What was your first vinyl record??

Doesn't matter when or by whom. If fact the younger you were the funnier it will probably be.

For me it was either the Archie cut-out records from the back of cereal boxes or a Secret Squirrel & Morocco Mole story album of the villan Yellow Pinky (cir ~1969?) when I was four.

BOUGHT my first record at a yard sale for 50 cents, George Carlin's "Class Clown". Still have it. Found out only last year that a skip in the vinyl was in the same place that the program jumps on the CD!!!3.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a HARD question to answer, because I'm dredging deep in the mists of time, so to speak.

The first records that I can remember were those that came with my GE Show And Tell. Captain's Courageous, Fall of the House of Usher (boy, that one scared me when I was 5!) I know I had some other Show and Tell 'albums', but I can't remember!

And at some time in the mid 60's, as a little kid I liked a song called "Bernadette" so I bought a 45 of it, to play on the "Show and Tell"

5.jpg

Then ~ 1973, I got a Craig portable cassette player for Christmas, and some other relatives gave me Led Zeppelin's "Houses of the Holy" and the Doobie Brothers "The Captain and Me" on Cassette.

Then after I got my Zenith stereo (in the thread I started last night) my first FULL record album was Black Sabbath - "Paranoid" I used to love to crank the bass line in the title song!

George Harrison - "Extra Texture" - bought at the Caldor's in Elmsford, NY.

I think the first record I got (was a gift), was the "Theme from Batman" by Neal Hefti. How shocking is it that I remember Hefti? Yipes!!! I remember when in college I took that album to a used record store 'cause they said $2 off any purchase with the trade in of a used record. I figured, hey, what the heck, I'll certainly NEVER listen to this again. They laughed me out of the store, and would not take it in trade. Go figure! Probably still have it somewhere -oops, no I don't, left all my vinyl in Arizona when I moved - no room on the truck.

----------------

On 7/13/2004 10:32:07 AM Cleve wrote:

Then ~ 1973, I got a Craig portable cassette player for Christmas, and some other relatives gave me Led Zeppelin's "Houses of the Holy" and the Doobie Brothers "The Captain and Me" on Cassette.

----------------

Was that the one that came with a sales-pitch tape of the sales guy going down into the mechanism of the machine explaining the quality?? I was actually getting into the background music that was played as he was talking! That was only hilarious as hell....

The earliest one we had in the house (it wasn't mine) was Tennessee Birdwalk and on the flipside was Lookin' Back at Me by Four Jacks and a Jill (I looked back to see if you looked back....)

Oh this is a FUN one!

After perusing the Columbia Records ads for months at age 13 (1971) I ordered my first 7, here are the favories, bands that I have been my favorites through my lifetime:

Led Zep I

Led Zep II

Chicago at Carnegie Hall

Blood Sweat and Tears 4

Steppenwolf 7

To this day, still collect vinyl at garage sales and have about 600 LP's which still get played occasionally.

I'm a firm believer that the music you come of age to (high school) sticks with you the rest of your life!

1st vinyl record purchased - 45 of The Tokens > The Lion Sleeps Tonight

1st full album purchased was Black Sabbath > Paranoid(played on a mono player). I would have bought a Grand Funk album, but the store I was at(?), had placed the price sticker over the "n" in funk on their whole stock, so I was afraid to come home with an album title that I assumed was a nasty 4-letter word. ((((((Grand Fu$k)))))))9.gif

Album purchased after 1st stereo- Kansas > Song for America.

When I was about 6, I was with my mother in Toys R Us and passed a Batman lp. After kicking and screaming for about 15 minutes she finally gave in and bought it for me. Oh the shock and horror when I got home, had my mother put it on my father's Gerrard TT, only to find out it was MUSIC!!! BAD music at that! I think I sulked for about a week.15.gif15.gif8.gif8.gif

----------------

On 7/13/2004 12:48:00 PM ironwoods wrote:

I would have bought a Grand Funk album, but the store I was at(?), had placed the price sticker over the "n" in funk on their whole stock, so I was afraid to come home with an album title that I assumed was a nasty 4-letter word. ((((((Grand Fu$k)))))))

----------------

Isn't that the album that Dick Cheney's on? Maybe he just wrote the lyrics...2.gif

----------------

On 7/13/2004 12:50:24 PM garymd wrote:

When I was about 6, I was with my mother in Toys R Us and passed a Batman lp. After kicking and screaming for about 15 minutes she finally gave in and bought it for me. Oh the shock and horror when I got home, had my mother put it on my father's Gerrard TT, only to find out it was MUSIC!!! BAD music at that! I think I sulked for about a week.
15.gif15.gif8.gif8.gif

----------------

LOL! Your dad had a Garrard turntable, ay? Lucky you. Nobody in any of my family (or family friends) had any decent stereo equipment. My uncle had an RCA console with a "Cobra Head" tonearm, and a well-to-do friend had a Sylvania stereo (can't even remember what they used to call the non-console all in one systems) which he bragged had "400 watts" At the time, I had been reading Stereo Review for a year or so, so I just kinda said "uh huh" to be polite - I knew the sucker would probably be lucky to put out 5 or 6 rms watts per channel at a reasonable low distortion level.

Why do teens ALWAYS know more than adults? I wished I could get my omniscience back! 8.gif

My parents had a large (actually 2 large seperate pieces) stereo that they

got in (about) 1960. I was about 7 at the time. I remember having something

called "Russian Fireworks" or something similar that had stuff like "In the

Hall of the Mountain King" and others that I listened to repeatedly. Before

that we had some kind of little record player (I think it ONLY played 45's)

that we played some of my mothers old Al Jolson stuff and childrens records

that were "mine".

Two of my Dad's aunts lived upstairs, and they had a wind-up Victrola and tons

of 78's. I remember listening to them, but I couldn't say what they were now.

The first ROCK record that I convinced someone to buy for me (I was in the grocery

store with my aunt), was The Four Seasons - Rag Doll, on a 45. I was 9 at the time.

I remember telling my aunt that "She would like it too"!

Dave

B000001EL9.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I think I was in 5th grade. Was listening to it on some gawd forsaken ugly cabenet stereo, had the headphones on. Record skipped. I said the "F" word. Got slapped in the back of the head and chewed out for at least 30 minutes by mom.

Glen Miller Limited Edition ( 45 rpm ) 15 extended play records. 1954 Both Vol 1 & vol 2 Also the 33 1/3rpm versions. I still have them . The LP versions have a allegater cover & were pressed in England by HMV. The 45rpm versions by RCA.