Tube Pre-Amps

milton10

I know of a good one...

DSCF0944_7.jpg

If you don't need a phono out and have less than 3 sources, this sweet sounding BEZ Model Q4B SRPP linestage pre is a good choice at $245. You'll find Edmund Lam on eBay (user ID: zagger1). It uses 6SN7 input octals, OC3 and OD3 gas regulator tubes, and a 5Z4G rectifier. If you have about 2 months to wait (delivered economy surface shipping from Hong Kong), it's worth the wait IMO.

Just my two cents...

post-11084-13819257348124_thumb.jpg

The Mapletree Ultra 4A SE is good bang for your buck. I doubt you can find a nice new preamp with a phono section that can beat it for the pricepoint. I have been very happy with mine. Here's a--> review.

Craig at www.nosvalves.com may even have a slightly used one on steroids that he would be willing to part with if you want to save a couple of bucks?

Yup the Ultra 4A SE or Line 2 SE from Mapletree Audio are great little preamps in the $500 to $700 range. Then for the Ultimate the Peach or Blueberry from Juicy Music are great pieces of gear. Then there are a gazzilion used offerings out there ! Endless options

I'm not selling my Blueberry or my steroidal 2.gif Ultra 4A SE anytime soon.

Craig

Holy $h!t !!!!

I go to dinner to find 15 messages left, 2 conversations, and a sale! What a thread!

At any rate, my budget I guess is in the $300 range (unless that will only buy a POS). I like the look of both the Peach and the BEZ, but I think that the BEZ is more in my price range. I will not be running any phono, just a CD player.

I will be running this through my Outlaw 1050, and will be using a Cambridge Audio unit for CD's. I was told that if I use a tube preamp, that the output from the Outlaw would warm right up. Am I on the right track? Any other ideas?

With slight embarrassment I am taking inventory of my amplifiers. I figure I could have one REALLY NICE AMP if I sold them all. I shipped out my ST-70 today. 8.gif But my HF-81 is no longer jealous.

Perhaps sensibility will be a welcome guest in the near future. (Right now I am listening to Harmonia from Indiana University on the net, a far cry from DSOTM reissue last night, eschewing dBs for enlightenment. http://www.indiana.edu/~harmonia/ if you are interested. Tonight's main course is Scottish traditional. I picked up their radio program on the way to Michigan years ago.)

I heard your Blueberry at Gary's. Very transparent. I did not get a chance to let it steep as the Khorns were only warming up. Work was calling. Keep up the good work.

EDIT: Check out www.norh.com. He has some cost-conscious selections with russian tubes. I have never heard his stuff but there are some reviews on the net. One thing to consider, you can invest several times before you settle on one that suits your taste, but you will pay for the education.

Mark, have you considered getting one of these into the hands of a reputable reviewer? I know that one fellow you told me about sure enjoyed the sound of the Blueberry, but I can't remember if he was a reviewer or not.

At $300 you should add the AES AE-3 to your list. Though not as elaborate as the BEZ, I think it offers up a bit smoother presentation.

Milton, all the above choices are excellent examples of good tube preamps. And a good tube preamp will sound great controlling SS amplifiers. I did just that for a short time last year...

MC250b1.jpg

The '73 McIntosh MC250 with its 50 WPC and its patented Autoformers was about the most tube-like SS amp I've ever heard. Very warm, rich, and full, with precise clarity and extreme dynamics IMO...very impressive for one of Mac's very first transistor amplifiers! It might not have been the most up-to-date in design and circuitry, but to my ears it was a perfect match for my BEZ 6SN7 SRPP linestage pre. If I hadn't already commited to my BEZ 300B SET amp, I could've lived very well with the McIntosh MC250 driving my Cornwalls...FWIW, YMMV IMHO!2.gif

post-11084-13819257349472_thumb.jpg

finance = donate? 9.gif.

If I acquire Dan's 'Scalas, I will be totally broke 15.gif unless he gives me a substantial discount. 12.gif.

BTW, if I get the Peach at all, it will be the first brand new piece of tube gear I'll ever owned!

Why not just build one nice system Neo? Just sell everything off you're not completely in love with. You might have enough money to put a Peach in front of your Moondogs and new LaScalas -- that would be a very nice system.