Whole new system with old Heresy

bigmrs

I am in the market for a completly new system, including a 61" DLP TV and stereo system (Denon, Yamaha, Sony??). I have an older pair of Heresy floor speakers and I want to work with these as the front speakers in the surround system. I am thinking of buying a pair a RB75's for the rear channels and a RC7 for the center and a RW12 sub. Any problems with mixing and matching. I have a LARGE room with 20' vaulted ceiling that I am trying to fill with alot a sound. Help me. I'm so lost and lonely and don't belive anything the sales people tell me. The best place in town doesn't even carry Klipsch anymore. Be gentle with me. It is the first time for me on the forum.

Thanks

Some people have reported not being happy mixing Heritage and Reference speakers but I have never tried myself (I am facing the same problem). You could try finding a bunch of Heresy's on ebay and using those all around. If you found 2 pairs, you could have a sweet-sounding 6.1 system with perfect timbre match.

As for the sub, matching brands is not as important because the sound doesn't need to match at voice frequencies. There are many threads you can consult on the "Powered Subwoofer" section of the forum.

Hope this helps,

Peter

Others will disagree, but I do not find it terribly distracting mixing heritage and reference. I have Cornwall mains, RF7 center, RB3 surrounds. Firstly, many of use have to make do with what we have for economic or aesthetic reasons. There is a slight timbre difference, which will affect sounds swooping around the soundstage in HT uses. However, if you LOVE your Klipsch heritage series like I do, you will not want to do without them for 2ch use. If you use HT more than 50% or are more critical of your theatre reproduction than stereo 'heritage' sound, I might recommend changing to Reference for your mains when you can.

First, welcome to the forum. I agree with Coulterphoto1. Obviously, in the "perfect world," we would all have the timbre-matched fronts (for HT) and a killer 2-channel setup. However, sometimes I think we obsess too much over this timbre-matching thing, just for the sake of Home Theater when most scenes in a movie just have dialogue coming out of the center, and the mains supplementing effects. When the exception of the occasional "fly-by" across all three speakers, left to right. One of my HT systems is perfectly matched, timbre-wise, and the other (at times) is not. If you constantly listen for it (and obsess over it), then mixing and matching a front probably is not for you. However, if you relax and don't sweat it, you would probably be fine.

And yes, of course, others disagree. But, if I were you, keep your Heresys and supplement with the best center you can. Let me repeat that. Ignore the salespeople and keep your Heritage.

I can attest to the fact that the RC-7 is an excellent center, and the RB-75s make incredible surrounds. Having heard a number of Heresys, the Reference sevens do not really timbre-match, but so what?

Look on the bright side (no pun intended)....at least you get to keep your Heritage and add HT to boot.

On the other hand, Peter makes a good point. All Heresys around would make the preferred 5.1 setup. But, that depends if you want to go through hunting and finding additional Heresys or incorporate new Reference into the mix.

Carl.

I wrote:

Some people have reported
not
being happy mixing Heritage and Reference speakers but I have never tried myself (I am facing the same problem). You could try finding a bunch of Heresy's on ebay and using those all around. If you found 2 pairs, you could have a sweet-sounding 6.1 system with perfect timbre match.

And other have siad mixing won't be so bad. I'm glad to hear it, but keep in mind a pair of Heresy's off ebay will be less expensive than a single RC-7.

I face the same problem. I'm using the TV as center speaker between La Scala's. A few days ago, I decided to try toeing-in the La Scala's, and having done that I feel I don't lose much by turning off the center channel on the receiver altogether (e.g. phantom mode). My options for when I eventually get a center speaker next winter/spring are:

- new Reference RC-35

- new Reference RC-7

- new Synergy C3 (anyone heard it?)

- pair of heresy's off ebay (and use both of them as center channel)

- pair of KG-4.2 off ebay (and use both of them as center channel)

Any other suggestions? Anothe La Scala is just too big. I'm left with exactly 36 inches between my 52" 4x3 projection TV and the ceiling...

Peter

Peter:

Its a tough call. Obviously, the Heresy would voice-match your La Scalas much better than a Reference center, and yes, you can probably get two of them for less than one RC-7. However, I like the crossover points for HF and MF much better for HT on the RC-7 (versus the Heresy). That and the tractix horn, while some may not prefer it for music (not my opinion), does really well for dialogue with the RC-7. The RC-7 is just an excellent center, especially with its "2.5" setup.

