Klipschorn center channel mod finished

Q-Man

----------------

On 4/4/2004 5:35:04 PM Q-Man wrote:

Moon,

I'm sure you saw this before, but if not, here is a shot of my version of a rear WDST speaker.

Who is making fun of you? You can't have enought speakers.

----------------

Oh nobody is making fun of me, just telling me how my theater will be fraught with accoustic challenges by running 2 sets of side surrounds.

----------------

On 4/4/2004 1:40:43 PM Q-Man wrote:

Carpenter?
15.gif
I would say that I'm more like a cabinet maker. There is a big differance in the techniques used to build something between a carpenter and cabinet maker. If you want to insult a cabinet maker, call him or her a carpender.
9.gif
I of cource did not take it as an insult for many reasons.

----------------

Is one of them because you don't know how to build a house? Carpenters built this country, Pal.

Nice work. For a cabinet maker.

9.gif

Is one of them because you don't know how to build a house? Carpenters built this country, Pal.

Nice work. For a cabinet maker.

9.gif

----------------

Yes, I don't know everything about building a house. I'm really more into the drafting and design end of it.

Horn Ed, forget about trying the large and small settings on your 3000. I found out that mine isn't working. 8 channel stereo runs full range to every speaker. I turned off all the other speakers and just listened to the center channel. I switched back and forth between Large & Small and nothing happens, all I have is Small. My son has a Yamaha Home theater system in his bedroom. His center speaker is a full range speaker and also has a subwoofer hooked up to the center channel. We did the same with his 5 channel stereo mode. Switching the center channel to Large and Small works.

a little question qman:

my girl friend scream because i have some little speakers from the synergy serie, she will kill me if i had as much and so big speakers in our living room

so are you married?

if you are, I bet your wife has not heard yet about the WAF.

9.gif

Just a compliment post - I remain amazed at the ultimate geekiness we go to and how pretty we look in our masquerade for normalcy. Great work Q-Man.

Quick question - I am in the process of my next speaker project and I am looking closely at the JBL baby cheeks tweeter (they will - in the current designed - be mated with a jbl 2425). Your impressions would be much appreciated.

Darn good work for a carpenter 6.gif

Qman;

For bass testing, I've a number of MP3's. I've attached one of them - it's a series of test tones from 360hz - 10 hz accompanied by narration. - if you burn an audio CD of it, you can play on your standard CD/DVD player.

Additionally, if you've a laptop computer, or a way to hook your desktop PC into your stereo, you can download an Audio Oscillator here...

http://www.dazyweblabs.com/shannonsoft/page3.html

Via this oscillator, you can play test tones from 10 hz to 20khz and beyond in 1 cycle increments. Play some test tones between 50-25 cycles, and combine with a Sound Pressure meter if you really want find the roll off point for your new custom center channel.

Great work, by the way. I've got about 10 thumbs when it comes to woodworking - I think! I've never tried any, but I figure there's a reason for that.

2.gif

Once again QMan sets the precedent! My wife thought we had alot of speakers in the living room until I showed her QMan's various photos that he has posted of his system over the past couple of years. I have amplification available for more speakers but my 7.2 outputs (7 main channels & 2 subs) on my NAD T163 have all been utilized. I would have to "Y" some out to add more speakers, but I don't think I need too. What an incredible setup though! Wow! I would love to hear it someday. I just watched the Blue Man Group Freeview on D-TV and the percussion was killer!

another test you might try (if you're not convinced yet), would be to run the new center speaker from one of the main outputs and measure it's response and then connect the center output to one of your mains and measure it's response...then compare these results to the results you get with them plugged in normally. if the problem was with the reciever, there should be a trend in the difference between the channels.

another thing to note is that the freq. response should be different because the speakers are in different locations in the room...i'd expect the center speaker to have a more jagged response because any effects from the side walls would be doubled.

anyways, nice setup...bet it sounds great.

hwatkins,

I never concidered myself as someone who is into tweeters. I have always gotten lost in the midrange and bass horns. If you say to me that this is the best bass horn speaker that I ever heard, I will be building it in a flash to see what it sounds like. The same goes for midrange drivers and horns. I have been using a stock Klipschorn as my reference speaker to compare all my experiments with. I have one other bass horn that I really like, but you can see that the Klipsch bass horn is still the one that I'm using. The 290 mid driver and 311 horn is one that may have ended my quest to improve the midrange of the Klipschorn. John Warrens network design also brings out the best of the 290 & 311. I had to say this before telling you that I can recommend the 2404H tweeter to anyone as an upgrade for the Klipschorn and LaScala. I bought my first pair so I could have a tweeter that I couldn't blow up and it wouldn't need any protection in the signal path. It was a surprise that it also sounded very good to me. Like I said, I wasn't into tweeters untill I heard what a difference this one makes. But then I also used to believe that you couldn't improve the Klipschorn. Somethings you just have to hear for yourself to believe them. I would bring different people into the room that I use for comparring stuff. I would say come listen to these different horns and tell me what you hear, listen to this new midrange driver, this network. You get the idea here? I never asked them to tell me what they thought about the damn tweeter, but they would. Sometimes that was the first thing that they noticed. My room was set up like this for two years. One stock Klipschorn in one corner and 9000 parts all over the room. This way I could always go back in and pick up where I left off.

