What was your first vinyl record??

Bought an album for my first music experience, cost me an arm and a leg. The Spencer Davis Group with Steve Winwood, the one with I'm a Man on it. As I remember it I was disapointed in the album, only 2 songs that I really liked. Took me a long time to buy another. Listened to it on my parents console. Really didn't start buying much music until 8 tracks came out.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first 45-RPM was by Anne Lloyd, Gil Mack, Danny Ocko, the Sandpipers, Mitch Miller Orchestra, "Songs About Animals".

The label says this is an "Extended Play...Three On One" record.

Side A: Tawny Scrawny Lionz: Part 1 and 2; The Pokey Little Puppy.

Side B: Willie the Whistling Giraffe; Saggy Baggy Elephant; and the Elephant Walk.

I'm surprised the grooves aren't worn out. My siblings and I listened to this over, and over, and over, and over, and over.....It was a great record to use for playing musical chairs at the school halloween carnivals during cake walks and at birthday parties.

My first 33-1/3 RPM was the soundtrack for "Mary Poppins". Let's Go Fly a Kite; Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious; Feed the Birds; I Love to Laugh. These were the first songs that I remember learning all of the lyrics by heart. Still know the lyrics...

This has been a fun read - also really made me dig back. I twice thought I remembered then remembered an earlier one.

But I think I got it right finally. My eldest brother upgraded to a turntable/8 Track rig and I got the old portable (Zenith I think) - kind of like today's boomboxes. It looked like a suitcase when folded up - you unlatched and the speakers were hinged for opening. You then could remove from the hinges and spead out for that separation on your stereo recordings. Hog Heaven. I went to the corner drug store in search of a stereo 45 - got one by Boots Randolph. No lyrics to help me remember the titles but marvelous sax stuff. First LP was the Beatles 'Rubber Soul'. I wore both of them out over time.

The interesting thing is that the middle brother gave me a 'Sound of Music' soundtrack he won as a gag gift somewhere - he brought it to me the day after I bought Rubber Soul. I love that LP (I still liked my Sabbath, Led Zepplin, et.al.). I still get chills listening to certain songs on that soundtrack.

Geesh - much more sharing than I intended - I love you guys....

----------------

On 7/13/2004 9:29:25 PM Tom Blasing wrote:

----------------

On 7/13/2004 3:22:57 PM D-MAN wrote:

"Mister Spock's Music from Outer Space", Decca. I still have it.

DM
2.gif

----------------

D-Man, Is this it??

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/Mr1.jpg">

----------------

His version of "If I Had A Hammer" is one of the funniest things I've ever heard. It's a killer album!14.gif

My first record? I'm embarrassed to admit it but it was a long playing record called 'The Best of Hank Snow'. My father was a country and Western fan and I grew up with Slim Whitman, Jim Reeves and Hank Snow. When I first got my little Pye record player, Hank Snow was all I had.

first record I bought, well the first one I remember buying myself was a 45 of something the stones made. I bought it while I was out with some other neighbourhood kids and left it at one guys house. By the time I remembered it, the kid claimed it. He would tease me by placing the cover in the window so I could see it as I passed by, never did get to hear it though3.gif

The first records I remember playing (before I bought one) was a Disney LP, it was a sound track from some movie (the name escapes me for the moment, when I remember I will be red faced!) The only track I remember is " bibbity bobbity bo", now I will have that song in my head all day!9.gif

Interesting post!

I had acquired many LPs (and 45s) from my dad during my childhood. They were primarily big band music, which I enjoyed as a boy (and still do enjoy the music). I think the first-ever record my dad gave me was a 45 of Tennessee Ernie Ford singing: '16 Tons' {1956 - I was 5 years old}

However, the very first LP that I bought with my own money was in 1963 at the age of 12. I bought a copy of Allan Sherman's first album: 'My Son the Nut' {Comedy} - Sherman died in 1973.

sherman.jpg

{EDIT}: The first vinyl 45 I ever purchased with my own money was by Jan & Dean: "Dead Man's Curve" {1964 - I was 13).

post-10177-13819257088102_thumb.jpg

On 45 RPM beyond children's, Travelin' Man by Ricky Nelson.

On 33 1/3, either Jan and Dean or The Beach Boys.

I remember the Cereal Box records also as a unique, we could pick up WKBW< Buffalo, NY. Two (2) of the DJs put out a single entitled "Rats In My Room" by Joey and Danny.

I also listened to 78s and Classical LPs my Parents bought.

dodger

Tom Blasing wrote: "For me it was either the Archie cut-out records from the back of cereal boxes.."

Wow Tom, I had some of those Archies cut-outs as well..."Sugar", an appropriate title for a 45 cut off the back of a kids cereal box!

The first records (45s) I actually bought for myself were "Green Eyed Lady" by Sugarloaf and "American Woman" by The Guess Who..I still love those tunes!. I didn't start buying albums (33s) until much later...I think the first album I sprang for myself was "Venus & Mars" by Wings.

Dave

As I mentioned in my 'Stereo' thread, I had a 45 of the Four Tops, 'Bernadette' I also got Bread's 'Mother Freedom' ~1971 or so. I used to listen to it on the classic Show N Tell! For some reason, I liked to slow it down to 33 rpm, because the guitars sounded much more 'powerful' Weird stuff you'll do when 11!

Tom, I loved Green Eyed Lady, AND American Woman as a little kid back in the 60's! I still like 'em, for that matter.

MAD periodically included some "rip-em-out" records in the magazine. I think these were for subscribers only. They had a thin, flexible, cardboard base with vinyl(?) grooves.

I remember listening to one called, "It's a Gas", with the appropriate body function sound effects.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

I also remember getting free copies of the "Banana Splits" cardboard records on the back of cereal boxes. For those who don't remember the Banana Splits, they had a televison show around the same time the Monkees were on tv.