Modern day " vs " NOS 300b tubes , your choice ?

Dale W

Anyone with deep pockets do a whole lot of 300b comparisions ?

Those with a 300b past know the price point of the NOS kingpins in this group , but besides AVVT is there anything else below $300.00 per tube thats caught your attention .

I know this is a very broad question that is very dependent on the curcuit your 300b is running in but i was looking as much for a " HEY " stay away from this tube as i am for a " HEY " this tube has sounded good to me .

Yes gentleman we all know how good the WE tube is , thats just a given with the 300B and all the reading i've done .Price point reflects it's quality as well .

Any hidden treasures ?

I know a few of you have given into the lower powered 2A3 over the 300B

( which is " fine " by the way , were not comparing in this thread ) I was just intrested in your opinions on a 300B tube that you guys felt sounded decent on your klipsch fed rig .

This means sounded good to " you " !! thats the important part .

I could care less about some article written by someone with who knows what agenda , i'm more intrested in the opinions of you guys here on this forum that have used different 300B's with your own klipsch speakers.

I can search the inter-net till my fingers bleed if i want technical information on the 300B , but no where on the net am i going to find the opinions that may be here .

Unlike some , i have have come to value the opinions of our SET crowd .

PS: JEFF ? You liked the valve art 300b , i've got a quad of there kt-88 that never impressed me anymore than what i paid for them ( cheap ) Meaning " yes " i guess they sound ok for what i had to paid for a new quad but thats about as far as i'd take that opinion.

Dale,

I used to have a Cayin amp that used 300b tubes. I tried AVVT Mesh Plates (very open sounding), AVVT 37C (open and warmer, in the long run I preferred this to the Meshies and the rest), TJ/Full Music 300B (similar in terms of airiness to the AVVT Mesh), Svetlana 300B (glorious midrange and no reliability problem with this pair), Sovtek (better than the Chinese tubes the amp came with, quite balanced and certainly not a bad tube).

Still the Cayin (which was decent but obviously there are better 300b amps around) was sold when I got the Eico and later when I had the Wright 3.5 monos I preferred the somewhat leaner sound of the 2A3.

Wolfram

The Billington Gold are of chinese manufacture, either from TJ or the cie that make tubes for Valve Art. But from the look of it, I'd bet that there are the same thing than Valve Arts, at 2 time the price. Audio Note and Golden Dragon also rebranded Valve Art Tubes (at 4 time the price this time).

Billington Gold probably buys large batches and matches them per pair and probably reject the tubes that test like crap.

For sure Billington does not make the tubes.

----------------

On 6/17/2004 2:02:56 PM painful reality wrote:

The Billington Gold are of chinese manufacture, either from TJ or the cie that make tubes for Valve Art. But from the look of it, I'd bet that there are the same thing than Valve Arts, at 2 time the price. Audio Note and Golden Dragon also rebranded Vale Art Tubes (at 4 time the price this time).

Billington Gold probably buys large batches and matches them per pair and probably reject the tubes that test like crap.

For sure Billington does not make the tubes.
----------------

I concur with Painful that Billington does not make these tubes, but probably rebrands them from a Chineese manufacturer as with their 2A3 offerings. I have seen and heard their 2A3 product, and would not spend serious money on them. YTMV.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 6/17/2004 2:27:56 PM NOSValves wrote:

Dale,

you ventured into the Darkside
2.gif

Craig

----------------

LOL :) Never scared to try something different

2.gif

Hell whats money anyway ? can't take it with you and be dam 'ed if i'm going to leave any behind for the wife to spend on who knows what .9.gif

Just wondering how y'all rate the entry-level Shuguang 300B-98 tubes that come as standard equipment on many new 300B SE power amps today. I've never heard a 300B-driven amp yet, and I've read somewhere that these basic Chinese tubes aren't that bad sounding for what they are...they're not in the same league as WE obviously, but fairly good for the money. If any of you have experienced this tube with your Klipsch loudspeakers, I'd like to know what you think. My limited budget will force me to keep these Shuguangs for awhile; I'll first replace the less expensive 6J7G drivers and 5U4G rectifier with good ol' American/British/German NOS on my yet-to-arrive BEZ Model T3B 300B SET amp.

• 1 month later...

In my amp (Cary 300SEI) the WE's sounded best by far. I tried Sovtec, EH and a pair that were branded "Jolida". It was no contest. Bear in mind that was about a year ago and I never tried any of the meshies. There's quite a bit of discussion on this matter over on the Audio Asylum. Many posters are having great results with some of the newer 300B's.

Chris