Question for HDBR

Istari

HDBR,

As the resident whiz on questions for the work done in Hope, could you please tell me what size of staple was used to put the cabinets together?

I have searched high and low on the board but can't seem to find the answer you gave me some time ago.

I want to purchase a pneumatic stapler and want to make sure that I get the right type that will shoot the corect size staple for building a Cornwall cabinet and such.

Thanks for your help!!

I have a question for Andy too. How do I change the stain to a darker color on my Khorns to match the walnut Belle? They are coated with a clear polyurethane and fine sanded to a piano-like finish. Any way of getting this stuff off without ruining the veneer?

Hello Artto,

I've refinished a lot of furniture and used chemical products like the thick gel strippers and Homer Formby's which is thinner type solvent for removing old lacquers, as well as various sanding techniques.

I personally think you're asking for trouble trying to remove a modern poly finish. Chemicals are very harsh and not very efficient on hard poly. Sanding runs the risk of gouging the surface and/or eating through the very thin veneer.

If the cabinets are in reasonably good shape, say 7 out of 10 or better, I wouldn't take any chances. Mismatched furniture is called 'eclectic' in today's circles.

BTW, keep rockin the Architectural Forum. You're one of my Heros!

Michael

There is a new product sold at Lowes called "Band-It" which is super thin vineer "actual wood" with hot melt glue on the back. It is applied with an iron set at 400 degrees F "cotton". Try a small piece of it and see if it sticks on your surface. If it does it finishes and looks great. Iv'e tried it on some composite finished wood surfaces with finished surface with great success. And if you put the grain lengthwise parallel to the edges it will bend easily around a 90 degree edge. It will not bend the other way. It looks as good as anything I have seen.

JJK

That is what they used in the factory to attach the glue blocks to the cabinet. They are a narrow crown fastener (pneumatic) but I'm not sure of the size of the crown or the length of the staple. The glue question was one that went into quite a bit of depth too.

The staples just hold the glue blocks in place until the glue dries. They don't do anything for the strength of the joint. Klipsch uses staples because they are cheap and fast for production. Bang, bang, bang...all done! Time is money. It is the glue that actually gives the joint its strength. If you are willing to go to the trouble and take the time, it would work as well to just clamp the parts in place until the glue sets. If you want to impart some addtional strength you can use screws if the block geometry allows. But any staples or brads that hold the glue blocks in place until the glue sets are fine. If you want a step up from staples, try ring shank brads or nails. But if you are shooting for an exact clone, by all means go with what Klipsch uses.

Thanks Colter. I was afraid of that. They're in pretty good shape (9 out of 10). Best I leave well enough alone.

Dean, yes, its a poly finish, I know because I'm the one who 'finished' them. 2.gif