DTS

Hardhitter

Just wondering if anyone can answer a few questions. I have a DTS reciever and a DTS DVD player, but I can not get DTS playback. I have everything wired optic, and I am set to bitstream output on the dvd. When I switch the reviever to DTS input I get nothing. And when I select Digital input all I get is the standard Dolby Digital signals. Am I doing something wrong? By the way, I am trying to play DTS encoded DVD's. This is driving me crazy!!!!

Also, what is the diff. between the optical and the coaxal inputs, should I switch to coaxal?

Most movies default to Dolby Digital. When the DTS movies is at the menu, select Languages or Setuo-up then languages/audio. It will then give you the option to select DTS. It will then usually throw up another screen that has you confirm that you want to listen to the DTS track.

Jason.

You need to go into the DVD's "Audio Set Up" menu and choose DTS! Otherwise it defaults to Dolby Digital, it will not automatically play by choosing DTS on the receiver.

The DVD that you are playing also obviously has to have a DTS encoded soundtrack which most do not have.

----------------

On 9/9/2004 11:36:23 AM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

I watched Hildago last night on DVD DTS..in the first part of the movie a train goes right through you...it was up loud.. For a 1/2 second I panicked thinking a train was coming through my house!!

----------------

Yeah? Is it a good movie? Looks like it could be.

----------------

On 9/9/2004 11:25:35 AM Hardhitter wrote:

....Also, what is the diff. between the optical and the coaxal inputs, should I switch to coaxal?----------------

The difference as I under it .... an optical cable converts its signal to light pulses, and the coaxial cable passes its digital signal without any conversion.

Under 50' runs both should both perform equally. Optical may have an advantage on runs >50'.

Hardhitter, I know this is a very stupid question but when

you play the DVD do you select DTS sound in the DVD's menu

option. The reason I ask is because if you did you will not

get any sound on the Dolby Digital selection on your receiver.

There is no difference on wether your can play DTS by using

optical or coax cables.

I do now, thanks! I was just in a brain dead state! Too much work, not enough play..........,

But everything is great now!

Optical vs. Coax.........I am hearing 2 sides, a freind builds home theater sys. for a living! He only uses optical and says there is now diff. for the distance I am running. But I have been told and read that the coax is a better conduit for higher bit info. I run optical now, and I am not even sure if there is anything out there that even coded with that much info? I will prob. just stick with optical unless someone has some great info on the subject.

----------------

On 9/9/2004 12:17:00 PM m00n wrote:

Ok cool... I just posted in your thread down in the movies section asking if it was worthy of purchase.

Guess I'll go buy it in the next few days.

----------------

I'd suggest renting it first. Maybe it's good for showing off your system, but is it a movie you'd watch more than once???

switch to digital coaxial..better signal..IMO 10.gif

Otherwise, could be A\V Receiver problem, not getting signal from the reader, if it reads and plays it's sending the proper signal, or could be a disk issue.

If it plays and not the actual soundfield of the disk, could be bootleg or pirate..and yes running wild these days, actually bought 2 from overseas previous, be careful...10.gif