OH MY GOD THIS NBA GAME IS CRAAAAZY!

nicholtl

----------------

On 6/9/2004 10:23:54 AM TBrennan wrote:

picky---Well actually I consider any interest in professional sports beyond a casual one stupid. Following sports and watching lots of games is hardly an intelligent activity.

High school and college sports are a little different as there is a communal connection between the fans and players; you have the boola-boola thing going. But that should fade to a more casual interest after graduation, you know, when you should be doing adult things like earning a living and raising your kids to not be idiots.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps a bit strong Tom but I sorta agree. There was at time I couldn't miss one minute of a Packer Game for fear that they would lose because I wasn't watching and cheering. This included pre-season games and especially Bear Games. One day I was mowing the lawn and realized that the game was starting in a few minutes. I had more than a few minutes of lawn to mow. I continued mowing and a light went on in my head. I never again; felt it necessary to allow "a game" to dictate how I spent my time.

Long seasons, ordinary play, diluted talent and high ticket prices may have contributed to my overall lack of interest. The thought that there will never be another Willie Mays, Walter Payton, Wayne Gretzke, Arnold Palmer or Cris Evert might have something to do with it as well.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If they foul away from the ball under the two minute mark, i believe the rule stands that the lakers get freethrows as well as the ball back... kind of like a technical foul. So that strategy of fouling shaq wouldn't work (assuming i remember the rule correctly).

The NHL is most likely not going to be playing for a LOOOONG time. As many teams and nearly the salary of the NBA with a fraction of the interest and revenue. Unless the players agree to a lower cap and probably contraction of several teams, the NHL won't be back.

I used to love watching hockey, but diluted talent and crazy player movement has really turned me off. 20 teams is probably a good number.

----------------

On 6/9/2004 9:28:10 AM Dual Woofers wrote:

----------------

On 6/9/2004 9:18:57 AM TBrennan wrote:

They're still playing pro basketball? In June?

----------------

YUP , and pro hockey up untill this week anyway.

The seasons are getting crazy , hockey is just stupid. Way to many games and ticket prices are too high as well , but someone has to pay the multi million dollar contracts .

Soon they'll be playing almost year round .

----------------

Because the NBA and NHL cut into MLB broadcasts, Baseball Tonight, and Sportscenter time. The other major issue I have is how infrequently the teams play, especially in the NBA playoffs. 2 games a week, in the playoffs? Just get it over with. At least they play baseball every day.

I'm not positive, but I think the avg. salary in NBA and NHL is not higher than MLB. The NBA is about 3x that of MLB and NHL is about the same.

Dual Woofers:
I've often wondered why others have difficulty with long sports seasons, because the ones doing the complaining usually aren't the ones watching them any way. So, what's the dif, really?. Seasons increase when expansion teams are added. More teams = longer seasons. As for hockey being "stupid", aren't major league baseball players the highest-paid atheletes? Even so, that dosen't make their sport stupid to me. If you don't want to pay the high prices I suggest either watching the games at home as I do or not at all. It all just sounds like a bit like salary jealousy to me. Don't worry, there's probably going to be a hockey strike this year any way so you and TBrennan won't be burdened by the fact that somebody somewhere is out there playing hockey. After the resultant salary caps are in place, that will negate the remainder of your so-called "argument" and hockey players will then only earn 100 times our salaries.
9.gif
----------------

The bigger problem I have with the NHL and NBA is that their regular seasons are nearly meaningless, simply and 81 game seeding process. It seems pointless. Make the regular season mean somthing (like a total of 8 playoff teams) or make it shorter. While I liked the two-league, four division set up (4 playoff teams, division winners only) of baseball the best, having a total of 8 teams make the playoffs strikes a nice balance. Although I will certainly miss not beable to witness a true pennant race where the two best teams battle it out til the last day of the year. The loser simply gets the wild-card. No more 78 Red Sox-Yankees, 91 Dodgers-Giants, 67 Red Sox-Twins-White Sox-Tigers, etc, etc.

Well, to foul who or when shouldn't have been an issue. If Billups or who ever it was who missed that last lay up driving to the basket would have made it.... they would have been up by five with only time for a chance at a three point attempt for the Lakers. It was an awesome shot by Kobe, but I believe the Pistons will win the championship. Wouldn't it be nice to see them take three in the big D and be done with them? Judging by the last two games I wouldn't say that that would be out of the question!