Everyone loves the sound of the 2404H. I have to have it discribed to me over 12kHz. Above that I can see it on the meter, but I can't hear it.

DrWho and others,

Unfortunately there is something wrong with the center channel on the RX-V3000. I now think that I had this problem for a while. I used to have a LaScala for a center channel speaker. I would cross it over at 80Hz. Then I rebuilt my cabinets and put the University Classic up there, I still had to cross it over high.

After building the new tops for my Klipsch bass horns I had to build a center channel speaker to match them. After hooking up the center channel to the main outputs for testing I knew that something was wrong with the receiver. The Klipschorn center is awesome, I just need to figure out what I'm going to do to fix the receiver so I can take advantage of it.

I'm a little bumbed out tonight, because my new McIntosh amp arrived today. This is the amp that I orderd to power my front and rear center speakers. I just unpacked it and placed it in the rack and walked out of the room. I didn't even hook it up. What's the point now that I need to fix or replace the receiver. I'll get over it tomorrow and move forward. I bought the amp so I would have the exact match for the centers as my mains. Anyway, I now will be able to power all 10 speakers with McIntosh amps.

I'll answer the rest of the questions posted here tomorrow.

Thanks again to all of you for the help.

To answer the question about the WAF.

I for one have never understood this. It doesn't exist. The only time she will bring up the subject is when she wants more money for something. She says " With the one hundred thousand dollars worth of equipment that you have I think you can give me some more." I havn't convinced her that it's not that much. Anyway, she doesn't care. I seem to add more all the time and she eather doesn't notice or doesn't care. She even dust the stuff when she is cleaning, so she must notice the add ons. I also don't talk about the new stuff. I of course always buy with cash so I don't leave a credit card trail for her to fallow.11.gif

Another one of her jokes is that the UPS and Fedex trucks are always at the front door. If she is riding somewhere with me and I see a UPS or Fedex turck

on the road, I always honk the horn and wave to them. She says, "Oh another one of your Budies?" She knows her husban is addicted and we make lite of it.

I do take on more work to pay for my toys, so it has drawbacks and awards.

Oh... I almost missed your new thread on the completed centre. Looks great... and somewhat menacing with the downward tilted 311-90 ... must blend in well with listening habits... 2.gif Hope you get your RX-V3000 prosessor problem settled so you can give it a true test run. Have you tried it without the Outlaw just to be sure of the source of the problem? Are the large/small settings a physical switch or just a menu selection? It may be a bummed out switch or even something as simple as it requiring software flash... and inexpensively repaired. In any case, there is nothing more frustrating than getting to the testing phase of a project and being faced with troubleshooting. 15.gif

BTW... I hadn't seen/read about your WDST before... what does it consist of and where is the design from?

Later...

Rob

"Anyway, I now will be able to power all 10 speakers with McIntosh amps."

Q-MAN you are killing me. Actually you are enticing me to go ahead and plan my "ultimate rig" MY long range plan(mind you I can't define that time period) is to false corner 2 Khorns, a split La Scala for a center, 2 Heresy's for front effect and three La Scala's across the back. Your work is simply phenomenal, although I must admit a severe case of speaker envy at the moment.

Q-man... the new center looks fantastic. Checked the output of the Yamaha and there is absolutely no shortage of bass on my center channel. As you may recall, I run mine small and let the dual SVS subwoofer tower handle the lows so that the KLF-30's can handle the mids quicker. One of the reasons I like the Yamaha is the extra spatial sound stage that the Front Effect speakers provide.

I have been running my multiple Khorns and Belles without a sub... but am planning to build one that runs from about 40 Hz on down as far as I can tweak it.

Having a diminished bass in the center channel is very mysterious... I've never run into that before. I wonder if anyone on the two-channel forum may have a clue as to how such a condition could exist. HornEd

PS: Looks like this is my official 2,500 post as HornEd glad it was to a friend wish it could have been more helpful.