SPL meter???

Thors1982

I am getting ready to order some cables from www.partsexpress.com and I wanted to get a SPL meter with it because I have the Digital Video Essentials DVD and I wanted to use it to its full potentinal. But honestly I don't know anything about a SPL meter can someone go to www.partsexpress.com and see if they have a good SPL meter and which one I should get.

Thanks

go to your local radio shack, they have 2 models. do not get the digital one. very easy to understand. around 40 bucks. install the 9v battery, slide the 2 switches to C weighting and slow response, turn the dial to 70db or 80db sit in you chair and hold it out in front of you and adjust all speakers until the meter reads O and have some fun. see ya

I am using the digital, leave the response on slow and just accept sampling changes and use the average; its what your analog will basically gives you, as the sampling reaction is slower. I like it a lot, made a world of difference in my sound and imaging for both multichannel audio and HT stuff too. I have thought about getting an AVIA disk but my receiver only lets me adjust front Center, L/R/C surrounds and front effect in relation to the Mains, as they are either set to Normal or 10db. Although the AVIA would probably help me get a better picture out of my TV, but its just 27-inch Sharp Cinema Select so I am not overly motivated to get the disk just yet. But analog or digital I would definitely get the SPL meter, you will be happy you did.

----------------

On 4/18/2004 7:52:21 AM old Klipsch fan wrote:

Hey mOOn , would you say I needed an SPL meter even if I have a setup in my Pioneer Elite VSX33TX that I can adjust the speakers with? thank you

----------------

Personally, I'd still pick up a separate meter. The Radio Shack model offers the option of attaching it to a tripod. It's so easy to just set the tripod up in your listening area and then perform the calibrations based on what is indicated on the meter.

Also, a couple of pointers:

1) Ensure the microphone on the meter is pointing up when you perform the readings (the mic should not be directly pointed at the speaker.)

2) Also, make sure you locate and utilize the "adjustments" for low frequencies when adjusting your subwoofer. I believe the SVS site has these adjustments that you'd need to make. For example, at 25Hz, you might need to add a few dB to the reading on the meter to make it more accurate for the adjustments.

----------------

On 4/17/2004 6:55:17 PM m00n wrote:

Yup, the analog one at radio shack is the one I use. It's a must have tool for any home theater.

----------------

they only havethe digital one now though. it is the cheapest one i have seen by the way.

had both, digital first, due to the fact the analog sold out and is now unavailable in Canada, according to the Radio Shack employees in my hometown. So I got my analog off of the net, in fact a Radio Shack(Rat Shac)in the US, get an analog IMO.

I just got the analog version about a month ago, but I had a hard time finding it. I couldnt order it online and none of the local stores had it. I finally had one of the stores order from a warehouse in Colorado. So it might be worth a shot to see if the store can get it from somewhere else.

----------------

On 4/18/2004 12:39:59 PM damonrpayne wrote:

Yes, get the analog if you can find it. Here's a quick article I threw together regarding use:

Good luck!

----------------

I remember using that page when I first got my SPL meter last year. Thanks for doing that.