• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 6/21/2004 9:37:41 PM paulparrot wrote:

Annarchist,

I think you are taking things way too seriously. You've had your knickers in a twist for weeks now. Do you do anything but complain about the sorry state of a moderated forum or proclaim your animosity to me?

Why yes Paul I do. I have started and/or contributed on several threads in recent days/weeks dealing with Phono Stages, the Consonance M100, provided a recommendation on music, and posted a frequency response graph on the Heresy within my own listening room. If that is not enough, I apologize; perhaps I can work on my tendency to avoid repeating the same recommendations ad nauseum and stop restricting myself from commenting on every audio post even if I have nothing to contribute to the conversation at hand.

My complaints aren't the 'sorry state of a moderated forum' but rather the fact the changes haven't eliminated the trolls and baiters to this point.

I have no animosity towards you Paul. I don't know you. Many say you are a nice guy off the forum. I have seen you post some helpful information in the past. I take exception to hypocrisy and closed minds... hence I object to some of your posts where you bait and inflame and then decide to fault others when they respond in the manner you intended to provoke.

Now tube lover (or whatever the handle is this week) is an entirely different story. I am not certain what purpose she serves other than to make inflammatory comments. Frankly, every time I see one of her posts, I question why man ever decided to interfere with nature and natural selection.

I agree that there are a lot of great loudspeakers out there and great systems. I recently heard the B&W 800 Signature, driven by ss amplification, vinyl front end. Wow, great sound. Based on sound quality alone you would have to put this gear in the top 5% in the current market. The purchase price of the B&W system however, is equivalent to the purchase price of a small apartment. But I then heard an even better sound (to my ears) consisting of the Avantgarde Duo, Magnum Dynalab integrated and Sony SACD - total Australian system cost $35,000 plus. Half the price of the B&W system.

Then we come to the ultimate Klipsch system, consisting of the respected Klipschorn speakers, a middling cost tube amplifier and a suitable SACD/CD/Vinyl frontend, still offering outstanding sound quality in the top 5% of the current hi-fi market - but for half the price again of the Avantgarde system. How Klipsch do it for the money, I don't know, but give me the Heritage series anytime. The money I save buying Klipsch can buy a lot of records and cd's.

Must be great to be in the US if you are a Klipsch lover.

Here in Greece:

2nd hand pair of Khorns available now (in reasonable condition - 1987, I think) - $8000.

Compare to:

2nd hand pair of B&W Nautilus 802's (in perfect condition - hardly played - 2000) - $2500

Go figure!!

That is from the local paper - also a pair of Nautilus 801's came up a few weeks ago for $3500.

The only problem, of course, and the reason the B&W's are so much cheaper - is the amplification. Basically there are 2 realistic options pricewise - Tony's 500 wpc digital Yamaha (at around $3000 with discounts) or my old friend Tsakiridis with 400 wpc KT88 tube amps (4 monoblocks) at around $4500.

Everything else that will drive them properly would make the B&W option more expensive overall than the KHorns - which can be easily driven by amps costing $600 to $1000 - over here.

(Side note: I dont think the moderation is working yet. This much trolled thread should have been shut down according to the new rules - yet it lives still - whilst others that were far less offensive have been closed / deleted or moved to the General Forum. this level of inconsistency is beginning to bug me more than a little!)

Why I own klipschorns:

Like many, I perceive the venerable k-horn to offer real world, state-of-the-art performance, for a reasonable price that mere mortals can afford. The reason I qualify my praise with "real world" is that while k-horns don't extend flat to 20hz or to 20khz, I don't consider that a requiremnet in the real world for music reproduction.

Tom, hang in there! I appreciate your sharing of your experience with other horn systems with us. It would be a much less interesting forum if the only thing allowed was a blind worship of all things klipsch.

Klipschorns offer the sound we like in a reasonably sized "all in one" solution. I've had a pair as my main speakers since about 1980. Can they do everything better than every other speaker? If we look at it reasonably, not likely. But they do most things so well while mainaining a resonable size/cost ratio that they are the best "ultimate" answer in most cases.

