Using 4 ohm tap or 8 ohm tap

Daddy Dee

The instructions in my owners manual for my recently acquired VAC Avatar Special Edition tube amplifier, suggests that you try connecting your speakers, no matter what their nominal impedance is, to both the 4 ohm and 8 ohm taps that are on the amplifier. I connected my Cornwalls to both the 4 and 8 ohm taps, and greatly preferred the sound of the Cornwalls connected to the 4 ohm taps. There seems to be a much better bass sound and weight to the music, without losing any imaging.

Ed Hurdle

HeavyDistortion

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may or may not sound different. It might sound different and you won't notice. It might sound the same, but because of this thread you might hear a difference that isn't there. Cool huh -- isn't audio a blast.:) Go ahead and try it -- it won't hurt anything. One thing: Make sure you have the VRD's shutdown whenever you disconnect the speaker cables.

Mark Deneen said:

So the amp is "shock absorbering" the impedance swing.

This would be tied to the lookback impedance. My understanding is that wide and rapid swings in impedance transfer back-EMF through the network and to the anode of the tube. I get the impression this is a condition to be avoided.

You have a constant impedance network and those sound better on the 8 ohm taps.

Very interesting thread.

I have Al's ES networks on my Khorns, I belive they too, are constant impedance?

Seems Al told me specifically to use the 4 ohm tap on my McIntosh amps? Any logic as to why you say above (I'm not doubting you, just curious as to what & why)

Next time I get some time at home to fool around I might try the difference, I've thus far, simply gone on Al's comment of using the 4 ohm tap.