$6000 to spend, what to do. Please help

DA1984

Well I think it is safe to say that everyone likes Heritage. What about this:

RC-7 - $650

RF -5's - $1100

Grand Wega 60in LCD w/ 5year warranty - $3800

Rear Channels, have not deceided, RS-7, RSX-5, RS-35, RB-35?

Wait, I bet the response will be, let me guess: "go with Heritage dude"

Bye the way, Anyone heard the new RVX-54s?

----------------

On 7/14/2004 9:17:47 PM DA1984 wrote:

Wait, I bet the response will be, let me guess: "go with Heritage dude"

----------------

If you had the chance to a/b RF5s and Cornwalls.......

Nice corns are cheaper too.

Go with heritage dude.2.gif

You guys may hate me for metioning these since its a klipsch forum, but what about getting:

sony xbr 40'-$1800 (tube-best possible picture and as big as they come, also check prices on net for cheaper)

onix rocket ht package 2 - $2149 (or possibly different package)

svs pb2+ - $1200

leaves you with about $800 or so to do whatever with. just to let you know, you can try both the onix and svs products in your home I think for 45 days to test them out, not much to lose, plus I have heard great reviews for these products. JMHO, good hunting.1.gif

p.s. if still confused just send me the money.

OK you are familiar with the Reference stuff, excellent by any measurement, but I too must chime in used Heritage would be the most efficient use of your funds to get a truly big sound for the money spent. You could get a pair of La Scala's for mains for about $1200 ish + shipping and I would try for a third as a front center ($600 ish + shipping) and then two pair of Heresy's for surrounds (about $800 ish + shipping) if you compute the shipping that should be around $3400 tops so you would have $2600 left for a TV and a sub. If you choose to go with Reference the prices are less flexible, but you would still have an astonishing HT. But as others and I have said earlier Heritage will deliver the most bang per dollar spent. As for a TV that you would have to evaluate by what you see and like. You could go an all Heresy set for about $2000 for six, shipping included and that would leave you quite a bit left for a sub and TV. I actually think my estimates are a little high. Good luck.

OK, you have received lots of options from our members, now you need to listen. I stress one thing to you: TAKE YOUR TIME. Don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket. Do some homework by finding some Heritage to listen to. The RF's are in stores, so no problem there. Yes, it may take time to locate Heritage to sample, but you will KNOW what you really want, instead of finding out after the first purchase. More members buy gear here thrice because they don't do it right the first time - even with all the advice......so be patient and do what it takes to sample some Heritage......then you will BE SURE what you want.

Hearing is believing.

I find it really, really hard to disagree with Gary's first suggestion. The only other thing I might consider (given form factor requirements and that you've already said the Really Big Heritage is out) would be Chorus II's and an Academy up front and two to four Quartets the rest of the way around. This is really the same recommendation as Gary's, but with different pieces.

----------------

On 7/14/2004 8:55:56 PM Gilbert wrote:

Heritage are truely the only speakers to consider. Simple.

----------------

Not necessarily. Not everybody wants to deal with the used market and the hassle of finding a matched set, not to mention the risks of shipping speakers every which way. Also, there are some of us that simply cannot fit the larger Heritage in our rooms. I am running a complete Reference 7 setup, and it works beautifully in this room. Did I pay a lot more than if I got used Heritage, such as Heresies? You bet, but I wanted a brand-new setup with full warranty. After listening to some of the Heritage speakers in Indy, I'll admit that I am impressed, but not impressed enough to go run and trade in my current setup. The only way I'll move to Heritage is K-Horns - but since they don't fit in my current room, well, it'll be the RF-7s for quite some time (unless I find a killer deal on a pair that I just simply could not pass up 2.gif).

skonopa,

you can still get the heritage models Heresy II, La Scala, Belle and K-Horns new. The Heresy II cost a little more than the rf35 (can only speak of the prices in germany, of course).

The problem is to find a dealer who has the models in stock so you can hear them and compare them with the newer models.