Between the RC-7 and the RC-35 is no contest (I own both). I would go with the RC-7 hands down.

Cannot speak to the new Synergy.

I would personally opt for the RC-7 and not sweat the difference in timbre. Just play your LaScalas in two-channel for music, and the all speakers for HT, and most will not really notice (unless they live here, that is).

Its funny that this thread was started at this time. CaptnBob, Sheltie Dave, and I were just listening to some vintage equip in St. Louis yesterday when my friend (who is really not into audio) said he really did not care if the front three (or all five) speakers matched, he just wanted a 5.1 assembled (for only HT) from some of the "stuff" we recently stumbled across. To which I made the point that sometimes we get too obsessed with timbre-matching, for its own sake.

Depends on your leaning and what is important to you. Many from HT would scream bloody murder about a lack of timbre-matching while some from 2-channel ----not so much.

Of course, I could be wrong. We need Heresy owners who use one as a HT center to weigh in.

Carl.

Peter:

Its a tough call.

Yeah. Didn't mean to hick jack the thread either, but I'm sure the discussion is relevant.

Obviously, the Heresy would voice-match your La Scalas much better than a Reference center, and yes, you can probably get two of them for less than one RC-7. However, I like the crossover points for HF and MF much better for HT on the RC-7 (versus the Heresy). That and the tractix horn, while some may not prefer it for music (not my opinion), does really well for dialogue with the RC-7. The RC-7 is just an excellent center, especially with its "2.5" setup.

Between the RC-7 and the RC-35 is no contest (I own both). I would go with the RC-7 hands down.

Well, that's good to know. It's an expensive speaker though. It'll cost more than I paid for the pair of La Scala's over 20 years ago. ;-)

Cannot speak to the new Synergy.

Never considered them before, but the C1 seems pretty big and heavy. Good sign?

I would personally opt for the RC-7 and not sweat the difference in timbre. Just play your LaScalas in two-channel for music, and the all speakers for HT, and most will not really notice (unless they live here, that is).

Its funny that this thread was started at this time. CaptnBob, Sheltie Dave, and I were just listening to some vintage equip in St. Louis yesterday when my friend (who is really not into audio) said he really did not care if the front three (or all five) speakers matched, he just wanted a 5.1 assembled (for only HT) from some of the "stuff" we recently stumbled across. To which I made the point that sometimes we get too obsessed with timbre-matching, for its own sake.

Depends on your leaning and what is important to you. Many from HT would scream bloody murder about a lack of timbre-matching while some from 2-channel ----not so much.

Seems reasonable to me. I don't mind the TV's sound all that much as a center, and it sound a lot brighter! But I can hear dialog well...

Of course, I could be wrong. We need Heresy owners who use one as a HT center to weigh in.

Yes, that would be nice.

Thanks Carl!

Carl.

I have done a Heritage/Reference mix and while it does not sound bad it does have a very noticeable timbre mismatch. I used La Scala's up front and a Reference center, it did not keep up with the La Scala's and was noticeably different in tonal quality. I have said this before to me the Reference announced their location when they were active. By this I mean when sound moved say across my front array you would notice it leave the LS and go to the RC and then transit to the other LS. I now have Heritage all around and the sound to me is seamless. If you want to use Heresy mains then I would recommend going with Heresys all the way around. Or if you want RB 75s then go with them all the way around and use your Heresys in a two channel rig or some thing. Either way by matching you front and rear arrays as closely as possible you will achieve the best sound. If you really want to notice this play a multichannel music source in a mixed set up. IMO you cannot go wrong by matching you system by keeping within the same line of loudspeakers.

----------------

On 10/25/2004 11:33:00 PM J.4knee wrote:

I have done a Heritage/Reference mix and while it does not sound bad it does have a very noticeable timbre mismatch. I used La Scala's up front and a Reference center, it did not keep up with the La Scala's and was noticeably different in tonal quality.

This is why if you add Reference centre HT to Heritage (Khorns,Corns,Heresy) you MUST get the RC7 because it is the only Reference centre speaker manly enough to keep up, both in efficiency and frequency response. There WILL be a noticeble timbre difference, just depends on how much perfection you want and $$$ to shell out. Remember when buying center channel speaker, YOU NEED ONLY ONE and it is the most critical speaker in a HT setup.