Picky : Don't mean to spat with you 2.gif were ok on that i hope .

If ray is still there next year and you ever get a chance to see him at a game or signing session or whatever , just mention my name he'll know who i am.

Matter of fact i dated his wifes sister back when i was in my early 20's , hell that seem like a lifetime ago. 6.gif Rays wife bridgette still owns a dance studio here in town , both her parents and his parents still live here.

Fort Saskatchewan is a small city of 13000 , i've lived here for 30 years so i know everyone who's anyone .

Rays dad floyd ( ex-city cop ) was a practice goaltender for the edmonton oilers back in there heyday . If you ever get a chance to watch playoff re-runs from the early 80's you will see a young Ray whitney in the oilers players box as a stick boy !!!!!

PS: Heres a little extra for you , i played against mark messier in juniors when he was with the ST Albert saints . I still have fond memories of creaming his *** into the boards !! Guess he got the last laugh on me EH ???

What's funny is how many people I've met that are straight up band wagon-jumpers. They once loved the Bulls. Now it's the Lakers. Wonder who it'll be next?

Random question: how many people on this forum are actually LIVING in Los Angeles or Detroit right now? Do people in Detroit drive their cars around with big Pistons flags sticking out of their windows like they do here in LA?

nicholtl: I live in Detroit and I personally am seeing few Pistons flags on cars but during the NHL playoffs we see thousands of those little 12"x12" window flags sticking up on cars & trucks with Red Wings on them. Some cars have as many a 4 of them: one on each windows. It's crazy. On guy in the area drives his huge, lifted 4x4 pickup around with and 8-foot flag flying from the bed area. -Not really my speed.

----------------

On 6/9/2004 6:35:39 PM nicholtl wrote:

What's funny is how many people I've met that are straight up band wagon-jumpers. They once loved the Bulls. Now it's the Lakers. Wonder who it'll be next?

Random question: how many people on this forum are actually LIVING in Los Angeles or Detroit right now? Do people in Detroit drive their cars around with big Pistons flags sticking out of their windows like they do here in LA?

----------------

I'm a different kind of band-wagon jumper in the NBA... My favorite team is the team playing the Lakers 9.gif . I can't stand them... I really hope they lose just so Malone can't get his ring--- It would be cooler seeing Detroit win it anyways. Oh and I live in L.A. as well... so I get a lot of crap for being anti-laker4.gif .

----------------

On 6/9/2004 10:23:54 AM TBrennan wrote:

picky---Well actually I consider any interest in professional sports beyond a casual one stupid. Following sports and watching lots of games is hardly an intelligent activity.

High school and college sports are a little different as there is a communal connection between the fans and players; you have the boola-boola thing going. But that should fade to a more casual interest after graduation, you know, when you should be doing adult things like earning a living and raising your kids to not be idiots.
1.gif

----------------

The only sport that I really care about is skiing, and only when I am actually out there doing it. That is one advantage of being on the ski patrol is that as far as the skiing industry is concerned, I am considered a "professional" within the sport, thus I am often entitled to all the perks there of, such as deep discounts on gear, free lift tickets to many ski areas, etc.

Yeah, it is fun to take in a ball game every now and again, but usually I am out doing other things (such as the aforementioned skiing). I just don't care enough about basketball to really even care who wins the finals. Regardless of who wins, I still gotta get and go to work in the morning like I've always done, and so forth.

Steven----Oh yeah, I admire that your interest in a sport entails your actually doing it instead of sitting watching someone else do it. Novel that, eh?

One of my sons is a hockey nut (and loves the Red Wings). He's played the game since he was a kid and still, at the age of 28, plays the game. Tough kid and an excellent retainer.

nicholtl: The Pistons did really well last night in hanging onto their lead throughout the game. They held LA to less than 20 per quarter and below 70 at the end. The big question I have is why LA didn't throw the ball to Bryant more often? He was open a lot, but no ball. (??)

I think it's more the pistons defense being excellent than the lakers just playing sub par. If you look at the earlier eastern games they were always very low scoring, especially the pistons and pacers because both teams are so good defensively. The lakers are an offensive team that seems to have gotten used to getting open lanes and shots, the pistons aren't giving those to them and they're suffering because of it.