Why do some amps go up for sale frequently

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 7/22/2004 10:39:33 PM mike stehr wrote:

Smilin', you bought a 12 watt SET amp with power in mind?

You did buy smart, no arguement there. You can turn a Rankin amp real easy.

----------------

Mike, I bought this to see If I can live with 12.5 watts of SET, AND my SS which has more than enough power, 150 x 7 plus 2500 for my sub....thats enough power, even for me, when I want concert plus level, I put on a DVD-concert and believe me, I can rock, I can roll, My driveway shakes, my windows bake, my heart is pounding, my floor is sounding, yaknow11.gif10.gif

Thank god

Smilin again10.gif

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 7/22/2004 10:55:02 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

Basically, if someone want's to get into the SET sound, they need to do there homework. Read up, ask questions, get opinions, make judgements.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Basicly is definitely an understatement

----------------

I did my homework and bought one of the best3.gif

Guys,

The dB level by itself doesn't mean much. What counts is what the sound is like at that dB level: Does it seem like real music? or is it anemic? or sweet?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Excellent comment

Real is the key

You need to know a few real instruments in a nearfield experience with some hours of experience to make sure you have a good reference. That is whey your local high school band and classical music well recorded are so valuable and readily availible cheap.

Accoustic guitar and drums make it for me but i have them availiable in the home.

Recorded music you know well may be a benchmark for evaluating different equipment but not a sound way to expect you can define "realism".

When My LK-48 reaches its observed output limit in my evaluations; the instruments cease to sound real and dynamic.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 7/22/2004 10:36:01 PM jt1stcav wrote:

"I do not think 12.5 watts is enough."

That's what I thought before I bought my 8 watt 300B...I can easily get over 100 clippless dBs peak power through my Cornwalls. I think I bought smart! It puts a grin across my face.
9.gif

----------------

Congrats, your BEZ finally came in? Did you put NOS in it, how ya like it, I am still ewaiting on my flea powered one15.gif but happy for you baby3.gif

DSCF1533_7.jpg

Yep, I finally got my T3B from BEZ (damn slow boat from China must've been a rowboat)! The only NOS tubes are the RCA 6J7GT drivers and the Sylvania 5U4G; the Shuguang 300Bs will have to do for now (can't ever afford Western Electrics). The 2A3 would've been my second choice, but I wanted a wee bit more umph to drive my Cornwalls. Let us know how the 2A3 fares with your Cornwalls!2.gif

post-11084-13819257179276_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 7/22/2004 11:09:39 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

My sources, although modest in cost, have few faults.

----------------

You damn right your sources are GREAT, I just realized that life can throw you a curve recently with the death of my MOM last month, and combined with the 6-8 hours a day of looking at, researching, mental masterbation I put myself thru in the last year, I realized it was actually cheaper for me just to pull triggers, and get back to work, making money, and just enjoy, cause I never know when its my turn.12.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 7/22/2004 11:16:47 PM jt1stcav wrote:

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/DSCF1533_7.jpg">

Yep, I finally got my T3B from BEZ (damn slow boat from China must've been a rowboat)! The only NOS tubes are the RCA 6J7GT drivers and the Sylvania 5U4G; the Shuguang 300Bs will have to do for now (can't ever afford Western Electrics). The 2A3 would've been my second choice, but I wanted a wee bit more umph to drive my Cornwalls. Let us know how the 2A3 fares with your Cornwalls!
2.gif

----------------

I went nutz buying tubes waiting for that damn slow boat, my finger kept bidding, hehheh heh, if you want some of my extra's, let me know, fax me your tube compliment and I will fax you what I have in those variety, everything except the 300b's, yaknow2.gif BTW if funds are tight, you can borrow them.

Smilin finally16.gif

Thanks smilin, but I'm good NOS-wise for now. My BEZ preamp is setup with NOS RCA 6SN7GTB blackplates, RCA OC3 and OD3 regulators, and a Mullard GZ30 (sweet). The amp's good to go, too...the Chinese 300Bs are actually damn good sounding to me so far.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 7/22/2004 11:28:56 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Thanks smilin, but I'm good NOS-wise for now. My BEZ preamp is setup with NOS RCA 6SN7GTB blackplates, RCA OC3 and OD3 regulators, and a Mullard GZ30 (sweet). The amp's good to go, too...the Chinese 300Bs are actually damn good sounding to me so far.

----------------

Glad you love it, i will let you know what I think of its baby bro if the ship ever arrives2.gif

----------------

On 7/22/2004 10:00:41 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

Not afraid of much, Jazz.

I infer by your investment in speaker cables you can spend allot and it most likely would not phase you if it was a poor choice.

>I suggest you use the time spent inferring and learn to comparison shop.

Others of lesser means could spend what you spent on cables on a bad amp choice for them and may have to save 2 years to rectify inferior sound with another purchase.

>>Refer to the statement above, then learn to do research.

Buying low powered amps NEW could be a good way to lose $ 1000 or more if you do not like them.

>Another indication of little knowledge and less research.

Maybe when I get my K Horns 3-5 years (after funding childrens college education) from now; I will get a pair of 2A3 amps.

>You must believe you're the only person with a family.

If I do not like them I can use them for my headphones.

>It seems you are wasting much time on envy and petty jealuosy. I guess that's what it's all about. It's also very clear that you have no idea how hard, or how much I work for what I have. All of your statements provide indications of the pettiness that rules your life.

----------------

I can see clearly now...........

Little minds of little people,

With little else to do

Envy, jealousy, fear of trying something new

I truly do feel sorry for you

Klipsch out.

Hello:

Is ther a difference between Phase and Faze?

I cannot believe that grown adults are continuing to argue over someone else's opinion(s).

