OT Poll: never using caps--don't care or irritant

tankhokie

how about not posting at all

silence has a way of really irritating passive aggressive people

so if you don't post those who wait for reply to their own post will become enraged and start following up their own post to make themselves feel important

this will result in deeper antisocial behavior

while you are at it avoid punctuation too

that really gets em riled

7.gif

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO "YELL" ON A COMPUTER.

YOU CAN, HOWEVER, CHOOSE TO INTERPRET TYPED CASE ANY WAY YOU WANT. IF YOU CHOOSE TO LEND IT A MEANING THAT IT DOES NOT HAVE OR EMBODY THEN THAT IS SIMPLY UP TO YOU. IT DOES NOT CARRY ANY MORAL WEIGHT ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. IT IS UNESSENTIAL TO THE UNDERSTANDING, SO IT SHOULD BE IGNORED.

dm

In some cultures it is impolite to belch after a meal. In others, it is impolite not to.

Since adding inflection is difficult with text on a screen, people have developed methods of getting the communication across. Since chat and Usenet preceded the wide availability of rich text . . . hard to get Arial 24 point bold on an 80 x 24 amber display . . . people had to come up with OTHER ways to add EMPHASIS to the things they wanted to EMPHASIZE.

Emphasizing every word is generally interpreted as shouting. Consider it right or consider it wrong, but for online communication it's the cultural norm. Kind of like emoticons to let someone know you're being cheerful instead of dour. 9.gif

Now as for the original question, I find no caps to be a lot less irritating than ALL CAPS. All caps are just plain hard to read, and I'll usually just skip a post that's all-capped. I'll also bail on a post as soon as I see u for you, ur for your/you're, and b4 for before. I don't care about grammatical or honest spelling mistakes, but I won't muddle through someone's mangled language just because they're too lazy to invest four key strokes in a word. I happen to think English is a fine language and I appreciate seeing it used well.

Soapbox off. 1.gif

I prefer to keep the way I like to read. I try to punctuate correctly and also enjoy having the option to correct my post if I see something wrong with it. To its just easier to read if you keep it like you would expect to read it on paper.

----------------

On 3/23/2004 10:39:09 AM Tom Blasing wrote:

One of my majors in school was English so not using correct punctuation is a bit of a peave. I can't stand it when some BB's won't let you go back and edit a post that's more than 5 minutes old.

----------------

You mean "peeve", I suspect.

----------------

On 3/26/2004 5:23:25 PM TBrennan wrote:

Misspelling and regional or class idiom is fine with me but punctuation crosses all boundries of region and class.

----------------

You lost a comma there, my man.

The correct punctuation should have been:

Misspelling and regional or class idiom is fine with me, but punctuation crosses all boundries of region and class.

(ducking and running, lest the whole forum organize a lynching)

9.gif9.gif9.gif

----------------

On 3/27/2004 2:15:46 AM Griffinator wrote:

----------------

On 3/26/2004 5:23:25 PM TBrennan wrote:

Misspelling and regional or class idiom is fine with me but punctuation crosses all boundries of region and class.

----------------

You lost a comma there, my man.

The correct punctuation should have been:

Misspelling and regional or class idiom is fine with me
but punctuation crosses all boundries of region and class.

(ducking and running, lest the whole forum organize a lynching)

9.gif9.gif9.gif

----------------

I've been lost in a coma from inhaling too many soldering fumes.

Oh! Hi, Sarge.he he he he

Ummmmmmmm, uhhhhhhhhh.

I didn't see you up there.

So how's it going dude? he he he 9.gif

La da dee La da Daaaaa. Vroooooooooooooooom!