Yet another SS "loon" becomes a TrUBEliever.....(MC-30's)

----------------

On 5/29/2004 12:50:00 AM Gilbert wrote:

Don't consider my budget on an amp, I mentioned earlier that I shelled out some bucks on 2 krell amps.

I want to hear from confident people that aren't affraid to speak their opinions. Or who won't feel walked all over just because another member disagrees with their opinon.

----------------

You want your last tube amps? No problem with the budget?

Look no further and buy their OTL in either 15W, 35W or 75W. In my opinion it's the best amps period. I prefer the 15W version in my case.

See them at www.tenoraudio.com.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Any amp can reproduce Led Zeppelin. A clock radio can reproduce a symphony. It's all a matter of how true it is to the original recording. A two-inch clock radio speaker is not going to yield the high fidelity of a Klipschorn, although it is conceivable that someone might prefer the sound of a clock radio."

Now I know why you push-pull people are SO hornies! 3.gif.

Stuff me with a goat, those Tenor OTL amplifiers look really well made and really expensive!

I love the weight, bias meters, 750 VA transformers and soft start, ever since hearing Ralph Karstens Atma-sphere OTL amplifiers, I have loved the quickness of OTL, but NOT met anybody who said they were a good match for big ole horns, interesting that in their newest version, they go back to a power transformer, what is the dynamic power reserve (headroom) of a flea-powered tube 2A3 amplifier?

6.gif

Thanks Sheltie.....If in early August, then I probably won't make it. I'll be taking my wife and 2 younguns on vacation. Were undecided on the exact date, but once I get a couple of projects off my back at work, I'll have a better feel for when our vacation date will be.

Thanks again....

See Ya!!

----------------

On 5/29/2004 6:22:27 PM DeanG wrote:

The real "problem", if you want to call it that -- is that most
everything
sounds real good, just different.

----------------

Bingo!!!!1.gif1.gif

Find the topology that fits, then move up that ladder.

Rick

----------------

On 5/29/2004 7:00:55 PM Colin wrote:

Stuff me with a goat, those Tenor OTL amplifiers look really well made and really expensive!

...ever since hearing Ralph Karsten’s Atma-sphere OTL amplifiers, I have loved the quickness of OTL, but NOT met anybody who said they were a good match for big ole horns....

----------------

I guess I should say that, except for a small noise problem that doesn't seem to interfere with the music, I think my 100-watt Joule-Electra monoblocs are a very nice match, sound-wise, for my K-horns. They don't cost much less than the Tenors, tho', and the Tenors do look nicer and better finished. I haven't heard any other OTLs, so I have no idea how the various brands and models would compare.

----------------

I love the weight, bias meters, 750 VA transformers and soft start, ever since hearing Ralph Karsten’s Atma-sphere OTL amplifiers, I have loved the quickness of OTL, but NOT met anybody who said they were a good match for big ole horns, interesting that in their newest version, they go back to a power transformer...

----------------

Well I've used and will use again the Tenor OTL with my Lamhorns. The Tenor are an excellent match with these. The 15 W was developped with horns in mind.

I'm wondering what the Atmasphere OTL used before having a power transformer in their latest version... White fusion?

painful: What's the painful reality on the price?

Dean....my suggestion about not worrying about price was born from you guys throwing tube amp prices around that were mentioned in the hundreds around. Can I drop a few hundred on an amp, without hurting, maybe even a 2 or 3 grand, but IF those are grotesquley priced amps (Similar to Krells Reference PowerSub, weighing in at $25,000), hell yea price is a consideration.

LOL -- the Tenors are obnoxiously priced. New retail comes in at around $25,000, but you can get them used for around $11,000 -- about as much as I have in my whole system -- and I have new Klipschorns.

Us peasants down here don't really have to spend more than $4K for amp(s) and preamp to get as good as it needs to be. That's a hell of a lot of money to someone like me.

