Larry Clare Makes Another Convert

thebes

Thanks to his generosity, I had an opportunity this weekend to stop by and visit with Larry and his 62 Khorns.

Now Larrys an affable fellow of obvious intellect, a substantive understanding of classical music and the dedication to create a system worthy of the music.

Now those of you on this Board who have followed my hi-jinks closely (see signature below) are of course aware that my musical taste are quite ordinaire running from rock to blues. As far as my intellect, well lets put it this way: I came out of the 60s with 12 brain cells and have been loosing them ever since. Hell, Im been known to state that Mitch Ryders Devil with a Blue Dress On" is the pinnacle of musical development.

So, GaryMD also joins us. We warm up the tubes with a couple of tracks from the ethereal voice of Eva Cassidy and segue directly into in the Indy gatherings Number One Hit with a bullet:

Horsts The Planets

We march with firm step through Mars and move inward with Mercury.

Cant stop there, though so Larry slides out of its sleeve a remarkable recording of Ludwig Bs Seventh Symphony. And a complete composers score to go with it!

Now my music reading skills are rudimentary but under his guidance we follow along and I am virtually transported into the music, its rhythm, its cadence.

Please understand dear readers, that while often exposed to classical music it has only intermittedly captured my imagination. I might also add this is also my first experience with Heritage (start at the top, I always say) and really highend players and tube amps.

Then theres the icing on the cake. Larry goes out of his way to provide a cogent explanation of the back ground for pieces like The Planets, and by revealing the traditional structuring of works like Beethovens provides insight into the practical aspects of the creative process he used as the basis for creating his works of genius.

And so my fellow Klipschers, just what did your correspondent, the mighty raconteur thebes have to say to Larry about all this: Wow, Cool Thats Great Man

(At least I didnt say: Awesome dude!)

Well needless to say I have been sucked in big time. Yes, as I write this Im thinking over a visit to the store for maybe a little Wagner, might try out that Mozart fellow and for some reason Im thinking of The Rites Of Spring.

If this keeps up Ill be drinking my beer with pinky extended.

Thanks Larry

Hello:

Listening to quality music on a quality system with guidance from someone that has a good musical background, understanding, love and dedication will definitely convert.

Excellent writing Thebes and 3d, along with a great description.

Hats off to all three (3) - Larry included.

dodger

Your description of the evening is exactly how I would imagine a night at LC's would be like.

I have had the pleasure of spending time with him the last two Indy trips, but a visit in his home, listening to his system, would be a real treat.

Thanks for sharing.

JM

We had a great visit although I was only there for about an hour. Marty's a great guy and I'm glad he had the opportunity to experience Larry's classical kingdom.

I hope we can do it again soon. Maybe a barbeque at my place? I'd love to try those salty potatoes!3.gif

Larry is a great guy.

These conventions focus on the presentation by Klipsch and the libations the night before.

I was a bit annoyed that Larry and GaryMD had just a few minutes to present the Planets in the listening room.

Perhaps next year we can set up a classical session with Larry in charge. Really in charge. No talking, no guys wanting to hear anything than classical.

Larry could provide us with a photocopy of a score, put on his choice of a recording, and he can teach us about reading the score and what is going on with the music.

It would be grand.

Gil

Larry has also been helping me try to appreciate classical music. Unfortunately, we are hampered by a distance problem. He is on the east coast and I am in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Despite the difference in distance he has been recommending things for me to listen to that have drastically increased my knowledge and appreciation of classical music. The truly amazing part is that he has chosen those pieces from a list of CDs that I own and he has never heard! I knew I picked the right mentor in this endeavor when I asked a question about a piece and he said he would consult his copy of the orchestral score to see what was going on! (Yes I had to pick my jaw up off the floor when he said that! Oh gee, I forgot to buy the score for all the pieces on the CD! What was I thinking?)

Thanks again Larry!

Gil,

I like your idea and I would be willing to cough up a few bucks to help arrange the room and equipment if that is what it would take to make it happen. I suppose before we get too far into this we should see what Larry thinks of the idea. (Having dealt with him, I dont think that is a problem!)

Well, thanks to everyone for their comments. I'm trying to be comfortable with this kind of spotlight. Thebes, I really appreciate your lyrical and special description of how you felt about the afternoon.

Gary, I'm ready for that barbeque!

John and Gil, you are very, very kind. Gil, an analytic listening session takes quite a bit of time, which goes very quickly. The "Planets" session at Indy came at the end of the afternoon, and, yes, was way too abbreviated. The trick will be to pick out one to three pieces, some just to play and some to listen closely to what is really going on. Time and how to fit it all in the schedule would be major issues.

