UPS Damage

redtop

The law of averages finally caught up with me. I bought and had some Heresy's shipped to me that UPS damaged. Sonically they are fine, but two corners were badly beat up on the top of both speakers.

I've never been through a damage claim with UPS and would appreciate any pointers on the process. Is it all or nothing with them? Or do they settle for an agreed value reduction? These are 1978 Heresy's and I would hate to get a check and see them put in a UPS warehouse or landfill somewhere.

Any advice appreciated.

Redtop

Join the club I just got a set of Heresy II's off of e-bay and they were shipped via UPS and have similar damages to yours. I was told by UPS that their insurance would settle with the UPS store where they were shipped and the UPS store settle with the shipper and I have to settle with him. Think I have much of a chance here?!?!?7.gif I hope everything works out for both of us. I will never allow a speaker to be shipped via UPS again though.

If you went through paypal, file a claim through their "Buyer Protection Plan".

UPS insurance only protects the shipper. IMHO it's a fraud.

My advice to all from now on, open the box in front of the driver. Make him wait! If there is any damage make sure it is noted on his delivery reciept or refuse the shipment.

I've been burned by both UPS and FEDEX.14.gif

Rick

To be fair to UPS, I have had shipped or shipped a total of 8 pairs of speakers over the last 2 years. All made it just fine except for the last pair. I will say that the seller did not do as good of a job of having them packed as he might have, but it still should have been good enough.

3dzapper, thanks for the Paypal pointer. I did pay for these with Paypal and I will look into that option as well. Would not have considered that without your input.

Ideally, I would rather keep the speakers and just be compensated for the loss in value (probably about 1/2), but if they "total" them like an insurance company, I may not have any choice.

Off to check on Paypal's buyer protection.

Redtop

Me and UPS aren't getting along very well these days either. I bought a Macintosh G4 Cube system off of eBay recently, complete with a 17" Studio Display CRT, clear back. This system was packed in 2 boxes, double boxed and triple bubble wrapped by a professional shipping company. I noticed right away that the monitor box had been dropped on two top corners. The front bezel around the screen was broken and the monitor had about one shade of purple every where. They came and picked it up and said check with them in 3 weeks. Well they paid off on it but get this they sent the check to the shipper not me. It was my money and I paid for the shipping. They said this was policy. I'm like WTF! If they had sent it back to a bad seller on ebay because he/she had shipped it I would have never seen this money. The check amount was suppose to be $220 but all I got out of the shipping company was $200. Also the lady at UPS told she was not suppose to even tell us how much the check was for. To top it off I got a good deal on a Mac G4 Dual processor tower the other week and if I hadn't been home last Friday I would probably have never seen it. I heard something go thump. I thought what was that? I looked out the front window and the UPS guy is driving off. He had left my tower in the driveway in plain view. Jeez Louise! I've been using FedEx for all my heavy shipping for 2 years which is a once or twice a week deal for us and have had only one claim from a customer. Supposedly they delivered something to the wrong address. I give UPS two thumbs down!

Grateful

The sad truth is that UPS employs student gorillas in their loading facilities. While I do not/did not claim to be one of these primates...;>)., I did have a stint as a truck loader at the Columbus, Ohio facility some 15 years back, and witnessed the poor handling behavior first hand.

Students + 130 degree truck interiors + uneducated foremen barking unrelentless commands + lack of respect for others goods = damaged boxes.

Their claim/insurance system is nothing more than a rouse to make more money and exercise denial.

Popbumper

So would you guys recommend I just go straight to the Paypal buyer protection plan?

It sounds more and more like the shipper gets his (at some point) and then I have to depend on his good graces for re-imbursement. Because he was a little slow in shipping, I've only got 10 days to file my Paypal claim.

Redtop

I used to use UPS exclusively but no more, I use Fedex Ground because it is significantly cheaper and they don't beat the living crap out of the packages. The majority of damage occurs because the item or items were not packed Gorilla proof as Popbumper says. Always, always double box with plenty of bubblewrap and solid foam (no peanuts, they shift). The UPS Store can't pack worth a crap and they charge a bundle for their sub standard packing. If I buy something I have the seller print out specific instructions (that I email) on packing for them to follow and sometimes they cannot even get that right.

