Which receiver to match up with Klipsch

jyalbert

I am building a home theater and have been doing tons of research at every component juncture: speakers, receiver, projector, etc. After auditioning a few brands and with an irresistable quote from a local merchant, I have already decided and have purchased the Klipsch Reference series: twin RF25's,1 RC25, 3 RS25's. (Here's the irresistable part: all that for $1000.) I have also added a Velodyne DLS-3750R sub-woofer, as the Klispch seemed a little bright. I was going to get a sub-woofer anyway since this is a home theater and I wanted that sound effects experience. Also for music this sub-woofer is...yada...yada...yada.

So my question to the audiophile community at large is; "What would be the best A/V receiver to match up with this speaker setup? I have to place a $500 (shipping and tax included) limit on the receiver. I want either 6.1 or 7.1, although I don't have that 4th surround; I don't think my room needs it. It should be this years model, with all the decoding.

I am leaving all the other features unidentified since I am more interested in the sound quality that I will achieved when matched with my speakers.

Thanks in advance for any comments or recommendations.

The Onkyo TX-SR601 (6 x 80 watts) goes for $415.

The Pioneer VSX-D914K (6 x 110 watts) goes for $345.

The Yamaha RX-V750 (6 x 90 watts) goes for $465.

These would all be brand new units from soundpros.com.

Of course, you could always scour places like audioconsultants.com, audiogon.com, videogon.com, and stereophile.com's A/V marketplace for used products.

Are your suggestions based on my budget or on the matching of those receivers to my Klipsch Speakers?

By the way, quite frankly, I don't even know what "matched" means. As a novice I can only assume from what I've read in these forums. Does it mean that the speaker's draw of power for each channel will not exceed that which can be provided by the receiver without distorting the original sound?

Thanks for your input.

I haven't heard the RF 25's but a good bet with Klipsch would be to check out the Denon line. I have one (2803) and am pleased with the way it works with Klipsch and many others here like the matchup.

I'm sure some other folks who have the RF's will be along to give you advice so be patient and also give us some info on room placement, source etc.

----------------

On 10/2/2004 7:42:06 PM jyalbert wrote:

Are your suggestions based on my budget or on the matching of those receivers to my Klipsch Speakers?

By the way, quite frankly, I don't even know what "matched" means.

----------------

Hi, jyalbert. As you know, virtually anything will drive Klipsch speakers quite loudly, if not to ear shattering levels (except some very low powered SET tube amps in larger rooms). Even my 30+ watts per channel Jolida tube amp drives my Klipschorns to levels where I couldn't stay in the same room.

So if power isn't a real issue with most mid priced solid state receivers, what other factors are there? Well in my non-technical view, it's a nice even tonal quality I'm looking for. Smooth sounding, not harsh or grating on my ears, and a wide frequency response, with excellent detail, particularly in the mid band. I don't want the highs to pierce through my skull, and I really hate boomy bass - I like extended tuneful bass that I can feel through the seat of my pants.

If you find an amp that sounds like that to you, or what ever sound you like, on your particular Klipsch speakers, then you may very well have a good match. The important part is being able to obtain the sound YOU like from your speakers.

BTW, I like the new mid priced Yamaha receivers RX-1400 and the

RX-2400. They sound great with Klipsch loudspeakers. I haven't heard the new Pioneer's yet. They've had some good raps by the media.

----------------

On 10/5/2004 6:59:32 PM DeanG wrote:

I was just curious is anyone has heard, or played with the Sony HT receivers with the digital switching power supplies?

----------------

Not extensively, Dean. Just yesterday, I went for a long drive to Sydney to visit relatives (it's that time of year!). While there I sneaked away from the blood letting and dropped in to a local hi-fi store. They had the new Sony range on display. All emblazoned with the 'S-Master' badging. I briefly heard the 7 channel Sony STRDA5000ES rated at 170watts per channel, featuring mosfet transistors, component video switching, 'high energy power supply', high strength chassis. The dealers were playing this machine through an Energy 5.1 speaker system. Very ordinary sound from this speaker system (it's definitely a budget speaker system) and certainly didn't do justice to the receiver. So I can't say how the Sony would sound with a more high end system at this stage.

The build quality, however, seemed outstanding. It would seem Sony are aiming this machine at the top end of the market with representatives like Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer as the primary targets. But all these machines are retailing for much more money. In Australia Sony are asking $2900 retail. So in US dollars that would be around the $1500 mark.

----------------

On 10/6/2004 7:21:32 AM marksdad wrote:

you said klipsch seemed bright to your ears, if this is so than you need to stay away from onkyo and yamaha, those 2 can become very tiring very qhickly, they are definatly bright as compared to hk or denon, especially the yammy it will make your ears bleed
12.gif

----------------

I have heard this said repeatedly, but I gotta tell ya, I've got a new Yammie, and BELIEVE ME, it is FINE on HORNS. It made my Denon seem FAT and DIRTY sounding (re: lots'0'distortion) by comparison. The Yammie is very clean sounding - VERY CLEAN, precise and pleasant (good FM reception, too). I sold the Denon and replaced it with the much less-expensive Yamaha.

I am 100% happy with mine.

DM

We all persive sounds different,Yamaha and Onkyo (several of which I've owned)were way bright,very uncomfortable to my ears long term.Hk and Denon(several of which I've owned)were both acceptable,imho.

Thank you all for your opinions and guidance. I realize the $500 budget made it quite difficult. I did get some concurrance on some of the recievers that I had auditioned as to their matching with my Klipsch. I hope I don't frustrate or annoy anyone by reporting that I have decided on a Pioneer. This is basis many comments, not only here, but in other forums, that alledged the Pioneer was "warmer". Quite frankly, I listened to a few brands with the same speakers and either because my ear is not refined enough or I'm actually deaf, I could not hear much difference. That is possibly due to the fact they were all pretty much in the same price range. Possibly more variation in tone would have been more distinguishable as brands increase in price. In any case, I bought a Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K, their newest model in my price range, without having actually heard it!! I ordered it from an online merchant...ordered it on a Tuesday had it by Friday, excellent service, it was as advertised. The price was sweet, too, reasonably within my price range. The extra dollars will go to buying that second rear surround. Maybe when I get this all hooked up I can come back and give my opinion on the 1014TX-K. On the other hand, seeing as I would be comparing my Pioneer/Klipsh combo to a 20 year old Technics system, it might be a foregone conclusion that I like my new stuff better. 9.gif

----------------

On 10/10/2004 3:36:37 AM kkray wrote:

How about HK AVR230?

----------------

I'd say thats a pretty good match,I had a 630 and it was.I also had a Pioneer 55txi hooked up for about an hour,it was not even in the running hooked to Klipsch.