If you listen to them side by side the heresys will knock out the rf35 in every way exept the deep bass! And you'll get real wood veneer!16.gif

DA1984 -

My comments are a bit prejudice seeings how I own Heritage speakers, so keep that in mind.

My HT consists of Cornwalls for RF & LF. My center, right surrounds and back surrounds are all Heresys. I absolutely love the sound. I've never directly A/B'd my Cornwalls against the Reference line, but I did haul my Heresys into my local Klipsch dealer once. First, my observation about Cornwalls versus Reference.

The only Reference model that I like as well as my Cornwalls is the R7. IMHO the R7 has a bit better bottom end than my Cornwalls. Overall, the sound of the R7 is quite good, but I prefer my Cornwalls. Maybe it's because they're paid for. 1.gif

As for the Heresy/Reference comparison...we A/B'd the Heresys only against the R3 and R5 series since it's no match for the R7 series. In fact, the R5 series is a bit of a stretch. Anyhow...we were using a Denon 3803 and Denon DVD2900 for the comparison and music from Ella Fitzgerald to Aerosmith. The R3 series best the Heresy in the very bottom end, but to my ears, the Heresy had more detail in the mid and upper end. The R5 seemed stronger everywhere and I was quite pleased with the R5's sound. However, the R5 to my ears didn't deliver so much more that I would spend the money for it. Personally, I'd have the R3 or save my pennies and get the R7 series. But that's just me.1.gif

In the end, it really comes down to what your ears like. And if you like the Reference sound - go for it. If you like the sound of the Heresy or Cornwall, then the effort it takes to aquire them via the used market is certainly worth the trouble IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Tom

----------------

On 7/16/2004 4:04:03 AM dr-dezibel wrote:

skonopa,

you can still get the heritage models Heresy II, La Scala, Belle and K-Horns new. The Heresy II cost a little more than the rf35 (can only speak of the prices in germany, of course).

The problem is to find a dealer who has the models in stock so you can hear them and compare them with the newer models.

If you listen to them side by side the heresys will knock out the rf35 in every way exept the deep bass! And you'll get real wood veneer!
16.gif

----------------

Yeah, I know you can stil get brand new Heritage models. However, I've heard the Heresy's and as nice as they are, I was not impressed with them. I'll stick with my current RF-7s, thank-you-very-much. Klipsch no longer makes the Cornwalls, which is the only real competitor in my opinion to the RF-7s. I've listened to the LaScala's and the Belles. Beautiful mid-range and highs, but could use a little more bass. Again, found in the end to prefer the RF-7s. The true upgrade would be going to the K-horns, but at over $7K/pair, getting a new pair is not going to happen anytime soon, plus I really don't have any place to put them right now.

On topic to this thread, the guy asked what to get for $6,000 total. Getting new Heritage will completely blow his budget, so obviously, if he wants to get Heritage, than it'll have to be the used route. He may choose to go through the hassles of chasing down a matched set on the used market, and if so, then I am all for looking into a pair of Cornwalls for the front, and perhaps Heresies for a center and surrounds. If he does not want to go that route, but wants a complete setup in one shot - than a complete Rx-35 package would be an excellent choice. If he wants to get things piece-mail, then I would recommend just getting a pair of RF-7s and an RC-7 for now, and save up for the rest later, or if wantting to chase down a used set, a single pair of K-Horns, provided he has the space and the corners to place them properly.

Here is my current leaning, but I might be pushed if shoved. Prices already quoted. (Ultmate E.)

RF-5s - $900

RC-7 - $675

RSX -5 - Free (because I own them now). Upgrade later

SVS 20-39 PC Plus - $900 (with cable)

Sony Grand Wega 60in. Rear Projection LCD - $3400 (Ultimate wants $400 more for a 5 year warranty, not including the bulb . Is it worth it, hmmmm?

= $5875 w/out warranty, $6275 with + tax = a little over budget, but very close so its ok.

Comments? Articulate Announcements?