Here's one fer ya m00n

Tom Adams

My wife & I had a meeting with my Oncologist and he tells the following joke (you'll have to visualize):

Doc: (Holding up his index finger and wiggling from side-to-side) What is this?

Us: UhhhhI dunno.

Doc: It's a prostate exam.

Doc: (Holding up his index & middle finger and wiggling them from side-to-side) What is this?

Us: Uhhhh.I dunno.

Doc: It's a second opinion.

9.gif

Tom

Awwww hell guys - I've got prostate cancer. It's miniscule, but it's there. And it's very curable. Probably start my radiation treatment next Monday. 5 weeks (every day) of radiation followed by seeding of the prostate (radioactive pellets inserted into the prostate at specific locations). I asked my Oncologist (the man has got a sense of humor that is as sick as mine) if it was true the radioactive seeds would make my poop glow? He said, "Only at night!"

For the record - I did not post this joke in order for me to talk about/mention my prostate problem. 3.gif

Let's get back to jokes. 9.gif

Tom

Reminds me of the doctor I used for my first prostate exam Tom. In the exam room the doctor says 'drop your drawers and bend over the table' as he slipped on his gloves. Standing behind me he rests his left hand on my left shoulder and says 'you may feel a bit of discomfort'. YEOW! I did! 'You got two fingers in there Doc' I say with half a smile. 'I'll be finished in just a moment he says' as I feel him rest his right hand on my right shoulder.

Keith

----------------

On 10/12/2004 7:54:16 PM T2K wrote:

Reminds me of the doctor I used for my first prostate exam Tom. In the exam room the doctor says 'drop your drawers and bend over the table' as he slipped on his gloves. Standing behind me he rests his left hand on my left shoulder and says 'you may feel a bit of discomfort'. YEOW! I did! 'You got two fingers in there Doc' I say with half a smile. 'I'll be finished in just a moment he says' as I feel him rest his right hand on my right shoulder.

Keith

----------------

As a pleasing grin sets in over Keith's face. 9.gif

Seriously though, isn't age 40 about the time when you're supposed to go in for these exams?

You can certainly have it done that early, but I think the general rule of thumb is 45 for your first exam and the next one (assuming the first is ok) at 50.

And in case some of you old farts care or don't know....while the digital exam (nice pleasant term for having a finger shoved up your as*, eh?) may show no signs of a prostate problem (as is my case), the real test is the PSA (prostate specific antigen) test. The PSA is a blood test and the rule of thumb with it is that your PSA should be approximately the same as your age - i.e. if you're 50, your PSA should be 5. In my case I'm 48 and my PSA was 5.8 which wasn't overly high, but still indicated that further investigation was warranted.

Call me an alarmist, but I would highly recommend that those of you reading this, who are in your mid forties, to have a PSA test done. My Oncologist told me that 15 or so years ago it would be rare to see a guy 45-48 with prostate cancer. But it's becoming more common. He also said that prostate problems in men in their mid to late 50's is on a significant rise. I don't remember the exact percentage he cited, but it was alarming.

This completes my public service message. 1.gif

Tom

In his mid-sixties my father-in-law insisted that something was wrong while visiting his physician. After a year or so of reasurrences from his doctor that he was healthy as a mule, mt father-in-law decided to get a second opinion.

He was admitted that day and scheduled for surgery. He tolerated the treatment for 5 years before giving up. I've never met a man that wanted to live more than he. He died in 1995 at the age of 69. I miss him.

Tom gives good advice. Maybe a little humor will help with the unpleasantness involved. The PSA test was not covered by my insurance provider.

Good luck to you Tom. I hope for the best for you.

Keith

what a sick group of people....I love it...you magnificent bastards....Tom, love the positive attitude, keep it right there.....seriously, I look like an idiot right now sitting in my office alone laughing as I read through this post....I'm Art, and moon approved this post....

Ok - you guys have forced my hand. 2.gif

During the consulation with my Oncologist Doc, he mentions that the radiation can cause the testicles to uh, go to sleep, so to speak. Since the prostate is part of the reproduction system as is a man's "package" and testosterone, they want to ensure that the testicles and prostate are (ahem) exercised regularly. So after this explanation, he says to the wife & I, "During your treatment period, I want you to at least double the amount of sex you typically have each week." My wife jumps out of her chair, her arms reach up towards the sky and she says, "THANK YOU JESUS!" 6.gif9.gif

The Doc busts out laughing and says, "I like her. Most wives groan or pass out when I tell them this."

You think that's funny. You should have been there when he was talking about implants!6.gif

Tom

----------------

On 10/14/2004 10:18:06 AM fini wrote:

Hey, since a lot of us fall into that age range, how about another Klipsch get-together in Indy? Does Trey have any latex gloves? We will forego the group photo, I think...
6.gif

----------------

or how about this fini... everyone could line up in single file and check the guy in front of them, then everyone could turn around and get an instantaneous second opinion!15.gif

Keith