Heritage Audition Suggestion

hwatkins

This is mainly for the Klipsch forum folks - due to the dearth of auditioning capabilities with dealers for the heritage line do we want to try an set up an 'in home' audition capability?

This would require volunteers that share their equipment lists and location. They would agree to make best efforts to open their doors for folks to audition.

It would require the Klipsch MIS folks to develop some kind of sorted database (by type, by location, etc.) to assist perspective buyers. An anonymous ability to contact (much like PM options are today)is needed. A form with disclaimer for those that sign up to participate would be useful.

I imagine quite a few folks would be willing to participate. You could contact the SVS team to see how their solution is implemented.

Just a thought - I will quickly return to 'non-epiphany' mode....

Some of us mentioned this idea to Klipsch during the indy trip, perhaps even including a small commission should heritage sales result from these listening excursions. In my area at least, it can EASILY find individuals to demo Heritage gear, but zero dealers with Heritage on the floor unless I want to drive 250 miles.

Hi,

I have just bought some used La Scala's and also have a pair of Heresy I"s. I live near Clearwater,FL and would be willing to share the sound with anyone looking into purchasing. Mine are NOT for sale. Also, would appreciate a critique of my setup. Let me know if this is of any interest.

You make an interesting point about auditioning. When I lived in the Phoenix, AZ area (population 1-2 million) there were no dealers with Heritage speakers. Now that I live in the Huntsville, AL area (population about 200,000)there is a local dealer with a pair of Belle's. It doesn't make sense.

Once the new house is presentable (just moved in weekend before last), I have K-horns, LaScalas and Heresy's that I can show off. Even though the house if full of unpacked boxes, the TV, receiver and speakers are hooked up and working. A man's gotta have priorities!

Who knows, there may be a pair of Belle's in my future, then all thats left are Cornwalls.

Call me paranoid, but I'd be less than excited about opening my home up to complete strangers that weren't even a part of this forum. I've made some good friends through this forum, but it was after a series of exchanges that developed a sense of comfort. Not sure how I'd react to someone emailing me: "Hey, I saw your name on a list of people who have Klipsch and other expensive audio gear in your house and I'd like to come over and listen (scope the joint)." 9.gif

Of course, I don't own any Klipsch that could be bought new anyway so just ignore this post...

I have had several folks over to listen to my basement rig. My wife thought I was completely nuts, but I assured her that I felt I knew each of them from exchanges on the forum. I would not be receptive of the idea of some 'complete stranger' (which is the same category my wife classifed Kipsch forum members) drppping by for a listen.

I have bought and sold many item on ebay and audigon. When these sales are local, which I welcome, I always meet somewhere other than my home. Perhaps I am just paranoid.

I think it's a great idea to consider demonstrating the Heritage line to forum members and possibily prospective buyers. I've discussed that very possibility with my local Klipsch contact. He was very keen to get somebody to do this in my state. There is a 'however' though...

Home demonstrating hi-fi to unknown persons (prospective buyers) is fraught with danger. We've all done it and most people have got away with it. Some people haven't. The result could be heartbreaking and a financial disaster. Regular demonstration and sale of hi-fi equipment is best conducted from a premises independant from the home.

In saying that, many succesful hi-fi dealers have started their businesses from home, and have progressed to shop fronts. Properly administered, with careful referrals and a good insurance policy, an informal demonstration and listening forum may work. Many hi-fi dealers would negotiate a small commission in our favour should we refer a genuine buyer.

In taking up the original Heritage Audition Suggestion, in the spirit it was suggested, I think it would be a valuable tool for forum members to promote their passion. I don't think this facility should be restricted to the United States. I'm sure other forum members based in other countries would be willing to participate.

Lastly, Klipsch Inc would need to throw their informal support in to give some credibility to the exercise - particularly with the continued availability of the Heritage line. I'm sure, however, that the Company would also counsel caution. They wouldn't want to be seen to encourage unwise/unsafe practises on behalf of forum members.

Yeah, I love to show off my stuff too, but only to people I know and trust. I live in So Cal and there is just too much risk. I would have to get to know an individual very well first. It is an interesting idea but fraught with risks too high to accept for me and that is a shame but a reality. Forum members are probably exceptions that can be made but Id still be a little uneasy about it unless like I said before I felt I knew them. Plus this would also subject my family to these very same risks and that is more daring than I am.

I'll have to agree with the folks who are cautious. I have visited several forum members during my travels around, but it has always been preceeded with email contact. I have hosted a few gatherings at my place as well, again to forum members. I, too, would feel nervous about inviting a "total stranger" into my house to "audition" my gear. I would say that most forum members would not fall into the "total stranger" category, but caution would be the name of the game for sure.