OH MY GOD THIS NBA GAME IS CRAAAAZY!

nicholtl

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Pistons had the game all sewn up until Bryant's awesome, 2-second three. The Stones were so stunned after this that they never recovered. I admit the Lakers are one heck of a team and we all (in Detroit) knew that coming into this contest, but for me, last night was still a real heartbreaker! 15.gif

Go Stones!

----------------

On 6/9/2004 8:20:41 AM picky wrote:

The Pistons had the game all sewn up until Bryant's awesome, 2-second three. The Stones were so stunned after this that they never recovered. I admit the Lakers are one heck of a team and we all (in Detroit) knew that coming into this contest, but for me, last night was still a real heartbreaker!
15.gif

Go Stones!
----------------

Picky-I don't know about you, but with the way the Lakers were dropping threes and how hot Kobe was in the fourth, I was shocked that the Pistons didn't foul Shaq with about 3 seconds left. That game was a heartbreaker indeed, although there are several positives to take from the game. I don't know about you guys, but I think the Pistons have a chance to win it all. That wasn't my impression coming into the finals.

On another note, are Al Michaels and Co. paid by the Lakers or the ABC? From the sound of it, you'd think they were on the Lakers payroll. I wonder if Al gave Kobe a massage after the game?...9.gif

dkp: Yeah, exactly: We discussed the theory of fouling Shaq here at the office this morning, but that would have given them 2 free shots and posession so I doubt we would even have gone into OT at that point. Hindsight is worth how much??? 9.gif

I agree: ABC Sports last night was just like watching ESPN cover a Wings game. Michaels said, "Lakers and 6" halfway through the OT. Well, maybe so but, SHUT UP AL! So much for impartiality. Grrr! 7.gif

----------------

On 6/9/2004 9:18:57 AM TBrennan wrote:

They're still playing pro basketball? In June?

----------------

YUP , and pro hockey up untill this week anyway.

The seasons are getting crazy , hockey is just stupid. Way to many games and ticket prices are too high as well , but someone has to pay the multi million dollar contracts .

Soon they'll be playing almost year round .

----------------

On 6/9/2004 9:00:14 AM picky wrote:

dkp:
Yeah, exactly: We discussed the theory of fouling Shaq here at the office this morning, but that would have given them 2 free shots and posession so I doubt we would even have gone into OT at that point. Hindsight is worth how much???
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif">

----------------

They would not have gotten Posession after the free throws unless they fouled him away from the ball. They did pass it inside to Shaq with only a couple of seconds to go, would've been a good time to foul him.

toddvj: You are right. I don't know the game (basketball) all that well yet. I'm learning. 9.gif Thanks for the correction!

----------------

On 6/9/2004 9:28:10 AM Dual Woofers wrote:

The seasons are getting crazy , hockey is just stupid. Way to many games and ticket prices are too high as well , but someone has to pay the multi million dollar contracts .

----------------

Dual Woofers: I've often wondered why others have difficulty with long sports seasons, because the ones doing the complaining usually aren't the ones watching them any way. So, what's the dif, really?. Seasons increase when expansion teams are added. More teams = longer seasons. As for hockey being "stupid", aren't major league baseball players the highest-paid atheletes? Even so, that dosen't make their sport stupid to me. If you don't want to pay the high prices I suggest either watching the games at home as I do or not at all. It all just sounds like a bit like salary jealousy to me. Don't worry, there's probably going to be a hockey strike this year any way so you and TBrennan won't be burdened by the fact that somebody somewhere is out there playing hockey. After the resultant salary caps are in place, that will negate the remainder of your so-called "argument" and hockey players will then only earn 100 times our salaries.9.gif

Dual----And there is the sick spectacle of hockey played in Sun-Belt towns for fans that have never laced on a pair of skates in their life, nor shoveled the snow off the pond or warmed themselves by the fire barrel. These people have no connection to or clue about ice-hockey culture. (I do realize that SOME of these fans were once Northern people)

I consider this degenerate and akin to watching roller-derby: a pure spectator activity with no connection at all to one's own play and experiences.

