Fahrenheit 911 soundtrack

Colin

Reading some of the comments here, it's obvious that Klipsch Forum members are well informed, intelligent and quite capable of independant thinking.

Film producers and directors have a lot of power behind the lens as has been acknowledged several times in this thread. They should exercise this power in a responsible manner.

In my opinion, there is a danger when people, through no fault of their own, are perhaps not discerning as others. Such people may see this film, and in their ignorance, accept without question, the theme that Moore is trying to prosecute.

----------------

On 7/19/2004 10:29:19 AM dkp wrote:

My problem with Moore is the way in which he uses the camera to skew reality. An example of this would be the parachute portion of the movie: Moore asks a young lady to put a high-rise parachute on. When she struggles Moore gets lots of laughs in the film and uses it to prove a point. The problem with what Moore did is that you could do the same thing with my buoyancy control vest for SCUBA diving. Ask an 18 year old kid to try it on with the added pressure of a camera, microphone and famous film-maker present, and they will struggle too. Yes, she did struggle while attempting to put it on. What Moore does not tell you is that this woman had absolutely no experience with the parachute. He could have done the same thing with a person off the street. This example gives the audience one impression while reality is another.

I can't get that link to post. I'll try in the subsequent post...

David

----------------

I`d like to clear this parachute scene up because apparently I am the only one here who actually saw the national morning TV show that these clowns appeared on.

It was just a few days after 9/11 and this young entrepreneur was pitching his new "skyscraper skydiving device", to the public. I think this was on Goodmorning America, could have been the Today Show. I can not remember which.

The guy said anyone could use his system and put it on in 1 minute or so. They turn the camera to someone who he brought with him. I have to believe he would not bring a rookie who had never worn the chute before. I mean think about it. This is live TV. He`s trying to sell this thing to every downtown building in NYC.

I got so embarrassed for the woman trying to put it on and the inventor who stood there and tried to make out like everything was going OK. If I remember correctly, she never did get the thing on before they had to cut for a commercial.

There was laughter in the studio that morning folks. It was funny.........and really embarrassing for everyone there. It was like being back in the 50`s when they were trying to sell bomb shelters to everyone. I thought to myself, "Here we go again."

And the fact of the matter is, even if the person had NO experience in putting it on, it should have been easier than that to use. If you think putting that on in front of a live TV audience is pressure, you are fooling yourself. Pressure is putting that damn thing on with a line of screaming people behind you on the 80th floor during a real fire or attack.

That`s pressure.

----------------

And the fact of the matter is, even if the person had NO experience in putting it on, it should have been easier than that to use. If you think putting that on in front of a live TV audience is pressure, you are fooling yourself.
Pressure is putting that damn thing on with a line of screaming people behind you on the 80th floor during a real fire or attack.

That`s pressure.

----------------

LOL-good point! Last night I tried to locate the article I described in my post. I couldn't, but will keep trying. Maybe that was a poor example to prove my point, but the fact stands that Moore will put things in his movies that are out of context in order to prove his point. This is disenginuous at best.

----------------

On 7/19/2004 9:56:31 PM Juba310 wrote:

Don't need to see a movie to disagree with it and critcize it?
4.gif
Whatever you say...

"Moore is more about the spotlight than he is about the issue. This has been the case since he was a student in high school."

What makes you say that?
----------------

Juba-read my post again. Wouldn't you agree that there has been a plethora of media attention regarding this movie? Isn't it feasible that some of that material provided actual quotes from Moore or the movie? I am not criticizing the movie, although I'm sure I will when I see it, but rather the way Moore goes about making a movie...

"What makes you say that?" That is almost a direct quote from someone I know who attended high school with Moore and knew him back then. I graduated from the same high school as Moore, albeit some years later, and we have family friends who went to school with him.

The bottom of the post you question me in contains another reason why Moore is about the spotlight and not the issue. He has used the Flint community to start his career, and to date has done nothing for it. This is the very thing he takes issue with General Motors about.

