Adcom : thumbs up or down

JAJ88

Does anyone know anything about the brand "adcom". Iwas recently given an amp/preamp that is about 12 years old. I plan on using it for 2 channel stereo. I have it hooked up to my RF3's now and it is simply explosive. Does anyone know anything about the brand adcom?????? Im kinda new at this....

Adcom is a line of solid, well built amps and preamps and in the same class as Rotel, B&K, NAD, etc... Well engineered, well designed and should last you a very long time. Having said that, they can be a little 'agressive' with horns but should give you solid bass if a little bright on the top end. Just my two cents...

I had a 5802 for a very short time. I did NOT care for it with the Belles I had at the time. My Tandberg and McIntosh sounded much better than the Adcom. I am not trying to discourage you though. I just didn't care for this particular amp much. Others who have owned Adcom feel differntly. If that's all you have and like the sound than keep it. If after listening for awhile and something in the sound is annoying you it may just be the amp. Also the Belles are quite differnt then the speakers you are using.

hoggy

My brother bought a slightly used GFA 5400 class-A MOSFET power amp that looks like new, and performs flawlessly. It's solid as a rock and weighs a ton, and sounds great with his Tannoy and Triangle tower speakers (but while running in class-A tends to get a bit hot to the touch, which is normal). When he recently bought a mint pair of Klipsch KG 3.2s, they sounded somewhat brighter than he liked with the Adcom, plus he didn't need 100 watts anymore with his efficient KG 3.2s, so he replaced the Adcom with a 12 watt Chinese built Dared VP-16 tube integrated amp for 2-channel listening, and will use his Adcom with his Triangles for HT.

Enjoy your new Adcom gear...it's well made and reliable, and should last a good long time.

I've run the adcoms (7400 and 545) on both RF and Heresy's. They're excellent on the RF 7s. THe only time they seemed harsh on the heresy's was when pushing to their limits (at the point where the adcom lights were flicking violently, which would have also been pushing the limits of the heresy's, given their only rated at 100 watts).

----------------

On 4/18/2004 8:36:45 PM v3pcbl wrote:

I've run the adcoms (7400 and 545) on both RF and Heresy's. They're excellent on the RF 7s. THe only time they seemed harsh on the heresy's was when pushing to their limits (at the point where the adcom lights were flicking violently, which would have also been pushing the limits of the heresy's, given their only rated at 100 watts).

----------------

Are you kidding? No. Are you deaf!? I made the limit lights flicker on a 555-II when pushing Magnepans!

I've had several pieces of Adcom gear and liked them all. Still have a GCD750 (CDP), very nice. I had a GFA535II and thought it was an outstanding solid state amp. The more efficient the the speakers however, the brighter the amp sounded. I think it just needed to be working hard to sound best, and it can sure work hard. I used it to drive some very demanding AR-M5's and it worked beautifully, where a NAD amp with similar power rating sounds terrible. You got a nice piece of gear.

Been running Adcom 585 amp, 555 preamp. & 575 CD player for over 12 years, without a problem. I have also used a 535 amp in my other system.

The 585 limited amp is the same chassis as the 565 monoblock, except there are 2 in one box sharing a power supply. When I listened to them, it was noticeably better sounding than the 555 or below.