Wal-Mart kicks the krap out of Napster and Musicmatch

Daddy Dee

Yes, friends. I'm embarassed for Napster and Music Match, but it's true. You can now down load individual songs from Walmart for .88. Complete albums from $8.80.

A few weeks ago I'd posted that my experience with the new Napster was wretched. I'm on dialup. It's bad, but my only alternative to satellite internet, which is IMO an unsatisfactory substitute for broad band.

With both Napster and Music Match (MM promoted by Dell) one has to download proprietary software, then use it to manage downloads. They both offer listening to 30 second samples before purchase. For Napster, less than one out of ten. Yes, that's a 90%+ FAILURE rate to play samples... and that was after waiting a heck of a long time for looking for media, connecting to media... buffering,,,,. then "sorry, this song is not available, try again later."

Musicmatch wouldn't even run on my DELL XP machine after download and installation.

Leave it to Wal-Mart. Monkey's can operate their web site with NO TRAINING. No special software... Windows media player will suffice. Lightning fast listening to samples, even on dialup.

I really didn't want this to be true. I've waited for Napster to get legal, thinking these guys were geniuses before their time. If they could just get their legal pay service to work like it did when they were bandits helping people pirate music.

Go Figure. I hardly know anyone who will admit to shopping at Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart: the store America loves to hate.

In my town, everyone complains about W-M, but practically everyone goes there. I love the folks who get real apoplectic about 'em. You know, about how W-M is destroying the mom and pops, the town squares. Gee, seems to me people vote with their hard-earned everyday, and it looks like they've voted for Wal-Mart.

Maybe they'll have some Chinese-made klipsch someday. 6.gif

HEY! I shop at Wally World. Or at least my wife does. 2.gif Only problem is, they are wanting to open a Super Walmart here, which, in a town of only 25,000. instigates a lot of talk about such a store taking out a lot of the "Mom and Pop" places that have been here for years, eliminating quite a few jobs in the interest of convienience and low price. I'm all for Walmart being good on the internet, don't get me wrong, but when they come into a small town offering low paying jobs that eliminate long standing, better paying ones, at what price does progress come? I voted to NOT allow the Super Walmart into our town, though it may have meant some goods could have been purchased at a lower cost than is presently available. I'd rather see the currently employed people keep their jobs. I realize this is kinda off-topic as far as internet downloads are concerned, but the word "Walmart" has a special place in my heart. I've seen what happened to another small town about 3 hours south of me, I don't want to see it happen here. I (or my wife) will continue to shop there, but I don't feel they need to get any bigger in this area than they already are.

O.K. Off my soapbox now. Thank You for letting me rant.

I wish they would build a Super Wall mart near me. The dominate supermarket in this area is owned by the Brits. I would rather spend my money and save at an American institution than pay higher prices for the profits to go offshore.

My name is Rick and I'm a Wal Mart shopper..........

Rick

Edit: $8.80 is still too much to pay for a low-fi MP3 album.

I just love how people say that a new Wal-Mart near them will be the end of the world - and as soon as it opens (they always get their way), those people will be spending $100 a week on stuff there 2.gif

In the local paper, they had a quote about a new Wal-Mart in the North end of town, and this lady said, "I do not want this new Wal-Mart to open, but I would be lying if I said I would not shop there once it opens." - so true.

3dzapper said: "I would rather spend my money and save at an American institution than pay higher prices for the profits to go offshore."

How naive. My friend, when you shop at WalMart you are contributing to the huge and ever-growing trade deficit and helping the Chinese build their anti-capitalistic, child-exploiting, communist empire!

On a side-note, I don't generally find that the prices at WalMart are THAT much better than most other stores. Maybe it's me who's naive here, but I consider myself to be a bargain shopper and I find that I can do just as well shopping around and looking for sales.

Has anyone ever tried to return something at WalMart? They treat you like a criminal.

If I'm going to shop a "SuperStore", I'll go to Costco. I get TOP quality products from a company that treats its' members, shareholders AND employees with dignity and respect and who is "socially responsible" about selecting their vendors. I get a lifetime guarantee on the items that I purchase AND, I get a 2% rebate on all purchases!

16.gif

I admit, if it comes in, I'll shop there. That doesn't mean I WANT it to come in. If I've got a tournament, I know I'm gonna be in the boat for 8 hours straight. I don't want it to rain. But if it does, I'm still gonna be in the boat.

Actually, my wife has finally allowed me to skip the trips to "the big city" when she goes shopping. She hits Walmart, Target, K-Mart on occasion, and the grocery store all in one trip. 45 minutes one-way, so only make the trip around once a month. She knows that I just get crazy when she stands in front of the dish detergent section for 3 minutes trying to decide which is the better bargain. She's a shopper, I'm a buyer.

The Walmart superstores are popping up all over down here in Georgia. Here in the Athens area the Walmart, believe it or not, has the best meat and seafood in town.

Better and cheaper than Kroger, Publix, all those places. Go figure. And a very large and fine selection.

Everyone *****es about the Walmarts but they eventually end up inside at some point. You'd be foolish not to.

I do agree on one point, some items are not that much cheaper.

I didn't know about the website downloads though. I will have to check it out.

----------------

On 3/24/2004 11:04:29 AM BigBusa wrote:

Hey Cleve ...Klipsch farms out a huge portion of it's product manufacturing to China. You didn't know that?

2.gif

----------------

Which products, specifically, does Klipsch sell that are made in China?

----------------

On 3/24/2004 10:45:59 AM gullahisland wrote:

3dzapper said: "I would rather spend my money and save at an American institution than pay higher prices for the profits to go offshore."

How naive. My friend, when you shop at WalMart you are contributing to the huge and ever-growing trade deficit and helping the Chinese build their anti-capitalistic, child-exploiting, communist empire!

Exactly!!! People really need to consider the danger that an ever more powerful, ever more wealthy China poses to our national interests. The wealth certainly isn't being shared with the workers, who earn a pathetic wage in unsafe conditions.

Read this - it's an eyeopener.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/business/content/auto/epaper/editions/sunday/business_04c2948376322042003b.html

I read

Are we really that greedy as a civilization that we're willing to support this so we can pay $5 less for a clock radio??!!

----------------

On 3/24/2004 11:15:27 AM mark1101 wrote:

The Walmart superstores are popping up all over down here in Georgia. Here in the Athens area the Walmart, believe it or not, has the best meat and seafood in town.

Better than Costco? That would be hard to believe.

Walmart's prices are not always as low as you think. They haven't reinvented the wheel. Think about it. Their "model" is to pass on as many costs as possible to their vendors, local/state governments and whomever else they can. Some of my friends that do business with Walmart tell me off the record of serious strong-arm tactics, veiled threats and demands that prices go down or else. How do vendors cut prices? By cutting their costs through lower wages, less benefits and out-sourcing. Not to mention, where do the vast majority of Walmart employees get their healthcare? From their local and state governments that you pay for. It seems to me that Walmart is good for an individual shopper in the short run and maybe not so good in the long run.

Is it possible that many of us end up working in enviroments similar to where we do our business (shopping)?

Chris

As with most CO's we do not share our vendors most of the time...

and as with most speaker co's we buy our parts built to our Engineering standards.

You know of the Eminence, Atlas, EV. B&C.

The parts you ask about come from a vendor in China that we have used for many years.

Klipsch stopped building drivers in the early 90's.

Posted by Trey Cannon 2/20/04

Georgie,

Athens is doing well with lots of growth. Weather is getting nice now too. Nice town for music too as you probably know. Rolling Stone voted it #1 College music scene in the US. Having lived here for 4 years, I can vouch for its excellence.