----------------

On 5/29/2004 8:20:06 PM larryclare wrote:

----------------

...ever since hearing Ralph Karsten’s Atma-sphere OTL amplifiers, I have loved the quickness of OTL, but NOT met anybody who said they were a good match for big ole horns....

----------------

I guess I should say that, except for a small noise problem that doesn't seem to interfere with the music, I think my 100-watt Joule-Electra monoblocs are a very nice match, sound-wise, for my K-horns. They don't cost much less than the Tenors, tho', and the Tenors do look nicer and better finished. I haven't heard any other OTLs, so I have no idea how the various brands and models would compare.

----------------

I can't imagine better sounding amps then Larry's J-Es but they're the only OTLs I've heard also. I think they look beautiful too. I used to think they had bass issues until Larry discovered the woofer mounting problem and corrected it. I'd love to hear the Tenors to compare. I guess it's hard to beat the transparency and imaging the OTLs provide. Makes it much easier when learning the intricacies of classical music as each instrument seems to reach out and grab you from a different part of the room.

It should be interesting to compare those OTLs mentioned so far...of which I know a clear winner in terms of price: the Transcendent Sounds amps...and don't be fooled by their modest price. They are dead silent(!), transparent, yet sweet sounding....but I have already said that often enough, I guess 9.gif2.gif .

Wolfram

----------------

On 5/29/2004 12:50:00 AM Gilbert wrote:

DaddyDee; I wish like hell I'd a got off my a$$ an gone to the Ozark gathering at your place. Just a few hours drive for me. I was just a little too shy to attend. I'm a bit of an introvert too. But everytime I think about it, a great feeling of regret pass over me. I would of learned alot from you guys,...which is my main reason I'm on the Klipsch forum.

----------------

Yep, you would have enjoyed it. As a first time thing (for me) I didn't really know what to expect, but it was laid back and pretty introvert friendly.

Hope it will work for you to make it to Sheltie Dave's house later on in the summer.

You are right about the uniqueness of the Klipsch forum. Great place. Amazingly folks also enjoy themselves at the occasional get together "in the flesh".

Daddydee, this phemonenon is not unique to the Klipsch forum.

I have spent over half of my life seeing the country and many of the world's most enjoyable musicians - through 42 of the 50 US states. I find many commonalities between those "communities" formed around such interests and this one - because we share a common bond - the love of music.

Klipsch isn't the ultimate "thing" I'm chasing in regards to the hobby - reproducing beautiful music is. Klipsch isn't the end in itself, it is only a means to that end. The result of this is that moment when the magic really happens between those big speakers to a point where they disappear - and one becomes completely immersed in the music. I find that sharing that experience is a very powerful bonding mechanism. I get just as big of a kick out of seeing someone else's eyes light up from what they are hearing as I do experiencing that for myself.

I have found many friends through my travels on both fronts, and frequently combine them. When I hit the road for concerts, I'm also going through my mental checklist of fellow Klipschers to hang out and compare notes. Deadheads and Klipschers are really very much alike - just music freaks forever in search of that musical buzz. That search - and find - is a very unifying thing.

Some of the best people and friends are folks met through both hobbies. I'm not sure why, but I find something special in folks who really appreciate music. Meeting those people has been just as rewarding of an experience as the hobby - and in many cases, more so. I am married in large part because of this...and reinforces one of the best benefits of all - the joy of sharing.

This explains why we are pretty much a family around here. Like families, we fight, we argue, we love, we share.

The power of music.

----------------

On 5/30/2004 12:46:06 AM Colin wrote:

Tenor went back to power transformer, Atma-sphere announced $100K OTL amp, 475 watts into 3 to 16 ohms!

6.gif

----------------

What do you mean by Tenor went back to power transformer???

They already had one (even two...), so does any tube amps, preamps, phonostages I know!

If you are refering to an output transformer their hybrid serie have a solid state output stage. But no output transformer.