Star Wars

IndyKlipschFan

I watched the Original, New Hope last night... DVD Widescreen...

1st off, amazing clearity... great sound, explosions are just incredible.. They added some stuff... I give it a 9- 10 scale..

I know this might / should be in the DVD section, but it is so good, I wanted to let you all know worth the buy and for the HT people a "must buy" if your into Science fiction too. The commentary after you have seen it is fun to hear too.

Enjoy and "May The Force Be With You!!

Also check out the Musketeers for effects, music, and story,...a 10. Disney hit a huge home run too!

----------------

On 9/23/2004 5:03:43 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

I know this might / should be in the DVD section, but it is so good, I wanted to let you all know worth the buy and for the HT people a "must buy" if your into Science fiction too. The commentary after you have seen it is fun to hear too.

----------------

Yup, I already got it! Just had not had time to sit down and watch it, yet. I maybe this weekend.

Indy-wait til you get to Return of the Jedi. The lightsaber battle and space battles are fantastic. I watched some of it on the THX system via Infocus 7705 (or whatever #) projector. It was stellar, to say the least. Much, much more than I expected.

David

The Star Wars DVDs are excellent in my view. However, some folks are unhappy with the sound in New Hope. I am having a difficult time replicating the alleged problems, so I'd give Lucas a 9.5/10.

Some folks are saying that they want to wait to buy till the high definition version (Blue Ray)is available. No way. The THX transfer looks as good as any Superbit disk and the sound is Surround EX. High def may actuall bring out the imperfections in the picture quality. Restorations are not the best candidates for high def in my view.

Bill

The Empire Strikes Back is superb also. Some folks are unhappy with the sound effects from the Imperial walkers. The sound effects are about right for me, but I can see the other point of view.

The Ewoks in Return of the Jedi have not improved with time IMO, but Princess Leia looks better than ever.

Bill

----------------

On 9/23/2004 11:53:00 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

The Empire Strikes Back is superb also. Some folks are unhappy with the sound effects from the Imperial walkers. The sound effects are about right for me, but I can see the other point of view.

The Ewoks in Return of the Jedi have not improved with time IMO, but Princess Leia looks better than ever.

Bill
----------------

Bill-I happened to watch the assault scene on Hoth as well and did not mind the sound at all. There was nice very nice bass hitting pretty low, expecially with that very large explosion at the end, when the shield generator is blown up. However, I did find some of the video to be lacking. This is more a result of the technology at the time than anything else. (I am referring to a couple of the snowspeeder scenes.)

From what I've seen thus far, I'd give it a 9.5 as well.

Mini-rant: I pre-ordered this set from BB and STILL have not received it. It is very frustrating to know that I could have gone out, purchased the series and already watched them before mine even show up. I did get the bonus DVD (R2-D2-beneath the dome), but this does not make up for the late arrival. Rant over.

David

I got the set for my husband's anniversay gift. Pre-ordered from Amazon. I got a great price, quick delivery , and free shipping. SCORE! We were watching some of New Hope last night with the comentary. I liked it. I was really excited about watching the behind the scenes on III making the helmet, etc. knowing we will get to see Hayden make the full transformation into Darth Vader.

• Like 1

Got it as well - finished up "New Hope" last evening. I was amazed at the clarity, the accurate color, and especially the bass effects. There were some scenes which put my sub through the "ringer" so to speak. Overall I guive it a 9.5 as well. I am very happy the set finally came out.

Gotta say one other thing - while I indeed was "moved" by seeing it again after all these years on a real system (as opposed to a TV with poor sound and commercials), I could not help but feel it was just a bit "hokey". Hearing Darth Vader with the adult realization of James Earl Jones as the voice took a bit of the "magic" away from it, and some of the costumes seemed cheesy. I guess that is what becoming an adult is all about - you realize that the "thrills" of your youth are confined at least in part TO your youth, never again to return. Back in 1977, this was THE most remarkable film I had ever seen...and I know that a lot of people walked away from it feeling the same. When you get older, you cannot see things from the same "eyes", though it still evokes some strong emotions.

Popbumper 9.gif

IV 9.5 Hey it is the origional tells the story better than all others too.

V 8- 8.5.. seemed better faster pace....

VI 7 The Ewoks ruined it for me.. Long pauses in acting.. I felt like Ok he sold out on this one..did he go to muppetland or something to sell toys too? While the plot changes twists are fun they are also stretched a little long even for me getting into it.

OK, So you can re live your past. And the visuals are incredible.. The explosions are great.. Things flying over, under, from left to right, above right to below left.. I am almost "sea sick" I am serious over the panning, dips and explosions... BOOOOOOM for sure in a few places. (Don't get me wrong, all good.. Just might make you dizzy too if you see more than one movie at a time.)

Bottom line? Buy it, enjoy it.. You know you have too!

Had my movie party last night. Always good to see glazed eyes full of wow. We watched #4 - A new hope. I was very impressed with the quality. They did a very impressive job with making the film feel recent. Hard to believe this movie is almost 30 years old.

2 things that I could not help noticing that today looks cheezy where 30 years ago was not. 1. Darth Vaders voice. It was very weak, very shallow sounding too. And the tie fighter sceans when flying over the death star, look very plasticy by today's standards.

Overall I think it was fantastic. They guy left his disks here so I could watch the other two movies. I'm hoping to get a chance to watch them this weekend for sure. Just depends on what the wife has planned.