them and never had the oppurtunity to hear them either. I can only tell you the cheaper synergys( if you can call them cheap) sound great with a warm amp. If i was going to get a set and i could afford it. It would be a toss up between lascalas and rf-7's. This is just my opinion and shouldn't be taken seriously.

I like this help very friendly1.gif To questions I do not want records!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CD only.Stereo of course.I have never een yet any Klipcsh Ido not know what is best for 3000$. Strat can adjust distortion thru tube amp I do not want distortion at home. My new digital amp has almost no distortion.I have room in basement all panelled very big so any big size is OK.Thanks..Do new speakers sound better then old? Scala is old line or new?

nathangen,

No you do not want distortion at home!! But if you had a recording of your friend and his Strat you would want it to sound exactly as he played it. You wouldn't drive a home tube amp into distortion the way heavy metal players do. You would get smooth liquid brass and tingle plucks on the acustic guitar. I just finished listening to Nora Jones "Come Away With Me" CD twice. Once on the Klipschorns with my Jolida 302b and it was beautiful. She and her Very Handsome Band were in my room! Then I made a dub for my wifes car and played it on the Heresey HT system using the Yamaha's DSP to put me front row at the Bottom Line jazz club. I was there at the front!

Want a great slammin speaker for about a grand? Find a pair of Cornwalls and be prepared to fall in love. Spend a grand on an integrated tube amp like a Jolida 302b or a Cayan and the other grand (or so) on a great CD player. You will never get your friends to go home so you can get a little sleep it'll sound sooooo good!3.gif3.gif3.gif

Rick

Nat,

Welcome to the Klipsch forum. Well engineered horn speakers sound great with any content, from a whisper to a hundred-piece symphony orchestra playing full out. Klipsch's claim to fame rests on low distortion and unmatched speed in rendering any signal no matter how dynamic.

I have not heard your amp but I know it has achieved kind of a cult class already. You don't mention what your CD player is, but extremely good ones are now available for peanuts. So you really have $3000 just for speakers. Not a bad position at age 19!

I recommend you buy a used pair of Klipschorns, which you should be able to do for somewhere around $1600-$2200. (New is something around $6000.) Sometimes people even get steals on them for just several hundred, but that is exceptional. The Klipschorn is Klipsch's "cornerstone" speaker. Its only drawback for you is that it is big and heavy. If you wind up moving around the country or going off to college, especially, it would not be a good choice. I think it really depends on how much moving you're going to do. If you plan on hopping about, I'd buy a used set of Heresies for $300-$400 and bank the rest of your money until you're settled.

The search function here is not the greatest. You need to pick which section to search through and if you have it search the body text too, it'll come up with nothing unless you have a very limited date search. You probably would be better off just going to 2-Channel and clicking through pages until you see things of interest. You can have it show threads of the last 30 days, 90 days, 180 days, I think it is. Also, you really need to find a place to hear some Klipsch firsthand. Most of us here love the sound, but it's not for everybody. Take some Herb Alpert CDs with you. Good luck.

Paul, there at the end I thought you were going to say take some Herb and have a listen, I started laughing before I could finish the sentence.

To answer the post, I just purchased James Taylor - Pull Over and LOVED IT. And if you go to the DVD Post there is a thread on which DVDs folks like (audio that is) and you can see a wide range. Talk about guitars and vocals - Eagles, Hell freezes over is AWSOME!!

Welcome to the family Nathan.

Well, you are close to the West Coast, which is where the majority of used Klipschorns show up. If you can find a nice pair -- they are a lot of fun to listen to. If you do not want to buy used, or hassle with the searching and transportation, you might opt for a new pair of RF-7s -- a personal favorite of mine. Those new digital amps are supposed to sound very smooth, and I think you'll your new unit a very good match with Klipsch speakers. I'm sure you'll enjoy the realistic sound they project -- regardless of what you are playing through them.

Nobody wants distortion. Just the word sounds awful. Unless of course, you are listening to live acoustic instruments. Musical instruments are distortion generators. It is the distortion that makes for the texture, timbre and tone of the instrument. So beware of a home movie and music reproduction systems that has no distortion it wont make music. Be wary of engineers and salesmen who emphasize one specification over simply listening to live music and comparing with your own ears. Big ole horns are NOT the same as conventional loudspeakers at all and most of what falls for wisdom in the cone camp flies out the window in the halls of horns.

That said, big ole horns are amazingly low distortion devices (though loudspeakers in general are NOT). Horns reveal far more about the front-end equipment that any other type of loudspeaker design. Buy the biggest horns you can find and afford. Music is larger than your room. But do NOT be surprised if the horns you get do NOT sound great with your new amplifier.

2.gif

Nat...

Here are some great quotes regarging horn speakers (from the pros!!!)

http://invalid.ed.unit.no/~dunker/saidhorn.html

I have linked to this page a few times but I find these kinds of statements from those outside these forums to be the best endorsements of horn driven speakers. It does not matter what you have heard before. Listen to some GOOD horn speakers before making your choice. Loud is no substitute for live! Like others have said, if you just hear bass and treble rather than the music, there is a weak link in your system. Unless you are a woman. Genearally, women channel the mood of music rather than technical accuracy. But I think that is just an excuse to save money. 2.gif