Yamaha and Klipsch Development and Sales Alliance

formica

Yamaha Corporation and Klipsch Audio Technologies Forge Product Development and Sales Alliance

What do you guys make out of the Yamaha and Klipsch distribution association? Huge potential sale growth or simply reduction of the "Klipsch" brand name value?

It's very tricky to say given how large and varied Yamaha's musical products are... form instruments, to HT, the professional equipment.

Rob

This is a major step forward for Klipsch. It's nearly impossible to break into the Japanese home islands. Klipsch has managed this breakthrough along with a major business aliance. This is the opposite of the deal with Best Buy.

Yamaha has a bigger and better name than Klipsch. In no way will this venture hurt Klipsch as long as the products jointly developed are of Klipsch's traditional quality IMO.

Bill

----------------

On 9/17/2004 9:32:26 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

Yamaha has a bigger and better name than Klipsch. In no way will this venture hurt Klipsch as long as the products jointly developed are of Klipsch's traditional quality IMO.

----------------

Not only that, but I found I like the Yamaha products, both in quality and features than the Samsung products that Klipsch did a joint-venture with before. I almost picked up one of those Samsung/Klipsch HTiB setups for use on my PC, but I most likely would've replaced the Samsung reciever thingy with an inexpensive Yamaha one.

As long as quality don't go down hill it don't mean a hill of beans to me that they would want to sell out. Heck I would like to beable to buy klipsch at the local quickie mart. It's just good business for them. If I worked at klipsch and was a part owner I would be super happy. I probally would be throwing a party right about now.

----------------

On 9/17/2004 10:11:58 PM edwinr wrote:

... Interesting. I have been recommending Yamaha products recently with Klipsch speakers. A great match for those who prefer solid state multi channel options - particularly the RXV1400 and RXV2400.

----------------

How about their more affordable line rx-? How would they sound with klipsch? I have always been curious. I am all about budget. I have to be I just don't have that kind of money to lump down. That's why I like buying used. Especially when people get the upgrade bug you can get really good deals.

My son (Invidiosulus on the forum) has a Ymaha HTR-5540 that osunds quite good with his Heresy cabs (or JBL for that matter). It is very quiet and runs very cool compared to the Sony I have on my system. My Sony has been okay, but runs very hot (even while idling), and if gien the choice again, I would get a Yamaha.

My SOny is also quiet, and at the levels I play music, it is way overkill (100wpc) and I only use it in 2 channel mode. I needed a quick replacement at one point and got it from Crutchfield. The price was right, but I would switch if I had the money. I am just spending the money on other things right now.

Marvel

The deal sounds pretty good, although I had a Yammie receiver that did not match up well with my Kg's, others here have had much different experiences. The Denon I now own sounds much better.

I wonder if this is a two-way street or just for the American market. What I mean is will the Japanese now discover the joys of Klipsch in their own back yard. I've been to Japan and like the people. Would like to see some of them checking into the forum.

I've heard Yamaha's attempts with home speakers and wasn't impressed... so Klipsch will definitely help round out their offerings. As a trade, Klipsch gains a much larger market distribution.

That may sound like a win-win deal... but the risk lies in how much importance lies in the "exclusivity" of a brand. If everyone drove a Mercedes, would they remain as appealing to their current high $ customers? Just a thought....

Wonder if they (Yamaha) will be pimping Aragon along side theirs?

Rob

----------------

On 9/17/2004 10:43:20 PM wheelman wrote:

How about their more affordable line rx-? How would they sound with klipsch? ----------------

I'm not sure about the RX lineup, wheelman. I've only had experience with the more expensive RXV's. On the other hand I haven't heard anything bad about the less expensive Yamaha's - I guess at those prices you will have some tradeoff's like fewer facilities and DSP's and less power. But the basic sound should be okay especially for a Klipsch speaker. After all, Yamaha has been promoting the 'Natural Sound' theme for a long time.

THe RF7 brochure I have from over a year ago shows the RF series mated with Yamaha components. It thought it was odd that a brochure would make such an obvious statement when Aragon could have easily been displayed. I thought it was done to aid dealers in an affordable to buy package, given Yamahas wide availability.

It's strange that no Japanese company can manage to make good speakers, at least none of ever heard or heard of. Yamaha seems to be the best of the mass market component makers these days, at least from what reviews I have read. I have a basic Yamaha belt drive turntbale that I use for recording to computer and their top of line tape deck from the late 90s (KX 690) and both are well built, good sounding components for the price.

----------------

On 9/19/2004 5:19:52 AM edwinr wrote:

----------------

On 9/17/2004 10:43:20 PM wheelman wrote:

How about their more affordable line rx-? How would they sound with klipsch? ----------------

I'm not sure about the RX lineup, wheelman. I've only had experience with the more expensive RXV's. On the other hand I haven't heard anything bad about the less expensive Yamaha's - I guess at those prices you will have some tradeoff's like fewer facilities and DSP's and less power. But the basic sound should be okay especially for a Klipsch speaker. After all, Yamaha has been promoting the 'Natural Sound' theme for a long time.

----------------

they make subwoofers but not very good ones. I have one. Actually, its just grossly underpowered. I only use it for movies at low levels. If i listen at high levels, it clips. Its not made for hanging out with klipsh. I had it from a previous system, just haven't replaced it yet. I'm waiting for Ear to send me one of his leftovers1.gif

----------------

On 9/24/2004 6:08:27 PM D-MAN wrote:

But Yamaha doesn't make speakers, or if they do, they must suck, because I've NEVER heard of them or seen one!

----------------

Here you go... Yamaha's HOME loudspeakers and Yamaha's PRO loudspeakers

I have only heard their home versions... and they weren't very good, but their pro equipment has a better reputation.

----------------

On 9/24/2004 10:01:09 PM v3spitfire wrote:

I'm waiting for Ear to send me one of his leftovers
1.gif

----------------

Leftovers? You may just end up with a piece of tourtière. 9.gif

Rob

----------------

On 9/24/2004 6:08:27 PM D-MAN wrote:

But Yamaha doesn't make speakers, or if they do, they must suck, because I've NEVER heard of them or seen one!

----------------

Yamaha used to make some very well known speakers. On a smaller scale Yamaha produced one of the most prolific 'studio monitors' ever made. This was the legendary NS-10M. This loudspeaker featured a 2 way design with a 6 inch or thereabouts mid/woofer made of Japanese white spruce fibres. It was actually produced in 2 variations. One variation was the NS-10SM, a true near field monitor designed for the studio, with no grill and designed to lie on it's side on top of mixing desks. You can still see this speaker in situ in visual media coverage of sound recording studios. The other variation was the NS-10M, a domestic version of the actual studio monitor. This speaker came with grill covers, designed for 'upright use', and featured slightly lower power components.

There were several larger variations on the NS-10M theme, the most famous being the NS-1000M. A 3 way design that actually sounded very good. The NS-1000M is now very collectable and enthusiasts will pay good money for a pair in mint condition.

Up until a few months ago, the 'studio monitor' version of the NS-10M was still available. But recently Yamaha announced it was to cease production of this loudspeaker. Yamaha cited difficulties in obtaining sufficient stocks of Japanese White Spruce to satisfy production demands. I haven't heard what replacement Yamaha has in the wings. Perhaps Klipsch might be able to help Yamaha in this area?

If anyone is going to ask how the NS-10M sounded. Well, they were rather bright and had little or no bass - being a sealed box design. For years there was much discussion on what brands and types of tissue paper could and should be pasted over the tweeter to tame the top end. Out of interest, I believe the Michael Jackson album, 'Thriller' was mixed in it's entirety on Yamaha NS-10M's.