----------------

On 6/9/2004 10:07:31 AM picky wrote:

toddvj:
You are right. I don't know the game (basketball) all that well yet. I'm learning.
9.gif
Thanks for the correction!

----------------

On 6/9/2004 9:28:10 AM Dual Woofers wrote:

----------------

Dual Woofers:
I've often wondered why others have difficulty with long sports seasons, because the ones doing the complaining usually aren't the ones watching them any way. So, what's the dif, really?. Seasons increase when expansion teams are added. More teams = longer seasons. As for hockey being "stupid", aren't major league baseball players the highest-paid atheletes? Even so, that dosen't make their sport stupid to me. If you don't want to pay the high prices I suggest either watching the games at home as I do or not at all. It all just sounds like a bit like salary jealousy to me. Don't worry, there's probably going to be a hockey strike this year any way so you and TBrennan won't be burdened by the fact that somebody somewhere is out there playing hockey. After the resultant salary caps are in place, that will negate the remainder of your so-called "argument" and hockey players
will then only earn 100 times our salaries
9.gif
----------------

9.gif9.gif

I thought that a foul on Shaq would have been a pretty smart thing to do. We're up by three, the big man doesn't hit many free shots and we've got some exceptional rebounders that can grab the loose ball after the last shot. The only problem would be if Shaq makes the first shot and intentionally misses the second in order to get the rebound out to his team. However, they still have only a few seconds to get the shot off. I don't know. Maybe they were better off letting the Lakers try for three. I didn't watch the entire game to judge the Pistons defense in close, but I saw the Lakers hitting quite a few threes near the end of the game...

Back to the Palace!!!

David

picky---Well actually I consider any interest in professional sports beyond a casual one stupid. Following sports and watching lots of games is hardly an intelligent activity.

High school and college sports are a little different as there is a communal connection between the fans and players; you have the boola-boola thing going. But that should fade to a more casual interest after graduation, you know, when you should be doing adult things like earning a living and raising your kids to not be idiots. 1.gif

----------------

On 6/9/2004 10:23:54 AM TBrennan wrote:

picky---Well actually I consider any interest in professional sports beyond a casual one stupid. Following sports and watching lots of games is hardly an intelligent activity.

High school and college sports are a little different as there is a communal connection between the fans and players; you have the boola-boola thing going. But that should fade to a more casual interest after graduation, you know, when you should be doing adult things like earning a living and raising your kids to not be idiots.
1.gif

----------------

the same could be said of your interest in music. why do you enjoy listening to professional recording artists and bands? why did your interest in music not stop at the higschool/college level? you find enjoyment in listening to professional artists because they creat a product that you find enjoyable, and realize that you yourself could never create. that is why you, and the rest of us pay to have recordings to listen to (or go to the trouble of stealing it). for pro sports folowers there is no difference. their passion is a game rather than music, which, when broken down, is no more "childish" or "stupid" than music.

PICKY : It's truely amazing how you can take a seemingly harmless post and extract olny enough information to assume i have an issue with pro sports my question to you is " are you becoming a troll " ?

Take a rest from yourself there big boy , i have seasons tickets to both the edmonton oilers and the edmonton eskimos ( thats CFL football just in case you don't know ) So picky i spend about $7000.00 a year on season tickets and don't sit on my *** at home not helping out the teams .

I never said " ANY SPORT WAS STUPID " the long season is whats stupid. The quality of the sport suffers with extended seasons , thats my issue . These guy's ( hockey at least ) are pretty much burnt by the end of the season,with all the travel and games . You don't have to take my word for it if you don't want to just go ask one of your friends that plays in the NHL .

If you don't have any freinds in the league you can talk with some of mine if you like , I work with joyce chilko hunter her husband is dave hunter from the 5 year stanley cup reining edmonton oilers . I see dave at least once a week and we talk hockey for hours. My next door neighbours were the whitneys i played street hockey with ray when he was just a teenager , if you don't know who ray whitney is then your not much of an NHL fan.

