Replacing the AK-2 in 88 KHorns

StickMan

Looking for comments on replacing the AK-2's in my 88 Khorns. I've heard say that the Ak-2's were not the best network ever put in the Khorn. Is this true?

For around $100 I can upgrade the 2 to the AK-3 without changing any drivers. Or, I can try ALK Engineering's replacement for around $500.

Anyone ever compared the AK-3 to the ALK?

Al, in your view how much better is the ALK over the AK-3?

Thoughts on the best route to go? The cost differntial is not a concern. I want the best network I can get.

Hope someday to add a good SET like the Art Audio PX-25. Sounds fantastic on Khorns.

88 Khorns (The Greatest Speaker Ever Made)

Sony SCD777-ES

Audio Research LS3 (solid state)

VTL 100 Monoblocks run in "triode" mode for 60watts/channel

JPS Lab SuperConductor+

DH Labs Silver Sonic speaker wire

Custom Power Cord Company Power Block

Room is 17.5 x 26 x 9

StickMan,

I'll let others chime in about the AK-3 conversion. I'm old school AAs in mine OE. Right now I am running ALKs though. The big advantage of the ALK is the ability to custom taylor the mids to your ears, your room and your source. Added to the very high quality of the parts Al uses and recommends it is a worthwhile investment. IMHO. YMMV. Etc.

Rick

I updated my AK-2's into AK-3's with the assistance of the forum folks and Steve P at Klipsch. It was not to difficult to do. You need to replace the two 70uf caps in the woofer circuit to two 50uf's or a single 100uf. Then the 4mh coil in the midrange circuit needs to be changed to a 5mh, and lastly you need to replace the T5A autoformer to the T4A to bring the midrange level up an additional 2db. I did not feel like investing the $550 for the ALK's or even build my own. In addition, the ALK is NOT a drop in replacement for the the AK-2, it would take a bit of rework to use the ALK. The ALK was designed as a drop in replacement for the AA crossover. Upgradind the AK-2's to AK-3's still cost around $200 or more to do. Since the AK-3 is regarded as one of the better crossovers like the AA, I figured I would just update my AK-2's instead of going with the full blown ALK's. I am pleased with their performance at this point, I may replace the 13uf cap in the midrange circuit to a better quality one. I may leave the iron core 4mh coil in the woofer circuit alone as I don't want to run into DCR issues.

Stickman,

What problem do you hear with your AK-2s? They are not bad crossovers at all and I would not change them unless I went for the ALKs. Don't just change something just to be changing or because Somebody said so. Try this. Play something with a female voice, or lots of strings. Put your hand around the throat of your squawker horn. If you feel vibration, add Dynamat or rope caulk to damp the vibration. If yours don't vibrate to the touch, sit and enjoy.

John,

thanks for the feedback. About two years ago I had a guy re-wire the AK-2's to remove the oxidized monster wire and re-configure the network for bi-wiring. Every since that time I have felt there was a slight but noticeable reduction in the "slam" or "punch" in the region where drum wacks ocurr. They just don't snap hard like before. So I have convinced myself that he must have done something incorrect.

I thought that this would be the opportune time to upgrade to the AK-3 or ALk. By the way, in your opinion which of these would be best for 88 Khorns using tube amplification?

thanks

Howard

• 1 month later...

I don't understand how the ALKs have now somehow become the replacement for just about every network Klipsch ever made. Isn't there some noteworthy difference between the Atlas and Electrovoice drivers?

----------------

On 4/23/2004 7:45:50 AM StickMan wrote:

John,

thanks for the feedback. About two years ago I had a guy re-wire the AK-2's to remove the oxidized monster wire and re-configure the network for bi-wiring. Every since that time I have felt there was a slight but noticeable reduction in the "slam" or "punch" in the region where drum wacks ocurr. They just don't snap hard like before. So I have convinced myself that he must have done something incorrect.

I thought that this would be the opportune time to upgrade to the AK-3 or ALk. By the way, in your opinion which of these would be best for 88 Khorns using tube amplification?

thanks

Howard

----------------

Just an idea, You might want to make sure they are sealed in the corners good since you've noticed a reduction in punch and slam because this could easly cause that problem.

mike1.gif

----------------

On 4/22/2004 9:49:44 PM John Albright wrote:

Stickman,

What problem do you hear with your AK-2s? They are not bad crossovers at all and I would not change them unless I went for the ALKs. Don't just change something just to be changing or because Somebody said so. Try this. Play something with a female voice, or lots of strings. Put your hand around the throat of your squawker horn. If you feel vibration, add Dynamat or rope caulk to damp the vibration. If yours don't vibrate to the touch, sit and enjoy.

----------------

Dido !!

2.gif2.gif