Khorn Bass

Rudy81

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 12/8/2004 6:22:18 PM D0N wrote:

everyones gonna say you gotta seal em into the corners... or it's a different kind of bass that you're just not used to... or it's a more realistic type of bass and you should be happy to have it that way...

That's crap. The Khorns bass sucks. Plain and simple. I had cornwalls prior to my khorns and the CWs blew the khonrs away in bass. Heck, even my heresys had better bass than my khorns.

I don't care how perfectly you seal your khorns... the bass is still gonna suck compared to many other klipsch and most other high end speakers.

Why can't we just admit that? Oh wait... we own these speakers! They can't suck,,, can they?
9.gif

----------------

If you're not getting good bass out of your K-horns, there is something definitely wrong somewhere. I own Khorns, La Scalas, Belle, Chorus II's, and have owned Cornwalls. They all produce some mighty fine bass, but the Khorns are freaking incredible.

Experience thus far indicates an ideal listening room to be in the ratio of 8 to 5, approximately. Thus a room 15 by 24 would be in the right proportion. If one likes pipe organ with deep bass as part of his listening repertoire, a room diagonal of 34 feet or more would be desirable, which fixes the room dimensions at 18 bt 29 feet. Practically any size from 12 by 19 up will sound good. Personally, I like a ceiling height 5/8 of the room width. I'd hate to have to prove this to be a best value.

Paul W. Klipsch

January 2, 1958

My two cents worth: In my room, in my system Lascala's kicked the K-horns patootie. I spent a lot of time on the K's and didn't want that to happen but it did and it made me sick but it happened. My room sucks and there is only one place for the speakers and that is the problem. The corners are ok but the speakers are too close and the listening space too far away. Ah well, when I move there will be a better listening envirement. Won't buy the house unless.1.gif

By the way, the K's are in a friends house now and they sound fantastic! Damnit! Randy

Oh, yeah?! Well, mine TOTALLY suck!

All my friends agree that they suck. They undeniably and loudly suck to such a degree that if they sucked anymore, they could blow. I was listening to them suck just last night, and I wasn't disappointed. They completely suck.

DM2.gif

Rudy 81,

You must have had a really big leak. In my home each klipschorn has a leak of about a quarter inch at the front of one side. This is because the corner angle is not perfect 90°. My klipschorns have no rubber seal. And i have no lack of bass, absolutly not.

Bernd

----------------

On 12/10/2004 5:08:09 AM BerndH wrote:

Rudy 81,

You must have had a really big leak. In my home each klipschorn has a leak of about a quarter inch at the front of one side. This is because the corner angle is not perfect 90°. My klipschorns have no rubber seal. And i have no lack of bass, absolutly not.

Bernd

----------------

There were several things that influenced the poor bass response at my last location. First, the room was not conducive to good sound, two very large openings, one behind the Khorns, and one on one side. Second, there were no seals to speak of at the tail section or the sides.

The new location has a much better room for acoustics and I took time to make sure the new seals I added were sealing against the walls.

There is certainly no lack of bass now. The more I listen to them, the more I like their bass response. When I have time, I will run a bass frequency test disk and compare them to the La Scalas and Belles.

I just finished running the AVIA home theater test dvd and it contains a low frequency sweep for each speaker. The Khorns do better in the lower ranges of the sweep, the center La Scala and the side Belles did ok, but could not match the room filling bass of the Khorns. I am very pleased with the result of properly sealing the tail and top of the bass bin.

However, during the sweep, it becomes crealy evident the effect the room has on frequency response. You can easily hear the nulls and reinforcements as the sweep runs.

This particular room (not designed for my HT, but it will do for now)has some large limitations and does not produce even a relatively flat freq. response.

When I get ready to build my house, I will have to do some real in-depth research into proper room acoustics and design. I have read extensively on room effects and this low freq. sweep let me hear the effect the room has on the set up.

I will hold off on treating this room since this is only a temporary living arrangement until I get my house built. Now that will have all the bells and whistles!!!

I currently have a couple of bass traps and will need a few high frequency absorbers, but that will most likely be the limit of my work on that room.

My next project is to get the new Z12000 mounted and make the component cables for it. Oh, yeah, the screen.

One crisis at a time. At least I can listen to music while I work.

----------------

On 12/8/2004 7:12:38 PM D0N wrote:

there was obviously a problem a day or two ago... now all of a sudden there isn't?

Why can't we just admit the khorn bass sucks?
----------------

Well, what you need is more power! Khorns really need about 800W to open up. Red walls help, but can only do so much.2.gif