What Was Your Best Score Ever!

thebes

"One man's trash..."

How about the score that did NOT happen....

So, like every Christmas, we visit the in-laws. And like every year, I wander into the local pawn shop to case the joint. The owner tells me that he recently thought of me. I only think, "Oh no." So he tells me that he bought some old McIntosh tube stuff at a local (local to him) estate sale - MC270, matching tube preamp, 10b tuner, and "LARGE Jensen speakers" (while holding his hand up to his chest to approximate height). It apparently came from some old rich dude in Grand Rapids, MI whose widow was glad to be rid of the stuff. (There are a lot of old rich dudes in Grand Rapids, evidently. I am guessing the shop owner may have paid her $500 for the lot.) He did not have my phone number so he sold everything for $2000. How bad do I feel about that? I figure he saved me the explanation to the wife, family and in-laws (emphasize in-laws!) of why this stuff was probably worth about $8000 conservatively. This is what I tell myself in retrospect so I won't feel so bad. And, honestly, that is just the way I feel about it. It could have been my "best score ever" but I just consider it less stuff to hassle with repairing. Seriously.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 4/30/2004 11:06:50 PM 3dzapper wrote:

If only it were me.
15.gif

Craig Johnson posted this up in 2channel:

"Rick:

See you have 1977 KHorns. Just this afternoon I was at the local Agway and I overheard a guy talking he just bought an old home and he said in the main living room were a pair of big old speakers and he was wondering if anyone wanted them.

The owner of the store said oh the junk man will take them. I couldn't help myself and introduced myself and asked if I could take them off of his hands. he said that would be great as they are huge.

I stopped by and lo and behold sitting proudly in either corner were a pair of 1979 KHorns.

I stopped at Lock Haven University got three college guys paid them $10 each and they helped me load them into a neighbors p/up and they are sitting in the basement storage room.

Talk about being at the right place at the right time. WOW!

I ran cable and hooked them up...they play OLE so sweet.

They are finished in rosewood and look fantastic. The guy who bought the house thanked me for taking them off of his hands. His parting remarks were: one less piece of junk to move out before i restore this house. LOL!

Best,

Craig

Heresy 2s...La Scalas and now 1979 KHorns! Simply Fantastic!

Broadcast Standard Equipment. Too numerous to mention!"

That's the best score ever. The SUPER BOWL WINNER!!!!

Rick

----------------

Holy friggin' crap!! If only I were that lucky. Seriously Craig, congrats.

Heresy II NIB bought in 1995 for $589. msrp $1100

KG 5.5 NIB bought in 1996 $599 sold for $400 two 1/2 months ago in feb 2004. msrp $1000. best $200 for 8 years of use i have ever spent.

KLF-20 NIB bought in 1997 $839. msrp $1500

Yamaha Rx-v2090 reciever NIB bought in 1997 $839. msrp $1500

Thank you Navy exchange (overseas), and exchange catalog (overseas). I hear though navy exchange does not sell klipsch anymore. is this true, if it is what a shame.15.gif

MTX SUB15 NIB bought in 2003 for $329 after shipping. msrp $749. (thank you ebay)

$2000 dollar laptop NIB with warranty for $1300. (thank you ebay) the reason i had to sell my 5.5's had to replace that $2800 water spilled in not cover under warrenty laptop paperweight. 15.gif

Hello posters:

I see two posters beat me to my wonderful achievement of taking two large loudspeakers from a man who was glad to get rid of them.

A PAIR OF KLIPSCHHORNS FROM 1979 FINISHED IN ROSEWOOD! They sound fantastic.

Then there was that time when I was in college at age 19 and she the professor was 31. I had straight 4.0s that year in English Lit and she dubbed me Heathcliffe from Shakespeares Withering Heights! LOL! LOL! LOL!

Best,

Craig

Standard broadcast equipment. Too numerous to mention!

I was 20, she was 40 but looked 30!!

Got a pair of Infinity 6 Kappa R's for $200, sold them a few months later on eBay for over $400.

Got a HeadRoom Cosmic for $200 on eBay, resold on eBay a few months later for $370.

Got a apir of Sennheiser HD600 on AudioGon for $130, a couple months later, resold on eBay for $360.

Got 7 pairs of Magwire Naked ICs new on AudioGon for around $120 total.

Got an Aragon 2004Mk II off of eBay for $450 shipped.

Just bought a pair of mint KG 5.5s this past Sunday for $250.

I was 22 and she was 50 with all gums, and could suck the chrome off a bumper hitch....is this CBS...am I censored....10.gif

All kidding aside, my Khorns I bought brand spankin new in 93 for $2400CDN\$2000US at that time(no taxes, nudda).

A pair of new LaScala's in 2001, the last year of production before they stopped making the Heritage, sat in the boxes in the back of an Audio store for over a year, guy cancelled his order after they got here, and lost his $500 deposit(and KLF-C7)$2200CDN\$1600US(no taxes again).

Marantz SR18EX Reference A\V Receievr, new(1st year)$2200CDN\$1600US ($500 below Dealer actual cost and no taxes).

last, Adcom GFA-585LE Limited Edition 2 channel amp, 1993(new), powered my Khorns for 2 channel $700CDN\$550US(no tax).

as well as several pieces I have bought at garage sales, 1976 Marantz 2235B Receiver, mint, all manuals, schematics, even friggin warranty card unused, boxes, with a Marantz turntable, same thing, $35CDN(Receiver 20 and turntable 15) 2.gif

----------------

On 5/5/2004 9:50:23 PM boomer9911 wrote:

as well as several pieces I have bought at garage sales, 1976 Marantz 2235B Receiver, mint, all manuals, schematics, even friggin warranty card unused, boxes, with a Marantz turntable, same thing, $35CDN(Receiver 20 and turntable 15)
2.gif

----------------

And let me guess..... (no taxes)!!! 3.gif

Few years back in one of the Milwaukee area Sunday swap meets - one got away from me. Leaving the meet, I was with a friend who spotted an elderly guy walking in with a Marantz 8B two seconds prior to me recognizing the "thing" the old guy was carrying. My friend stopped him and asked for the price as I was watching. The old person wanted... $500...I was speechless. I never saw a person open his wallet as fast as my buddy did that morning. Then the old fellow said he had another one in his car in the parking lot...and offerred to sell both for $800 if my friend would take them both. I went straight home and kicked my neighbor's cat.

O.K.

i wasn't going to 'show my hand', but here it goes:

KLF-30's-2 for $720 brand new,1 for $350 used;C-7 center $240 new;RSW-15 $720 new;pair of'85 heresy 2's-raw birch $100 used(perfect);pair of '82 cornwalls-raw birch,cosmetically very good/functionally perfect $400; 2-pair 2004 SA-3's and 1-2004 heresy2 total $49...

don't hate me2.gif i am the avman3.gif

avman.12.gif

1983 Klipsch La Scala's Raw Birch.

$125.00 US (~200.00 Cdn) private sale off the office for sale board... Take these away they are too big for my little house ... 9.gif9.gif

Klipsch THX Home Cinema Full Set (3 KT-LCR, 2 KT-DS, 1 KT-SW) in black oak.

New in box with full warranty: $1300.00 US (~1900.00 Cdn), I think these retailed for over $4K US when they were on the market.

Lyle.

----------------

On 5/18/2004 5:40:53 PM LyleS wrote:

1983 Klipsch La Scala's Raw Birch.

$125.00 US (~200.00 Cdn) private sale off the office for sale board... Take these away they are too big for my little house ...
9.gif9.gif

----------------

SWEEET!!!

avman.