I hate my Heresy II's (Is it my DENON head unit)

Born2RockU

I bought a complete surround system w/ 7 Klipsch speakers. I am using 4 Klipsch Heresy II's for the front mains and sides. I have the Reference RS-7 for the rear channels and (i believe) the RC-7 for the center (I can't get to the back to see the model #). I am using the 2400 Watt dual-15 SUB.

I am pleased w/ everything BUT the Heresy II's. They don't have any color, to me. I am using a DENON AVR-3802. I use it in the Dolby II mode when not listening to the surround DVD's. THe speakers sound so flat w/ no bottom and ...all horns with not enough highs. So in other words it sound too MID Range w/ a HORN sound.

What have I done wrong ? These were highly recommended to me...so I trusted the person. MY mistake. Do I sell the Heresy II's , or sell everything and start over? Any suggestions ? If this is the normal characteristic of the Heresy II...then can you give me a different speaker suggestion that I can gives me more highs, less horn mids and more body on the lower-mids?

Anything would be greatly appreciated.

It could be the settings/adjustments on your receiver, do you have the Heresy II's set to "Large" or "Small" it can also be attributed to your sources. I would set the Heresy II's to "Large" adding some bass content can tame the dominant midrange down some. Heritage speakers will reveal any flaws or shortcomings in upstream gear, so if you are using a mediocre DVD player as your CD player as well I can understand why they might sound harsh and bright. The Heresy II is perhaps one of the best balanced Klipsch speakers but perhaps somewhat bass shy. Perhaps you should move to Forte's as mains, you should also not mix and match Reference speakers with the Heritage speakers as they will not blend that well together.

----------------

On 8/13/2004 7:24:12 AM Frzninvt wrote:

I also see that you are using a DSP (Dolby Pro-Logic II) mode to listen to music - Yuk!! That may be the problem right there, use the 7.1 Matrix or 7 channel stereo option instead when listening to music it will make a big difference.

----------------

i agree. check the setting of your amp. it could be this.

I use the 3802 and my impression is far different than yours.

As others said - PL II is not my choice for listening to music. Actually all the DSP options (regardless of the recievers I have heard) make the music so compromised that I do not use them. Caveat - I do listen often to 5 channel but the DSP there matrixes the front center, maintains the integrity of the front mains and mostly makes use of delay to include the two side channels. The LF is augmented by a sub.

If listening to DVD-A, CD, DD or DTS you should only have an issue based on the quality of the engineering/music. Try letting the 3802 auto detect the DVD source and see if that changes anything.

My heresy and HIIs sound very nice to my ear in this arrangement.

I suggest that you save some money and not sell the Heresies before you try a few things. First, you should listen to DVDs in 5.1 Dolby Digital, not DPL II. You may need to set the DVD player to output "bitstream."

Also, the amps in the Denon are typical multi-channel receiver amps, i.e., they are poor amps. Try good outboard amplification. Also, try to experiment with placement of the Heresies.

Your receiver should set all speakers to small. The crossover should be set at 80 to 100 Hz.

Bill

McGoo, the Heresy is NOT a small speaker and setting them to "small" will only add to emphasis on the midrange what is NOT what he wants. I would only use the "small" setting if my mains had an 8" driver or smaller, otherwise you are wasting the additional range that they are capable of.

Before bailing on the Heresy's try some of the suggestions posted FIRST. Let us know if it makes a difference and then we can provide more recommendations. There are a number of people that use Heresy's in the HT's some at all positions and your's is the first complaint of this kind that I have seen.

I run my RF-7s as small in order to NOT have the varous speakers cancel or muddy the bass. It is impossible with current technology to not have phase issues and cancelations with 5 speakers trying to play bass.

Rf-7s have much better bass response than Heresies. With all of the speakers set to small, the subwoofer provides most of the bass below the crossover frequency.

It is a common misconception that speakers that can play as large should be set as large.

Bill

PS: The Heresies are good down to 63 Hz per Klipsch. Speakers should be able to play one full octave below the crossover point to properly blend with the subwoofer. This translates to a crossover of 120 Hz which means that the subwoofer can be localized. A crossover of 100 Hz would be best IMHO, since it is difficult to locate a sub that plays below 100 Hz. B.

To each his own I suppose but I personally see running a fine speaker such as an RF-7 on "small" as a waste of a speaker, they can easily handle the additional range. I have no cancellation issues and I am running all "7" speakers on "Large" the impact is much more intense and the speakers have NO problems doing it either. I cross my subs over at 60Hz.

Why get tink, tink, tink, when you could be getting bam, bam, bam!

I have klf 30s for mains I only set them large for music and have the sub on plus mode crossed over at 50hz to give more depth for movies I set all speakers to small and crossover at 50hz this way the speakers sound cleaner and all the bass under 50hz goes to the sub (which does a better job with bass anyway) Rich

My setup can easily make you think that you have been kicked in the chest with the bass. The RF-7s set as small do play below 80 Hz per the slope of the crossover.

An RSW-15 has more than enough bass for folks other than theEAR. I let the RSW do what it does best which is play very low.

IMO, it is a mistake to send 16 and 20 Hertz signals to the Heresies. They just cannot handle frequencies that low. When you set a speaker as "large" in a home theater, it can easily get signals all the way down to 16 Hz due to the way movies may be mixed.

Bill

No offense frzn, but MrMcGoo is right. And I believe that seeings how I run a HT with all Heresy surrounds, I'm just a bit more qualified to speak to this. 2.gif

Additionally, this "large" versus "small" topic was covered in good depth sometime back. And after some discussion and citing of some findings, there was general agreement that unless you had main speakers that were capable of some serious output down to 30 or 40Hz, running them as "small" with a receiver crossover of 100 or 120Hz would allow the sub to handle the low frequency information. In fact, HornEd was a big contributor to this topic and after some experimentation, he was running the main in his system (with the exception of his Khorns) as "small".

Lastly, when I was using my Heresy's for mains, I tried them with my Denon in both the "small" & "large" setting and found that they sounded much better set to "small" with my sub set to blend - i.e. higher crossover point. I feel this is the best way to set them up. I would also suggest that he look at his sub settings.

What puzzles me is the criticism of lack of top end on his Heresy II's. Which, BTW is what I perceive Born2RockU's complaint is - not bottom end or too much mid-range. Most people complain about Heresy's being too bright! Methinks there needs to be a bit more info from RockU's receiver's settings for us to help him diagnose the problem. LOL...wouldn't it be funny if the problem was simply that his treble adjustment was turned all the way down??

Tom

I hated my cornwalls with my sony DA5ES HT receiver. I tried every setting in the book and couldn't get them to sound good. Loved them with my old kenwood SS and of course the many different tube amps I've used over the past couple of years. I run a pair of heresys with a little fisher X-100 tube integrated and get tons of bass out of them. They sound great. It very well could be your Denon. JMHO and a little experience to back it up. I do think utilizing the sub as others have suggested could help to remedy your situation.