There is a point to be aware that some are baiting and many are too willing to bite the hook.

Who gave anyone the Universal Power to say what anyone's system should be? If you have a twenty (20) watt RMS amplifier, rated correctly you will stay clean at twenty (20) watts.

But in the end continuing this argument by being baited by those who have their opinion - to heck with ANY facts on either side - gives them the power and causes all to defend their CHOICE. As the noble Attorney Gerry Spence states (paraphrased) "once you give the other person power.... once you decide that you have to argue and prove them wrong... you are giving away your own uniqeness and in effect killing yourself."

Well, I own what I want, I do not care one iota whether anyone else likes what I have or not. The arguments are in your minds and attempts to push others to respond to useless claims on either side.

To pun, you can all SET and Push and Pull in your own Solid State, because I don't give a rats behind, I listen to mine you to yours.

This is my opinion, it belongs to me as do the PP, SS and one day SET equipment. If you don't like ANY of it, your problem - I give no-one any credence to tell me what amount of power, listening level or source material to own. You do not own me, do not know all of what I know.

This is me, my opinion. This should be the way it goes - a discourse without trying to inflict beliefs on others or belittle the equipment another owns. You can say you don't like something, fine. Like religion politics and equipment, don't try to ram your beliefs down others throats. They wil own what they want and if it is the type you are railing against and are happy - who looks like a person standing in an empty forest yelling nobody can hear me.

Quit baiting and being baited. There are other points of audio that need attention - quality control, price, customer service, change for change sake, quality of CDs and Vinyl to name some that in my opinion are important as I've seen problems in each of the areas I gave out as a thought.

dodger

----------------

On 7/22/2004 10:54:38 PM smilin wrote:

OOHHH Deano, here ya go again, whatcha gonna reco now, wait, can I guess, Craigs VRD's, right, nah, Im waiting for him to make me 100 watters like he promised in January
11.gif
hes just too backed up, yaknow I need at least 50 watts in triode, if I can't get that SET magic Im getting right now...You should check these things out sometime, you have an open invite in chi-town if ya ever get in the area. BTW it is actually VERY nice
9.gif
just wish the Klipsch were 104db like yours, than believe me, your khorns would really rock with only 12.5 watts, 3.5 I just dunno, bat as soon as my BEZ 2a3 gets here from the slow boat from china, I will let you know
12.gif

----------------

I really do not remember promising anything. Discussing yes promise ? Besides I really do not see the need or market for 100 watt amps with Klipsch Heritage speakers. If your dead set on it put the cash up and I'll order custom transformers but you better be sitting down when you get the price 2.gif

Craig

----------------

On 7/22/2004 10:55:02 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

Basically, if someone want's to get into the SET sound, they need to do there homework. Read up, ask questions, get opinions, make judgements.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Basicly is definitely an understatement

----------------

I have a question.Has anyone seen the Dared VP-300B monos on ebay?Has anyone heard a Dared product and what do you think? Greg

I think maybe I prefer tube amps that have some of the drive, control, and sonic attributes of good bipolar transistorized solid state amps -- but with the clarity, openess, warmth, and grain-free quality that the tubes bring. I want good clean transients, and I like to feel some air moving around.

I really feel like my system is hitting on all cylinders, and I no longer feel the desire to upgrade anything. Though the preamp isn't considered great by most -- there is a synergism between the three pieces that brings a sound better than anything I've heard to date. I guess this is just "my sound".

The thread hopefully shows people on the front end of their research to be cautious and to limit the emotional involvement to the music and not apply emotional decision making to the equipment.

If you can spend $ 4000 or more on your system per year you can be adventurous and take some risks with buying new equipment you do not have the oppurtunity to audition for long periods of time.

Spending $ 2000 or less (maybe much less) per year on your system lends itself to being very cautious.

Seeing what amps, heavily modded digital players (like soup de jour), or other items turnover often via E Bay, Audiogon or other venue; is good data to influence a sound buying decision.

30 day money back auditions( like www.audioadvisor.com) allow a risk to be less serious when you are only risking shipping cost.

Define your needs clearly.

-Big room or small room

-sub or no sub

-speaker efficiency

-periodic maintainance desired

-magic or floor shaking ( bone crushing)

-realism or personalized color

Me?

I am a big room, no sub kind of guy who demands realism and an occassional need for a little bone crushing blues or 70s rock.

dean and flynn have nailed the issues very well, I have said it before (and now I will say it again).

anyone who tells you what is right or wrong in audio is either of limited intellectual capacity or just plain trolling.

there are so many possible combinations of environment and equipment that nothing can (or should) be ruled out as a viable component in the musical reproduction chain.

"my sound" as dean says it IS the key. for me "my sound" includes horns. in some peoples eyes that already is a wrong decision. anyone here with horn speakers is considered "wrong" by people out there. so we should watch it when we tell other's that there choices are wrong...anyone listening? I doubt it.

SET, PP, SS ARE ALL VALID CHOICES TO GET "OUR SOUND" ANYONE LISTENING? I DOUBT IT. how frustrating I find it to discover the board ruled lately by supposed know-it-alls who build their self image by denigrating other people's taste and choices.

do research, audition and enjoy "your sound" in the end "their sound" will not be as fulfilling.

warm regards, tony

SAL,

Nice comments!

FOr example, some could say how could you ever get a decent "sound" out of Sony CD changers.

I have tried 6-7 "transports" of similar pedigree over the past 2 years.

I only find fault in DVD players with commodity construction. VIdeo DACs could add jitter from my perspective and make inferior transports.

Superior "clock" managment in the DAC can cure many ills of the transport.

Even with very modest transports; you and I still find "our sound".

Rick