Like Dad said (when talking about Craftsman tools) get the best, you'll never be sorry.

Michael

When I was running a 5.1 system it was 2 Corns on the front with a Academy center and Heresy's in the back. It sounded ok but the Academy would jump out at you at times. So I sold of the Academy and bought a pair of vert. Corns one for the center and one for the center rear. My 50" Sony lcd sits over the center Corn. The sound no longer sounded ok but came alive. The sound in the front didn't jump out at you. The sound is just great. Going to 6.1 is also worth the up grade. So you would be better buying 2 sets of Heresy's for a 6.1, or if you have the room up grade to a set of Cornwall's or LaScala's. I do love my Corns I have owned them for 20 years, I bought them new. You could also change over to one of Klipsch new lines and put the Heresy's on ebay. But for my money I would run 6 Heresy's or 2 Cornwall's and 4 Heresy's. Just my 2 cents.

If you are going to do it, do it right the first time and not half ***. Go with one series of Klipsch speakers or the other DO not mix and match, don't get into the mind set that close enough will do! If you like the Heresy's sound and have been pleased with them buy 4 more, or 2 more and a pair of Cornwalls. An all Klipsch Heritage HT just plain kicks *** and for what it will cost you it just simply cannot be beat for the investment - period!

I got all the speakers listed below minus the subwoofers for $3625 total, add the subwoofers and it comes to $4475. All were purchased used, but they perform flawlessly. Take that money and go out and try to buy something new today to top it - good luck! This just goes to show the cost vs. performance of the Heritage speakers.

The Reference series are very nice too but are obviously going to require a larger financial commitment from you unless someone gives you a killer deal. My brother in law just got a new pair of RF-7's and an RC-7 from a brick and mortar authorized dealer in cherry for $1500 plus tax. It can be done.

Here is my solution for a matching center: Rf-3II bass section K-700/K-55 and a K-77 crossed over by an E-2 network at 700Hz:

center8.jpg

The horns are mounted in a craft box from Wally World and the E-2 xover is mounted to the back of the RPT.

I have a Lascala waiting in the wings whenever I get a projector. Then I will have Khorn mains, Lascala center and Heresy rears. The Khorns and Lascala will have ALK networks and the E-2 networks have been gone through already. All I need is the funds to build my addition.15.gif

Alms for the poor?10.gif

Rick

post-12829-13819259030928_thumb.jpg

I am not convinced that center and rears need to match the voicing of the mains.

I have a "mixed" bag of corner horns and cones in my 5-way, the center and rears being KEF, which is about as far from horns as one can get...

I have not noticed any "timbral" differences for DVD multi-channel playback. I think that that is a red herring foisted upon the unwary by salesmen interested in selling a boatload of speakers of the same brand for maximum commision points. This is assuming that aesthetic concerns are not of major importance, of course.

If carefully balanced with the front channels, the "sound" will traverse across the front from left to right seemlessly regardless of the supposed mismatch. The center is a "fill" - it is mainly dialog so how much response is required for that? For centers and rears, efficiency, dispersion and in particular center frequency response is not particularily important. It only needs to "fill in" for the front mains. It does not fully occupy a single channel to the exclusion of others. Soundtracks and multi-channel music is rarely (if ever) a discrete channel-by-channel affair, that is, no cross over between the channels at all.

Spending alot of money to "match" speakers all the way around is simply a waste IMO.

This is D-Man and I approved this message.9.gif

DM 2.gif

DMan, the other speakers are anchored to the "center" and not vice versa. Your speaker not needing to match logic is like my thinking about the waste of money on silver interconnects. Everyone thinks and hears differently and bottom line is as long as it sounds good to you that is all that really matters.

"Spending alot of money to "match" speakers all the way around is simply a waste IMO."

D-Man I thought that way once too. Obviously if you are satisfied with your sound then all is good, but after doing the matching I consider every penny spent a very "sound" investment. You cannot compare the sound of a mismatch to a well matched system it is seamless. To me the mismatch always showed itself. I had other folks visit who thought the sound was great, but I could hear the differnce. Now with a Heritage match all the way around I hear the effects of the soundtrack but cannot trace it like I could before. The speaker to speaker transition is matched to what you see and feel and not announced. I don't know any better way to word this other than it is seamless.