Name that child

Colin

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krupp, so in school his name will be listed as "Unger, Krupp."

If you ever travel to Germany and register the room in your son's name, you might get the best suite for free. At one point, the Krupp family of Germany was the richest family in Europe. Their net worth declined following the end of WWII and the partial breakup of their financial empire.

You can tell people that you work at Klipsch as a hobby to take up time2.gif

Give the kid a "regular guy" name like Bob, Joe, Tom, Bill, John, Jim etc. Use the diminutive; call him Bobby, Joey, Billy, Danny etc.

Under no circumstances give the kid a trendy name that will tie him to a certain time and sound stupid in 20 years. Don't use names from soap opera characters.

Don't use pompous names like Whitney or Cabot that are only suitable for East Coast Old Money and make Midwesterners look like the rubes they usually are if they use them.

Under no circumstances call the kid Sean, only real Irish people should use this name and they seldom do anyway, prefering "John".

People that mispronounce and therefore misuse Sean and spell it "Shawn" should be horsewhipped.

Don't pick a kid's name to make yourself look clever or cool; it's the kid that's gonna pay the price and feel like a nerd, not you.

And for Christ's sake don't call the kid Jonathan, that's so arch and fey. Better to use John and then call the kid Jack.

The most important thing is don't give the kid a name that other kids can make fun off. Or get decked over. Kids are the cruelest. Remember school? Don't name him Vlad i was kidding. Personally I think you should name him. And that should be good enough for anyone. Unless you get a kick out of us naming names, and that's cool too.

----------------

On 6/8/2004 3:07:13 PM hooting_monkey wrote:

Name - Origin - Meaning

Female:

Aiko - Japanese - Little Loved One

***Eico?

Luna - Latin - The Moon (Only if born at night.)

***Everyone will call her Lunatic.

Breanne - Celtic - Strong, Virtuous, Honorable

***They'll call her Peeanne.

Bethany - Hebrew - Life

***Methandme.

Sanora - Spanish - Plesant Sounding (Kinda like Klipsch...)

***Everyone's seen "The Ring", they'll call her Samara.

And that wasn't a nice girl.

Rashida - Turkish - Righteous

***Good name for a African American girl.

Male:

Caden - American - Fighter

***Gay. I knew a guy named Caden, I hated him.

Emory - German - Leader

***More Gay.

Dayshaun - American - God's Gift of Hope

C'mon, you know damn well they'll call him Gayshaun.

Gustov - German - Staff of God

No way in hell I would name a kid that. Just call him Stalag.

Dannon - Hebrew - The Lord is My Judge

Of course everyone will tease the kid about Yogurt, calling him "Yogurt Boy" or something.

I'm with Tom. Name your kid a normal name.

• Moderators

I know, that's the frustrating part. If it's not his name, they'll pick on him for something else. I guess it's a part of life, though. It's how I teach him to handle it that's important.

But of course, I don't want to make it any easier for the bullies. I really want to go with George because of the strong family background, and I know my mom wants me to use her maiden name for his middle name, which is Bishop, but I fear for the poor kid at the playground. Too bad kids can be so mean. I'd hate to pick a name just because it's "safe," but has no real meaning to me.

And yes, of course I'll be the one to ultimately pick. I just like seeing what everyone comes up with 1.gif

Amy---George is a fine name. Resist using a family surname as a middle name, this works only for East Coast Old Money, you know, the people who get into Yale with a B average. For others it sounds silly and social-climberish.

The best way to keep your kid from being bullied is to teach him to stand-up for himself and teach him to strike when threatened. That's what my Dad (whose nickname in the 1930s of the West Side of Chicago was "Slaughter") taught me and I taught my kids. Nobody ever bullied a Brennan, never.

I know this isn't very modern advice but it's good nonetheless. I raised 4 children on my own (2 daughters and 2 sons), my wife died when we were 36. All the kids turned out good. You can trust me. I should write a book.

2.gif

I would recommend a good standard U.S. certified name from the bible, specifically avoiding any names with more than 2 syllables.

You can't go wrong with that.

Here's some that are just PLAIN WRONG:

Willie

Dick

Peter

Wang

-or-

Spud

DM2.gif