What Music Should I buy This Weekend

thebes

I've hit a horrible imbalance between gear and and the reason for buying it.

Lately the gear has won. Got a litle coin jingling in my pocket. Need to address this imbalance. I listen to blues, rock, new wave, world, reggae, jazz,

etc.

Posting this here, because the DVD, Music section is kinda moribund and focused mostly on films. Actually it should be moved up to the Home Audio group. My apologies.

OK. Want to buy 10 new cd's this Sunday. Suggestions anyone?

1812. I like that idea. Got a lot of Marley (my ex hung with him when he had a beach band in Negril (bye the bye, the tine I saw him was the best concert I ever experienced and I was at Woodstock!). George Harrison, don't own him great suggeston. John is that a goof on me or the world's longest name for a rock band?

Money's getting hot in my pocket need more suggestions.

Check out a band called the "Swingin Lovers". A jazz/blues band reminiscent of the big band era but with a modern spin. All young guys (nice horn section), very intoxicating horns/vocals/standup bass (and I'm a rocker). I saw these guys at the Meridian Hotel in Paris the second week in May. http://www.swinginlovers.com/

I grabbed their CD while I was there, and I keep playing it over and over. Lots of short songs that end too soon. There CD puts the Klipsch horns through their paces. You will be thrilled to pick this CD up.

Nice coupon!

Here are some suggestions:

*Anything by NRBQ ("Kick Me Hard," "NRBQ in Yankee Stadium"

*"Apollo 18" by TMBG

*Anything by The Asylum Street Spankers (check out their DVD, too)

*I happen to dig Acoustic Alchemy, too, even though people call their stuff Smooth Jazz" (yuk)

*Jennifer Warnes, "Famous Blue Raincoat"

*Red Elvises, "I Wanna See You Bellydance"

It would blow my mind if someone actually ever followed one of my suggestions, though...

Gov't mule-dose album. Then the tribute stuff after Woody died. 8.gif the deep end vol.1 and vol.2. This will cover alot of ground. Blues, jazz, funk. rock. Great stuff. You will dig the mule also known as government mule. Hear are some guest appearances for the vol.2 Jack Casady, Les Claypool, Billy Cox, Alphonse Johnson, Phil Lesh, Tony Levin, Meshell Ndegeocello, Jason Newsted, George PorterJr., Rocco Prestia, Dave Schools, Chris Squire, Plus: Rob Barraco, David Grisman, Chuck Leavell, Danny Louis, Gary LUcas, John Medeski, johnny Neel, Art Nevelle, Pete Sears, Bernie Worrell, James Hetfield. Ok some guest on vol 1 I did it backwards. Bass: Jack Bruce, Oteil Burbridge, Bootsy Collins, John Entwistle, Flea, Roger Glover, Mike Gordon, Larry Graham, Stefan Lessard, Mike Watt, Willie Weeks, Chris Wood, Plus: Greg Allman, Rob Barraco, Randall Brambiett, Jerry Cantrell, Audley Freed, Eddie Harsh, Chuck Leavill, Little Milton, Danny Louis, Page McConnell, John Scofield, Derek Trucks, Bernie Worrell. I think i dig the vol 1 better but it's all good. I like the original mule with just a trio the best. Great great band.

Agree with Wheelman to the fullest..Gov't Mule is the best band to come down the pike in a long while! Still can't believe Woody's gone at such a young age..Warren and Matt keep playing tho..check out any of their releases..The Deep End Vol 2 has one of my faves, their cover of Tower of Power's "What is Hip"..what a rockin song!!

Steve

Govt Mule Deepest End!

Two, count them two song packed CDs with 20 songs and over two and a half hours of music! Did I mention it also comes with a DVD? This DVD has twenty songs also and has over Three hours of songs, and the songs have very, very little overlap so there are six hours kick *** music. Here is a recommend from B&N:

B Shaffer (shafferb@hotmail.com), 10/9/2003,

And the Grammy for best live album goes to...

The CD was a real treat to listen to, and although I haven't been able to finish the DVD (3 hours of music just on the DVD; 6 hours of music total with a few songs overlapping) I have been pleased so far. Many extend jams by a lot of talented people who were apparently having a great time. I definitely believe Allen Woody would have been happy!

----------------

On 6/12/2004 12:17:18 AM wheelman wrote:

Gov't mule-dose album. Then the tribute stuff after Woody died.
8.gif
the deep end vol.1 and vol.2. This will cover alot of ground. Blues, jazz, funk. rock. Great stuff. You will dig the mule also known as government mule. Hear are some guest appearances for the vol.2 Jack Casady, Les Claypool, Billy Cox, Alphonse Johnson, Phil Lesh, Tony Levin, Meshell Ndegeocello, Jason Newsted, George PorterJr., Rocco Prestia, Dave Schools, Chris Squire, Plus: Rob Barraco, David Grisman, Chuck Leavell, Danny Louis, Gary LUcas, John Medeski, johnny Neel, Art Nevelle, Pete Sears, Bernie Worrell, James Hetfield. Ok some guest on vol 1 I did it backwards. Bass: Jack Bruce, Oteil Burbridge, Bootsy Collins, John Entwistle, Flea, Roger Glover, Mike Gordon, Larry Graham, Stefan Lessard, Mike Watt, Willie Weeks, Chris Wood, Plus: Greg Allman, Rob Barraco, Randall Brambiett, Jerry Cantrell, Audley Freed, Eddie Harsh, Chuck Leavill, Little Milton, Danny Louis, Page McConnell, John Scofield, Derek Trucks, Bernie Worrell. I think i dig the vol 1 better but it's all good. I like the original mule with just a trio the best. Great great band.

----------------

LOOKS LIKE I WAS THREE MINUTES LATE wheelman, DARN SPELLCHECK!

I'd go for the NEW limited edition box set from CCR "Absolute Originals" on the Analogue Productions label. 3.gif

"You can bet your arse that Fantasy is kicking themselves for not doing this themselves. And when Analoge Productions license term is up in a year or so, you can bet your butt that Fantasy will call back the masters and re-do it themselves, with extra added treble for more "detail". Then, the Analogue Productions version will pass into history and you will be kicking yourself for not buying it when you had a chance! Trust me on this. Remember DCC?"

Only 2500 copies available...I got #0026 2.gif

If you have an FYE store nearby, you should try to find their blues sampler disc, volume one. It's one of the "FYE Selects" samplers with Z.Z. Hill, Bobby "Blue" Bland, Johnnie Taylor, Beat Daddys, and others. You may have seen a TV commercial for a blues cd with many of the same songs.....Down Home Blues, Last Two Dollars, Telephone Telephone, etc. Most of the songs are great and the sound quality is amazing. Since you said you like blues, I really think you'd love this cd. Good luck, Rick.