• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 6/6/2004 4:01:20 PM Rdmarsiii wrote:

I went and saw one today. I like it. A little on the expensive side though. I wouldnt mind having one.

----------------

At Victoria's Secret?

Wait, what are you talking about??

Took it out today for a bit-o-fun. Man, that thing is gnarly! Flat has no problems going through the mud and what not...

Then we came home and had a moment, I gave it it's first bath. Just like bathing your brand new babie for the first time. 10.gif

All kidding aside, m00n, I wish you many years of safe fun and much luck with your new 'baby'. I wish I had one. One of these days I'll show you a picture of my truck. With my old jeep I had to get out of it and switch the hubs over on each wheel in order to get it in 4 wheel. Anyone remember that? Later, BBB 9.gif

I gotta find the pics but I should have them somewhere.....its a beautiful picture or two i might add. the entire drivers side was smashed. Oh and insurance paid for it.....and than when they went and gave us our new premium for the next six months...it went down $100 instead of up....9.gif

----------------

On 6/6/2004 8:35:59 PM Indyjeep wrote:

and than when they went and gave us our new premium for the next six months...it went down $100 instead of up....
9.gif

----------------

Wow! How in the hell did you manage that stoke of luck.

"I like it a lot. I do have buyers remorse though.. I hated saying goodby to my truck and I let the basturds talk me out of my $1,300 stereo. *F* in the biggest way. At least I got the best of the wranglers.

I hate buying cars... For about 2 hours you always think you got a great deal, then after things calm down, you get home and it starts to sink in, you realize just how bad *THEY* *F'd* *YOU*...

I suck at buying cars. I always take it up the butt."

I've bought a few, and have perfected a method for such transactions.

1. Usually, I have a pretty firm idea as to what I want, before I go to the dealership. If I don't know the exact make and model I want, I have it narrowed to 2 or 3 models. The only reason I ever go to a dealership before ultimately deciding on a model is to test drive/inspect a model I am unfamiliar with....but generally, I know what I want before I go to the dealer.

1A. If this involves a trade, try to sell your trade yourself, and use the big three valuation books (Edmunds, KBB, and NADA) to set a selling price. You will only get wholesale value from a dealer (at best - usually, you get less), and it removes one variable (and method of hiding the price of the new vehicle) from the dealer. When you go to the dealer, you are negotiating THE PRICE OF THE CAR YOU ARE BUYING, and NOTHING ELSE.

2. I also have financing figured out in advance of the dealer visit. NEVER GO TO THE DEALER BEFORE ARRANGING FINANCING. Visit your bank, credit union, etc. to get a pre-approval. This way, you are walking into the dealership with MONEY IN HAND, and you can then use this as a negotiation tool. Often, that 0% financing comes at a cost - like paying top price for the car, or excluding rebates when such financing offers are taken. Look at the total picture here.

3. I visit several dealers who have the car I want, or can get it. I say, I am looking for "x model, with x number of mileage". If they don't have it, I ask for a card from the salesperson, print my name and number and model desired on it, hand it back to them, and tell them when they get one, call me.

4. Once found and test driven (and assuming no glaring problems are found initially), that car WILL sit in my driveway for 48 hours - minimum, before a purchase decision is made (I like to pick up cars on Friday, then go back to the dealer on Monday). This will give me an opportunity to kick the tires and let the ether of the deal wear off - and to find all of those imperfections/idiosyncracies of the vehicle. Many car buying guides tell you not to do this (they feel that once you get it in your driveway, you mentally own it), but I feel the opposite. It takes a weekend to find out if the car really is right. On used cars, it also gives me a chance to check for fluid leaks, signs of flood damage or other hidden problems, or signs of abuse.

5. IF the car passes MY inspection, then I go back to the dealership to negotiate the deal. I come armed with all 3 valuation methods, on every level (Edmonds, KBB, and NADA values, for wholesale, private party price, and retail dealer price, as well as new car dealer cost if it applies), as well as the Carfax history report. Also, I run loan amortization tables available through various websites, to compare the anticipated future value of the loan to the anticipated future value of the vehicle. This assures that if your vehicle is totaled, that the value of the loan never exceeds the value of the vehicle, and just how much you lose if the vehicle is totaled in an accident, and at any particular time during the loan term.