You can initiate a claim with UPS as the receiver, but then the idiots want to pick the speakers up in the sub standard cartons that they have already beat them up in, and ship them back to the hub where they originated and incur more damage more than likely is that the dumbest thing you ever heard of or what. I have in the past insisted that an inspector come and look at the carton at my residence and will not tolerate a "we can't do that." Hit them where it hurts, in the pocket book stop using them! The UPS store charges premiums over taking items directly to a UPS Customer Counter which is silly!

The seller is who gets reimbursed provided that they determine that it is their liability, they love to blame it on everyone else but themselves for sure.

I sent Popbumper the Heresy II's I sold him Fedex Ground in the original cartons with a good amount of additional packing from VT to TX and they arrived safely. It's all in the packing folks!

----------------

On 8/31/2004 7:01:03 PM fastlane wrote:

That's why I always use Fedex. I have never had a problem even shipping across the country. Not to mention UPS is usually higher in cost than Fedex.

----------------

Fed Ex Destroyed the bases on my chorus2s, I would Never ship FED EX!

As "Frzninvt" shared:

I sent Popbumper the Heresy II's I sold him Fedex Ground in the original cartons with a good amount of additional packing from VT to TX and they arrived safely.

Yes, I could NOT have been happier with the transaction and the shape of the speakers. The boxes were well packed and very durable with excess material, the seller was EXTREMELY meticulous and caring about the speakers being maintained. The fact they traveled that great a distance w/o harm is testament to the care taken. I think the overall theme here is: 1) PACK WELL 2) DON'T use UPS.

Popbumper

RadioB, and I bet that they were not adequately packed for their weight and size either. A little common sense goes a long way. They should have been double boxed with the outer carton being double-walled with a minimum of 2"-3" of solid foam around them.

When I had my DBX BXI Power amp shipped to me that weighs in at 110lbs I asked for the UPS Store to triple box it, they did, but in just three boxes with no packing in-between! Pretty intelligent folks there! Calling them dumb would be kind. It did sustain some slight bottom corner damage and with the weight it tore through all three cartons.

This is not to say that FED EX and UPS are not at fault, they are! They do not take the care with the cartons that they should that is a given. The point is to pack stuff with that in mind.

Well, I have a positive story about UPS:

Bought my first Klipsch speakers off eBay 9.gif (Cornwall IIs) and arranged to have the seller drop off the speakers at his local UPS store (Salem, VA). I spoke with the employees over the phone prior to the dropoff and went over the packing of the speakers. Called them again when the seller dropped off the speakers and got assurances that the speakers would be well packaged.

The speakers were shipped Monday (ground) and arrived today. The store employees had wrapped the speakers in bubblewrap, then a cardboard shell all around to protect the corners, well taped, then they were placed in a double-box filled with sytrofoam peanuts, again well taped.

They arrived in good shape and so far I have opened one box (had to get back to work) and will head out soon back to the studio to open the second.

Very happy and lucky (based on the stories written above).

Speakers $770

Packaging $ 90

Shipping $240

Total $1,100

More than I had wanted to spend on a used pair of speakers, but these were mint Cornwall IIs with the cane grills.

BTW, these are HUGE speakers 6.gif

I've got a story about UPS that happened today!

Today I got my RB-25s and the box looked a little beat up and had a tear on one of the top edges, I was terrified. With the UPS guy there I tore the box open and inspected each speaker, perfect, ahh what a relief! I was about to be so mad at the UPS guy if something was wrong with them, but then out of nowhere he said it. "Those are really good speakers! I have some similiar ones at home, you're going to love them." He went on to talk about how he had the RB-35s and the rest of the matching reference setup and he told me that he got the box from the distribution center with the tear in it and after seeing what it was he was going to feel bad if anything was wrong with them. This by far was the absolute coolest delivery guy there is, I hope he delivers the rest of the stuff I'm going to end up buying down the road.

Say it is'nt so !!!!! Ugggggggg

I've got a single walnut belle coming to me via UPS , if those SOB's damage her i'll be totaly pissed .

She was over the weight so the small box in front is the driver which had to be removed and shipped seperate in order to make the weight cut off .

I'll sit here for the next week with my fingers crossed .

Belle packed.jpg

post-10527-13819257755984_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 9/2/2004 8:08:35 PM Malcolm wrote:

Dale,

You are one brave man. I wouldn't ship one except via freight on a pallet, preferably completely enclosed in a a plywood and foam container.

Good luck!

----------------

What do you think is in the other crates ???????