Mike commador ?? Calgary flames ?? His mom was my high school english teacher and his best freinds dad also works here with me , Richard Matvichuk from dallas stars ?? Also from fort saskatchewan , old drinking buddies !!

I could name another dozen guys i know that play in the show , all of them say the same thing " we really have to pace ourselves to make the end of the season " !!!!

Cut the season down by 1/3 then watch these guys wheel when they have energy . Basball pays so high because of the fan base , when was the last time you seen 90 thousand people at a hockey or basketball game ? more gate money higher salaries , pretty simple.

As far as salary envy , well i'm 40 and my 300k house is paid for as well as everything else i own , so money is a non-issue with me.

----------------

On 6/9/2004 6/9/2004 10:23:54 AM TBrennan wrote:

High school and college sports are a little different as there is a communal connection between the fans and players; you have the boola-boola thing going. But that should fade to a more casual interest after graduation, you know, when you should be doing adult things like earning a living and raising your kids to not be idiots. 1.gif

----------------

TBrennan: Everyone has a right to their opinion for sure! Although I am not about to call another's pastime as "stupid" I gotta agree with you that anything beyond a casual interest in professional sports is not my cup of tea. Living here in the North we all were "born" on ice skates, but my weak ankles had their own set of ideas. I played baseball like my dad and later; softball. I enjoy watching certain sports because it's a social function for me, my family and our circle of freinds. At times, there is a bit of sophomoric sis-boom-bah outburst displayed at these social gatherings, but it's just pure fun. I still wonder why some professional teams actually have cheerleaders! But, they do look good!

My wife and I, my 84 year old mother and our adult children all have watched nearly every Red Wings game this season. Why? To brag about it? Nope. We just enjoy each others company and the game itself, and I consider us casual fans. If getting together and sharing an evening of fun in front of the big screen makes us "stupid" then, guilty as charged. But we are not drawn to it like a deer's eyes in the headlights. And, although I don't owe anyone an explanation, we do have "adult" lives beyond watching sporting events. I think we've done just fine with our lives. I'm in engineering as is our son who has his own family now. My wife is in banking and is a genealogist when she isn't watching hockey, and I love ornamental gardening and photography. Our daughter is in the medical profession.

I agree that collegiate sports do draw communities together, but I argue that professional sports do too on another level. There's a reason way they call Detroit "Hockeytown" and I think I saw the entire city of Calgary envelope the Saddle Dome on game nights. Sounds like a fun time to me! 1.gif

Dual Woofers: Okay, okay okay...I see what you are saying. Sorry. I do NOT wish to become known as a troll. 14.gif I apologize if I misunderstood yours or anyone's post here. I thought because you brought high prices into the discussion that their salary and ticket prices was an issue with you. I stand corrected. You mentioned "hockey is just stupid". I realize now that you were refering to the length of the season. -My bad. 15.gif Easy there pal! I know who Ray Whitney is! He was one of my favorite Wings players last year! 2.gif

• Moderators

We all have our own hobbies/interests/obessions, whatever you want to call them. Keep in mind that no one here is better than another because of them.

I'm sure that there's a lot of things I do that could be pigeon-holed into a complete waste of time, but it doesn't feel like that to me. One person's waste of time could be another person's sanity-check.

In a nutshell, no personal attacks, please. If you don't like sports, super, but don't criticize someone else for doing so. (I happen to love sports, and was disappointed yet again in my Pacers)....

----------------

On 6/9/2004 11:12:57 AM Amy Unger wrote:

We all have our own hobbies/interests/obessions, whatever you want to call them. Keep in mind that no one here is better than another because of them.

I'm sure that there's a lot of things I do that could be pigeon-holed into a complete waste of time, but it doesn't feel like that to me. One person's waste of time could be another person's sanity-check.

In a nutshell, no personal attacks, please. If you don't like sports, super, but don't criticize someone else for doing so.
(I happen to love sports, and was disappointed yet again in my Pacers)....
----------------

Your loss was our gain! Sorry, but not too much!! ;)

Dual woofers-I agree with you about the length of the season. I can't imagine these guys playing 80 games and then taking their play up a notch for the playoffs!

David