Being armed with all of the above will make most dealers shudder. They, by this time, come to understand that I know what I am doing, and that usually clears lots of BS off of the table.

6. Once satisfied that the vehicle and price is right (in both vehicle expense and insurance), then it's time for contract signing day. Here's another spot where most people screw up.

NEVER sign any contract that you do not understand. Dealers always rush this to hide the numbers, and just what TERMS you are agreeing to. NEVER sign any "hold harmless" agreement with a dealer (and yes, this is more common than not), as you are signing away your rights to sue the dealer if he mislead you or did anything illegal. TAKE YOUR TIME on contract signing day - as much as you need to understand exactly what you are signing.

If the dealer refuses to go along with any of the above, I WALK. Walking out of a dealership without the car says it all - and causes dealers to change thier ways, really quick. Remember, YOU are in charge. There's no reason to be scared at the dealer, because you are prepared. When prepared, you use your head instead of your heart. The heart becomes happy on a long term basis when you use your head at the time of purchase.

----------------

On 6/4/2004 2:08:08 PM Olorin wrote:

----------------

On 6/3/2004 3:17:33 PM cablacksmith wrote:

Don't diss the Jeep Cherokee, that is one tough truck! My son owes his life to how tough it was! While the body was trashed, only one spring pearch (right front) was damaged in the wreck. If it wasn't for that, it could have been driven home!

----------------

I gotta know -- HOW did he put that truck THERE?

----------------

I have been away for a few days. First, Congrats on the new Jeep, I am sure it will bring you lots of pleasure!

Now, how did that Cherokee get on that car?

Well my son was comming down the road (visable in the background of the first picture)in the rain, lost it on a deep patch of water (he was going too fast to slow down, that is a 6% grade!) veered off the right side of the road, over a cliff, into the TOP of a 5th wheel trailer which was parked STRAIGHT in the driveway and pushed it into the house the then bounced down onto the car he landed on with both the jeep and the car sliding about 40 feet down the driveway.

Moon,

Well Done and welcome to the Jeep club. You will see that some Jeep people wave at you as you pass buy and others just pass you buy.

I know there were jokes about the bra, but I would buy one and fast. The first 2 weeks I had my Jeep the only marks I had on it were on the front grill that rocks hit and took out little specks of paint.

I bought a bra from the dealer and it was the best $100 I spent. No more dings. It's a two piece.

I have already replaced the windshield. You are sitting up high and it just seems Trunks, SUV's and Jeeps are rock magnets.

Take the hardtop off until winter and get a bikini top. It is fun driving topless. (I have heard all the jokes from the people I work with).

I also changed out the stereo and speakers. I replaced the roll bar speakers with MSB quartz. I changed the CD player with a Blaupaunk. Specs were great, but skipped like a banshee. I ended up changing it out with a Sony. Specs are weak, but I can drive down railroad tracks and it doesn't skip.

Again enjoy your Jeep and I hope to pass you someday on the road.

Danny

dbflash

Yeah I wouldn't mind getting one, but, at the same time, it's a jeep man!10.gif If I don't get it durty and play whats the point? I mean I'd like to think that I can take it 4x4n' and not scratch the paint, but, somehow I suspect that is just an unreal hope.

Looking into getting a new rear bumper for it, one that has a tow hitch and swing tire arm. Suprised that they mount the spare tire directly to the back tailgate... Seems odd that they would do that.

As far as the wave? I wave to all other YJ and TJs. Only a few wave back... Man if you can't keep with tradition, you forfit your write to drive a jeep. 2.gif Hell, I've yet seen a jeep chick wave back yet. Girls.. Geeze. 2.gif

Oh and picky, why are you jelous? That's a great looking truck! 10.gif