This has been a fairly decent thread, IMO. See Amy, we CAN be civil!!!12.gif

----------------

On 7/19/2004 8:29:55 PM edwinr wrote:

Exactly, Amy. And Moore' comments both written and in the media have created such a negative feeling in me that in all honesty I could not sit and watch his movie without feeling somehow - debased. So before anyone else asks, no I haven't seen the movie and I don't want to. But I respect the views of others and their right to see it.
15.gif

----------------

Excellent answer - I would suggest folks see it, but I also understand and respect your position. Yesterday I turned down an invitation to sit at the table with President Bush this afternoon for the same reason (folks mistaken my ruthless adiction to successful results as being a Republican - can't fix everything about yourself:-)

Friend Amy - your comment on Moore's slamming of Douglas senior is exactly why I don't like his style. It does appear that he believes the only way to get his message across is built on insinuating the fantastic and turning up the volume. It is a common complaint I have of our current democrat/republican debates.

As to the 'soundtrack' - I doubt it would change any viewers mind for the election. It may spur some leaners to go vote and since it is clearly anti-Bush those leaners are most likely to vote Democrat.

As to the initial lawsuit - is it advertising? I do not think it is much different than introducing a heterosexual marriage (one man, one woman - stick it to the Mormons) constitutional admendment vote on the senate floor to publicize the fact that it will be on numerous state ballots during the presidential election. This should bring out the Republican leaners.

And so it goes.....

----------------

On 7/20/2004 11:55:58 AM dkp wrote:

"What makes you say that?" That is almost a direct quote from someone I know who attended high school with Moore and knew him back then. I graduated from the same high school as Moore, albeit some years later, and we have family friends who went to school with him.

This has been a fairly decent thread, IMO. See Amy, we CAN be civil!!!
12.gif

----------------

Thats interesting that you got to go to the same highschool as him. Would you have any idea what the general feeling of him in that area is? I'm just curious 1.gif

I agree this has been a good thread. People have been allowed to express their opinions in a civilized manor, and no one seems to have been offended. I wish most people could "argue" like this.

Athough I think MM should eat only 6 meals a day and give the other 8 to some needy people and quit stuffin' his pockets and face while cryin'for the downtrodden.I will agree this thread has been civil and thats sayin' something in todays very partisan climate.So,even those I strongly disagree with on this forum about this subject do have my respect for THEIR ability to be civil,which forces me to be more civil.

----------------

On 7/20/2004 5:35:13 PM Fish wrote:

Although I think MM should eat only 6 meals a day and give the other 8 to some needy people and quit stuffin' his pockets and face while cryin'for the downtrodden.I will agree this thread has been civil and thats sayin' something in todays very partisan climate.So,even those I strongly disagree with on this forum about this subject do have my respect for THEIR ability to be civil,which forces me to be more civil.

----------------

Was that a fat joke in that first sentence. I am offended fish. I resemble that remark. 3.gif

But seriously, this goes back to my second post in this thread. We use to have lots of rants on subjects like this. And for the most part they were civil. But it just takes one dofuss to mess it all up.

IMHO it is not just the moderators job to keep check on bad posters. It`s our job as well. Don`t fan the flames when someone disagrees with you. Just kill them with kindness. Works everytime.

That`s my motto.

Thanks Amy for allowing us to spread our wings a bit.

A great thread that`s got us out of our box. Started by the very cunning and devilish Colin.11.gif

I told myself quite some time ago that I was going to stay completely away from any of these politically-laden discussions. But, after seeing this blurb in USA Today, I could not help sharing it with you all.

It seems that an impromptu, "unscientific poll" was taken by Linda Ronstadt recently at a show in the Aladdin in Las Vegas and......well, Moore (and Ronstadt) didn't fair very well:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2004-07-19-ronstadt-moore_x.htm

And, she apparently doesn't learn from her experiences as I have read that she's done this very same thing on at least two other occassions (once on July 1st) and her audience reacted in the very same manner each time.

----------------

On 7/23/2004 3:19:28 PM Steve W. Bailey wrote:

Picky...

quote from the article...

"People also tore down concert posters and tossed cocktails into the air".

My question...wouldn't this be alcohol abuse
?
----------------

Not if they caught it before it hit the floor!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

KUMBAYA

Traditional. Adapted and arranged by Robert DeCormier,

Peter Yarrow, Noel Paul Stookey and Mary Travers.

© 1998 Mapape Lake Music Publishing - ASCAP

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's singing Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbayah

Someone's laughing, Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's crying, Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's praying, Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's sleeping, Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbaya

.......yeah, I'd be pissed if I paid to hear her sing that, too!

(Appologies to PP&M)