Fifth Element

ygmn

----------------

On 7/5/2004 7:51:36 AM Grateful11 wrote:

I'm not sure what it is about this movie but I find myself watching it several times a year. It's definitely different! I know people that frown on sci-fi but like this one. I've got the early release DVD, is the rerelease that much better?

Grateful

----------------

Yes the DTS soundtrack is much better IMO.....

The gun fire...(lazers I guess)...sounded really good and bounced from side to side and front to back...The taxi cab driving scene was incredible...heck the picture will give you vertigo as he dives down through the traffic...but the sound makes it more so.....

I listened to both...dd5 and DTS..and the DTS rocks!

• 2 weeks later...

This was one of the first DVDs I ever bought. Nothing but brain candy from start to finish. Great look with a killer sound. ETC, ETC.

So the consensus here is that the Superbit version is worth shelling out more money?!6.gif

I guess I'll get a second job for all of these crazy movies I want to buy.14.gif

I had not watched this movie since I upgraded my amp. Thanks for reminding me of this movie. It has excellent sound, and the new amp brought out more detail and dynamics.

It is a very original movie which is quite rare. It had been awhile since I had last watched it.

Bill

• 5 months later...

I was looking through the upcoming releases just now and noticed that a new copy of "Fifth Element - The Ultimate Edition" is coming out next week. 2 DVD's but the only thing I see that's different is the second DVD with featurettes. The run time on my original release is 126mins and so is the new one so no extra footage. Anyone going for it?

Grateful11

I am thinking about buying it when it comes out. I already have the Superbit Edition of the movie and love it! Superbit DVD's are awesome. But I like the movie enough to buy the special edition just for special features if there are enough to warrant it.

I really don't to sound like a smarta$$ but who rents anymore. I quit renting when they started charging $5.00 a pop. Then add the price of gas. If you get a DVD the week it comes out you can usually get it for under $15. Heck if I buy and if I really hate the movie I can sell it on eBay and still have less money than one rental fee in it. Sorry but I really don't see how rental places stay in business. As far as it not renting heavily, this type of movie is only going to appeal to a limited crowd but it has risen too almost cult-movie status among that particular crowd. It has all the "elements" of a great sci-fi classic in my book.

Just my thoughts on it,

Grateful11

I thought we discussed the "rental" thing a while back but here goes again. I think most people who rent now use some sort of "pay one price and rent as much crap as you can in a month" package. I pay the $20 to Blockbuster and rent all the crap I only wanna watch once. For example pretty much all the lame Hollywood movies that we're bombarded with weekly. I think that's worth $20. I mean just watching Eurotrip once is enough. The stuff I buy is rarely talked about here on the board. Criterion releases, The Office(the FUNNIEST tv series ever courtesy of BBC) box sets, Mr. Show, Napoleon Dynamite, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, every Buffy and Angel box set, all the Simpsons box sets, etc.

5thelement.jpg

Sorry am late to this thread.... I too just noticed this re-release, sheesh.... they really know how to sock it to ya on the DVD's. First the original release, then a Superbit version, and now the Ultimate Edition... and don't get me started on the Terminator 2 DVD lol.