Does selling your stuff make you sad?

space_cowboy

I have a hard time selling anything. All I can think about is how many lawns I mowed to save up to get something and if it is going to sell for only half the price it makes me sick. I know that I have gotten my entertainment dollars out of it but just cannot let it go. Yes, I still have a Bose 3.1 cube setup. I have those in a workout room. I used to fly remote control airplanes, have not flown one in 2 to 3 years but still have all my stuff. It will probably die from non use before I would sell it.

It's not the selling that makes me sad, it's the realization that leads up to the sale that the thing I'm selling just doesn't do it for me.

I've had a real love/hate relationship with speakers for, like, 25 years. I know what music sounds like when I'm out at a club or at a concert, and that's what I want at home. That's impossible. So, the question is what aspects of that sound are important, and what can you do without. The problem is every compromise I've made as turned out in the end to be too much of a compromise. Thiels have, in my opinion, the absolute best ability to make people singing sound like real people of any speakers I've heard. But, their dynamics are too constrained. B&W have the best ability to give you that "lean into the sound until you fall of the edge of your seat" realism of any speakers I've heard, but they lack dynamics, require gobs of high quality power, and require a rather intimate seating arrangement. VMPS have the best soundstaging and accurate timbre, but they lack an organic sensuousness that I crave. Klipsch have the most realistic dynamics, and do a reasonably good job in the other areas.

So, I keep buying speakers that do one thing really, really well, am happy for some time, the start to crave whatever it is that the speaker doesn't do, sell the speakers, any buy something that trends towards the polar opposite.

Over the years I've had Thiel CS 3.5, B&W 801 (various generations), Acoustic Energy AE-1, VMPS Supertowers (various models), Klipsch La Scalas, KHorns, KG series, CF series, Ohm D & C, Infinity Quantum (various), Yamaha NS 1000, JBL (various), Electrovoice and probably a bunch of others whose memory is slipping into the gray mists of time...

Each time I'd sell something for a fraction of what I'd paid for it with a great deal of regret and sadness over unrealized dreams, and move on to the next purchase with the hope that I was going to find what I was looking for.

Over the course of time, I've tended to follow a sort of chaotic random walk that always leads back to Klipsch, as the speaker that most closely realises the recreation I am looking for. The KHorns I had to let for other reasons, but of everything I've ever had, they came closest to matching the reproduction to the image I had in my minds eye. Even so, they are only speakers, and as such come up short of creating the image that Shirley Manson is singing to me.

----------------

On 9/19/2004 8:21:12 AM TBrennan wrote:

No, it's just stuff. Now when people leave my life, that makes me sad. But not when I get rid of speakers, amps, furniture, cars or the garbage.
----------------

Tom,

Thanks for sharing this word. It is a good reminder about what is ultimately important.

Yep, I get sad about selling stuff, looking at the gear collection and thinking this is just way to much stuff, but then break out into a cold sweat when thinking of what can be sold off. I mean, even amps sitting in the closet, speakers sitting unconnected.

Maybe we need a twelve step forum. Well.... not maybe... just to help the addictive types recover enough to really enjoy the music.

9.gif

I used to hate selling stuff, but now I love doing it. The key is to invite people over, or loan what you want to sell to the person you might want to sell it to. It makes it worlds easier when you turf it over, because you know it is going to a loving home.

Now selling it to a complete stranger may be a different story...

LOL

BBB is correct,YOU are guilty as charged and will work at a B0$e factory in the AcousticMe$$ assembly! 9.gif

See I sell gear sometimes,most I keep even if some large piles of expensive gear are collecting dust for months before I use them.The special gear I do not sell,even if I have to pile it up.

Like my spare amps and subs,they stay.3.gif

I lend out stuff that I am not using currently. Hmm... Jeff, where's my spare kenwood 606...?! If it gets to the point that I have too much stuff, I would rather lend and/or give it away than have to sell it at a big loss.

Unfortunately, sometimes there are situations that you must sell, and the way that I view it, is that you can always replace what you have again. It may not be easy, nor inexpensive, and we will always find gear, tools, or appliances that may be better suited to our day to day usage and lifestyle.

I agree with Tom; it's just stuff. People leaving bothers me, too. When I was younger, stuff used to be a priority. I guess that changes as we grow up, or at least it's supposed to change, anyway. I have discovered, like Clu, that I also prefer to pass things on. That's why both our kids' homes are now busting out at the seams with all of our old stuff! 9.gif (Is true!)

Ah! The joy of being able to park in one's own garage again! 2.gif

I don't necessarily have a problem selling stuff I truly don't need/use. What I have a problem selling or even giving away is stuff I don't need/use but some how represents a moment or period in my life or was passed down to me. What's that saying about you can't go back?

For instance, I have a 1994 Kawasaki ZX9R Ninja that's in pristine condition with only 23K original miles. I bought that bike new after I got divorced and at a time in my life when I was going through some changes (for the good). I've often told people it was my second childhood, hormone thing kickin' in. After I bought the bike I took a week off and headed for a motorcycle rally in southeast Ohio (great roads there BTW). That 10 day trip was one of the best trips I've taken. Plenty of scenery, lots of twisty roads, and met some interesting people (especially in West by-god Virginia 6.gif). The only dim spot was having to ride with a hangover one morning after drank too much the night before trying to score with some chick. Man...what a loser I was that night. In more ways than one! 15.gif

Anyhow, I don't ride the Ninja much and I know that selling it is the right thing to do. But every time I look at it, all I can see are awesome memories of me & that bike going to Ohio or riding in the Rockies or doing burnouts & other hooligan things at Bike Week or pulling off at an overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway and sitting under a tree for a while....(sigh)

Why the hell I'm telling all this is beyond me. 1.gif

I will second the notion of giving stuff away though. Yeah...I might have been able to get 50 bucks for that desk, but some kid will enjoy it.

Tom

Tom Adams: Yeah, I used to ride, too. I used to miss it....

Take a picture of the bike, hang it on the wall next to where you keep your liquor and then sell the bike. Use the money you get for the bike to buy more audio stuff! Then, sit there, listening to 'Born to be wild' while you get sh*t-faced looking at your bike in the picture. I don't think you miss it much by the time the buzz kicks in. 2.gif You won't be tempted to hop on it and ride for old time's sake while you are drunk, either! 9.gif