on Khorns: 2A3, EL34, EL84 or KT88?

Colin

You guys do realize these tubes can all sound pretty different depending on what kind of amp they're running in? Do 2A3's running in push-pull really sound like 2A3's in SET -- that kind of thing.

I actually think the 2A3 sounds a bit like the KT-88 without the muscle (or should I say the KT-88 sounds like the 2A3 without the extreme smoothness/softness:) -- and the 300B like the EL-34 without the huge expansive soundstage. Naturally, these are generalizations based on limited experience.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 6/23/2004 7:05:09 PM AK-4 wrote:

You guys do realize these tubes can all sound pretty different depending on what kind of amp they're running in? Do 2A3's running in push-pull really sound like 2A3's in SET -- that kind of thing.

I actually think the 2A3 sounds a bit like the KT-88 without the muscle (or should I say the KT-88 sounds like the 2A3 without the extreme smoothness/softness:) -- and the 300B like the EL-34 without the huge expansive soundstage. Naturally, these are generalizations based on limited experience.

----------------

FYI

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/tinyhistory1.html

from;A Tiny History of High Fidelity, Part 1

The introduction of the Western Electric 300A and 300B direct-heated power triode, RCA 45, 50, and 2A3 directly-heated power triodes, and RCA 27, 56, 76, 6P5, 6J5, and 6SN7 family of indirectly-heated triodes. Sixty years later, these devices continue to be the lowest distortion amplifying elements ever made. No pentode, bipolar transistor, JFET, or MOSFET has ever approached the distortion performance of mid-Thirties triodes. In addition to low distortion in the absolute sense, the distortion spectra of triodes is favorable, with a rapid fall-off of the upper harmonics. (This is not true for beam tetrodes, pentodes, or solid-state devices, which are intrinsically less linear.)

Of course, this is just one persons opinion. YMMV.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 6/23/2004 6:47:47 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Craig,

I think that you should include a quad of those Gold Lion KT-88s with every VRD at no additional cost.
2.gif

Rick
----------------

Well Rick I just became more mature and raised the price of the VRD to $5k and while supplies last every set come with GEC KT88's 2.gif Ooops I just ran out darn !

colin, I have heard 2A3 in SET and PP, EL34 pentode and strappped into triode in PP, EL84 in PP, 300B in SET, 45 in SET and KT88 PP with my k-horns. This auditioning is what led me to the 2A3 in PP I now own. I do not claim anything else sucks, just that after trying these out I liked the 2A3 PP best.

neo, no tickets but room and board, surfing and a few visits to the shooting range included.

artto, no argument there, those luxman are pretty unique amps, I would love to hear them sometime (not to mention here your system in that room)...

warm regards, tony

Edmond,

What is said there is true, but only true as long as the tubes are not pushed out of their designed operating parameters, which naturally happens much sooner than with Pentode. So, it is possible to have less distortion with Pentode, IF the Triode is being pushed well beyond what it was designed for. You know, good solid state probably sounds better than a Pentode that's being pushed over IT'S limit. If I had any sense at all, I would go with a nice Aragon, Classe, Plinius, etc.

Craig : no doubt 6.gif but thats even to rich for me 14.gif

Edmond : Good info , as always 1.gif

Tony : Your one lucky SOB to have those JFL 2A3 PP amps 1.gif I'd love those for myself " but " i fear even my pockets are'nt that deep.

Dean : What the hell have'nt you had . lol 2.gif you should be close to deciding on something that can stay for more then 6 months . Maybe your wife should take up that candle ear wax removing thing ? you might have a blockage 9.gif

Rick : I think craig should supply us both with a pair of those VRD amps ( no charge of cource ) just for being nice to him . lol 1.gif

----------------

On 6/23/2004 8:51:11 PM AK-4 wrote:

What is said there is true, but only true as long as the tubes are not pushed out of their designed operating parameters, which naturally happens much sooner than with Pentode. So, it is possible to have less distortion with Pentode, IF the Triode is being pushed well beyond what it was designed for.

----------------

Yes, that article left out some pretty crucial information there, although the writer may have thought it too obvious to mention that the characteristics applied only within the tube's particular operating parameters.

----------------

On 6/23/2004 8:51:11 PM AK-4 wrote:

Edmond,

What is said there is true, but only true as long as the tubes are not pushed out of their designed operating parameters, which naturally happens much sooner than with Pentode. So, it is possible to have less distortion with Pentode, IF the Triode is being pushed well beyond what it was designed for. You know, good solid state probably sounds better than a Pentode that's being pushed over IT'S limit. If I had any sense at all, I would go with a nice Aragon, Classe, Plinius, etc.

----------------

No doubt. Anything pushed beyond it's limit will eventually fall apart. That's not usually my path. Other than the excess heat, I was impressed with the SE, SS, Aelph II. I think there is a later version that emits less heat. Go for it.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 6/23/2004 9:11:06 PM Dale W wrote:

Tony : Your one lucky SOB to have those JFL 2A3 PP amps
1.gif
I'd love those for myself " but " i fear even my pockets are'nt that deep.

----------------

Dale, I must say that through all the amp-flipping I've done in recent years, the JFL 2A3 SET's are WONDERFUL sounding amps. They are my last. They are like Moondogs on steroids.

My Scott 299B enjoys service occasionally, and I think they're great for parties where the SPL needs to exceed 120 db. For music, though, the 2A3 is a great tube and I just can't see it being any better for my usual 80-100 db listening environment.

----------------

On 6/23/2004 9:31:54 PM Are Friends Electric wrote:

2A3Arcturus.jpg"

2A3 monoplates, RCA or Arcturus sound superb in the Cornwalls, give them a whirl in the Khorns..
----------------

Who did you mug for those, and where can I ambush them next time? They are pricey, but I'd love to try a pair one day.

Dean,

You mean you to say you did not order the optional 2A3 sockets with your horns. I'll bet they didn't even ask you. I'd ask for a refund! I have them on my old 89's.

Klipsch out.

The sound quality isn't in the tube, but the circuit design. All of the tubes listed have operating parameters where they are most linear, and if they are designed to run in their design centers, they are all capable of great sound. It's all in the design, the tube does nothing more than control current. It is the engineers job to assure that the tube selected is run within it's limitations and parameters. Comparing output tubes is pointless except in terms of power output.

----------------

On 6/23/2004 10:22:02 PM Tung-Sol Lamp Works wrote:

The sound quality isn't in the tube, but the circuit design. All of the tubes listed have operating parameters where they are most linear, and if they are designed to run in their design centers, they are all capable of great sound. It's all in the design, the tube does nothing more than control current. It is the engineers job to assure that the tube selected is run within it's limitations and parameters. Comparing output tubes is pointless except in terms of power output.----------------

Thank God. Then I don't have to worry about using Tung-Sols.

Dale, the amazing thing is that JFL amps were sold at prices WAY below market, I consider the amp a gift from Jeff rather than a purchase I made. If he ever decides to produce amps from sale again I will certainly be in line. Warm regards, tony