Red Sox-Yankees

dgb

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 10/21/2004 9:17:05 AM scott0527 wrote:

Just goes to show you, you only need to spend 128 million on your payroll to win the pennant.

----------------

Oh what? And the Yanks haven't spent major bank on their players?

And a Good Day to You:

I had a migraine last night. Missed most of the game.

Before anyone feels bad about that, other than the 8th and 9th innings the times I did wake up were the 2 when (Centerfield is playing Right NOW!) the Yankees were threatening.

I went back to sleep. Figured that was better - a superstition.

Noting my post of yesterday, I found it ironic that Boston watched "Miracle" before the baseball game and one of the things that was mentioned as great upsets was Cassius Clay (Muhammed Ali) beating Sonny Liston.

My wife had been making comments when the Yanks would go up in previous games or about how scruffy the Red Sox looked. Mocked Damon about cutting his toenails in the dugout. Last night when I was awake or the last 2 innings, she was strangely silent. Her whole family are diehard Yankee fans. No disrespect to the Yankee fans.

This year one of her Sisters was rooting for Boston as their Son is going to Boston University. My wife was very aggravated about that.

The curse is lifted, never to fall on another team again, it is now a part of the past. The Yankees ARE human. We witnessed a historic sports point as Boston came back from being down 3 - 0 only to win the next 4 and the Pennant.

We have been lucky enough to see that game, Gretzky, Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, the 61 home run record broken, Tiger Woods. And I was lucky enough to watch Kofax pitch on TV his perfect game.

At my age, I go with my sentimental favorites as remembered from my childhood -

GGGGOOOOOO SSSSTT.. LLOOOOUUUUIISSS

dodger3.gif

Thank you m00n.

Fer crying out loud, the Yankee's payroll over the last several years makes that 128 million look like chump change. Hell, even Atlanta can't hang with the cake the Yankees pay out.

Personally, I'm glad to see Boston take it. Went to be last night just after they put Pedro in thinking, "Ho - boy...I can't stand to watch this anymore". The once silent crowd got rowdy and the momentum seemed to be turning. Thank ged Boston hung in there.

Tom

----------------

On 10/21/2004 10:18:54 AM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 10/21/2004 9:17:05 AM scott0527 wrote:

Just goes to show you, you only need to spend 128 million on your payroll to win the pennant.

----------------

Oh what? And the Yanks haven't spent major bank on their players?

----------------

That's my point... you don't need to spend 186 million(Yankees), ONLY 128 million will do it! The Yanks have the highest payroll, Boston second highest in the league.

A couple of points:

1) The "curse of the bambino" means they don't win the World series, (like when they were 1 strike away in 1986) not the penant. Ye gads man! Everyone knows that.

2) The Yankees may now be suffering from the "curse of Clemens". Come to think of it, the Red Sox may also be suffering from that one.

3) George gotta buy some pitchers.

----------------

On 10/21/2004 1:44:47 PM stan krajewski wrote:

1) The "curse of the bambino" means they don't win the World series, (like when they were 1 strike away in 1986) not the penant. Ye gads man! Everyone knows that.

----------------

You stole my thunder, but you're exactly right. All these news outlets saying that the curse has been broken, they're just wrong.

Just for fun, I'd like to see the 'Stro's win their pennant, then have the Sox lose the series in a heartbreaker 6th or 7th game...and have Clemens factor in it somehow too. Keep the curse going!

----------------

On 10/21/2004 1:44:47 PM stan krajewski wrote:

----------------

I stand corrected. I thought it was the penant.

The Sox and Cards have a history too. The Cards beat the Red Sox in Game 7 of the 1946 W.S. when Enos Slaughter scored from 1st base on a single, when Johnny Peskey double clutched a relay throw. The run put the Cards up by 1 run in the 8th and they went on to win the series. In 1967 Bob Gibson just kicked Boston's *** in Games 1,4 and 7. So there is some payback in this one. Plus Tim McCarver played on that 67 Cards team, so god knows how many Bob Gibson stories we'll be "treated" too. I certainly hope someone reminds Tim he only hit .125 (3-24) in the series.