The benefits of looking at a score can be limited for some works; "Mars" is too difficult to follow, for example. Also, being able to read music is probably crucial to getting much out of it. Gary and Thebes both have that ability, and both have a very quick eye. The principal benefit is to get a better grasp of what is happening, pick up on and register more detail, and see how inventive the great composers are. I would guess that most would not look at more than the first page of a score, and then just listen.

I also think that a history of close listening to any kind of music is great preparation for very close listening to classical. Of course we equipment freaks tend to do that.

Gil, scores have way too many pages to photocopy. The paperbacks that I use aren't that expensive, so if it looks like one of them would work for this, I would just pick up 3-5 extra copies to pass around. The major issue is how to make such a session work. My sessions have been one-on-one, and leading a group, keeping interest, and using a limited amount of time would be a real challenge. Fortunately, as I said, most would just listen.

Scriven, your CD collection is a gold mine! I'm just pleased that it's working out for you.

Larry

It is the sharing of relationships and experiences such as these that makes it worth our while to particiapte in this forum. That is what this forum is all about.

In short....."Awesome, dude!" 9.gif There, I've said it for you, Thebes2.gif

Thanks for sharing, guys.

Gil has a geat idea and certainly Larry would be the one to lead.

Of course, Larry, there are always details to be worked out and that could be part of the planning process for the next gathering, one I would hope to attend.

Thanks for the kind comment Doger, I'm blushing so bad I don't even need a light on in the room.

Gary, I don't know if I should be congratulating you or HUNTING YOU DOWN YOU DIRTY DOG! (smily thingy here). If I decide to let you live I'llbe happy to brew up some Salt Potatoes, nd maybe smoke a haunch of something.

----------------

On 7/20/2004 9:44:22 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

Perhaps next year we can set up a classical session with Larry in charge. Really in charge. No talking, no guys wanting to hear anything than classical.

Larry could provide us with a photocopy of a score, put on his choice of a recording, and he can teach us about reading the score and what is going on with the music.

It would be grand.

Gil

----------------

Gil, this is a great idea. I would vote to see if we could do it in the Heritage room at the Lab, instead of the hotel room.

The hotel room was fun, but to be honest, it kind of sucked for listening.

For something like this, I would like to hear the music.

Lets take this up with Trey next year, if Larry is up for it that is.

JM

----------------

On 7/21/2004 8:50:46 PM j-malotky wrote:

Gil, this is a great idea. I would vote to see if we could do it in the Heritage room at the Lab, instead of the hotel room.

The hotel room was fun, but to be honest, it kind of sucked for listening.

For something like this, I would like to hear the music.

Lets take this up with Trey next year, if Larry is up for it that is.

JM

----------------

The Heritage room would be a lot better. Key question = do this the night before or as a break-out session the next day? If the night before, I have this vision of folks trying to decide whether to join bad boys carousing to rock in one place or would-be svelte types trying to learn about scores in another.

I'll be up for it, but will want to solicit some of you guys' excellent advice!

Larry

A second night of listening at the hotel would allow more time for something like this. This year, Friday night was great, but there was no Saturday night listening event planned. Thanks to Roger (and the UA) we had things to do, but I would be in favor of having a room and equipment available for Fri and Sat night next year.

I'm not quite sure what this would require. Something is do-able. We just have to be realistic. Naturally I'd be happy to donate equipment or chip into a room rental.

One thought is that Larry C. may cringe a bit at the monumental task to bring us "raised on Led Zepplin" blokes up to 50% speed on classical music. And we have a limited attention span. But that is not what is required. Let's keep it simple.

All Larry has to do is pass along 1% of his insights. Our insights gets boosted 100%.

Naturally, I leave it to Larry's considerable intellect and experience to set out a Classical Music for Dummies program.

Could we use 10 bars from each of the movements of, From the New World (Dvorak). Plus, perhaps, some from Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra (Purcell?). They are toe tappers.

I can appreciate that Larry had been doing this in the comfort of his home, with the K-Horns, and lots of time, the full score on the coffee table. Still, it seems to me that a dumbed down version for a large audience could be accomplished.

Best,

Gil

----------------

On 7/22/2004 5:56:47 AM scriven wrote:

I like the Saturday evening idea. That way I can party with the “bad boys carousing to rock” on Friday and still get in the “Classical Music for Dummies – who like to join bad boys carousing to rock” class!

----------------

Don't forget the Jazz Kitchen Poetry Lady!

----------------

On 7/22/2004 7:37:55 AM larryclare wrote:

----------------

On 7/22/2004 5:56:47 AM scriven wrote:

I like the Saturday evening idea. That way I can party with the “bad boys carousing to rock” on Friday and still get in the “Classical Music for Dummies – who like to join bad boys carousing to rock” class!

----------------

Don't forget the Jazz Kitchen Poetry Lady!

----------------

I havent. Despite my best efforts!