I just replied to someone who got a McIntosh MC2205 amp and metioned that I used to have one that drove my curved horn bass bins in my bi-amplified McIntosh/JBL Pro system back in the seventies. The bass response/output in that system depended on the drivers used. For extremely high output you could use a very high efficiency "musical instrument" driver. For more bass extension such as home Hi-FI you would use a medium efficiency longer throw driver but, of course more driving power would be required. That's what I used hence, the McIntosh amps. I drove the mid range compression drivers which were loaded into very big, heavy and wide wooden diffraction/horn/lenses. The HF were slot loaded tweeters. The bass driven by a McIntosh MC2205 amp was crossed over using a JBL active frequency dividing network. The mids & HF were driven by a McIntosh MC250 and passive crossovers.

I'll say it again I love my Klipschorns but, in all honesty I found that McIntosh/JBL Pro system more "emotionally involving" but then again with Klipschorns you don't have multi amps & mid range diffraction horns half the size of your living room!

The only thing to worry about with Klipschorns is that you drive them with suitable high quality amplification be it SET or SS and you feed it from a really good source 'cause Klipschorns are very very revealing of what is fed into them. Give them a really good "front end" and a proper amp/pre-amp combo and you will be very, very happy.

Khorn's first paragraph pretty much sums up how I feel about it all.

"Does THAT mean anyone on this forum should be concerned about other peoples sexual life?"

Why yes, it does. I think we should all take an active interest in everyone's sex life.

----------------

On 6/22/2004 12:41:20 AM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

Just for those who have never seen Bruce or his Edgar titan horns with a center sub. Imagine bringing these home to your other half?? lol
----------------

Then add the 10K+ price tag to the equation ! I think Edgar is a very smart and cordial man for the most part. The one thing that really turns me off about him is his answer to how to improve a Khorn ....... "You have a chain saw"..... pretty tacky

----------------

On 6/22/2004 12:41:59 AM Anarchist wrote:

If that is not enough, I apologize; perhaps I can work on my tendency to avoid repeating the same recommendations ad nauseum and stop restricting myself from commenting on every audio post even if I have nothing to contribute to the conversation at hand.

----------------

Apology accepted.

As Paul Klipsch personally said to me. " My khorn is a tweekers dream. You can make it sound like a JBL. A Vitavox, A Altec , A Tannoy, or a Klipschorn. His Khorn comes in all flavors Take your pick and enjoy the music.

----------------

On 6/22/2004 9:26:18 AM Maron Horonzak wrote:

As Paul Klipsch personally said to me. " My khorn is a tweekers dream. You can make it sound like a JBL. A Vitavox, A Altec , A Tannoy, or a Klipschorn. His Khorn comes in all flavors Take your pick and enjoy the music.
----------------

Nice and quite accurate.

Khorns look and sound great. They also don't cost that much (if you compare them to other horn loaded designs). The corner placement is a strong advantege because they don't take much space and blend nicely in most living rooms.

They can be tailored to sound different with other components, but you'll need to change their neat looks to something more industrial.

IMO, they should be left with stock drivers and a crossover mod is a must (I haven't heared the AK-3 and AK-4 though) I'm not as qualified woodworker as some of the guys here 1.gif that's why I've left mine stock (even though I've tried different horns/drivers but couldn't stand their looks).

Bruce Edgar said in SpeakerBuilder, in response to a letter seeking advice on modifications, that the best thing one could do with the SpeakerLab cornerhorn was to destroy it.

I doubt very much he said a similar thing about the Klipsch corner basshorn, especially given his considerable efforts at figuring out how the rubber throat works and the two SpeakerBuilder articles he wrote about it.

If Bruce said such an inflammatory thing about the Khorn it should come with a citing. Otherwise it's simply rumor.

In my talks with Bruce I've never heard him express anything but admiration for PWK and his work.

I just made up the story about the chainsaw, I thought it sounded pretty cool.

I believe the comment was overheard by Craig and Paul in Lima when Dr. Edgar was approached by another forum member asking his advice on K-horn mods. I figure that since neither Craig nor Paul have much imagination to speak of -- they were telling the truth.9.gif

Craig, Paul -- do I have this right or did I hear it somewhere else?