Tubes for Jolida JD100A

arthurs

Hey guys, new to tube equipment of any kind here and wanting to experiment with my new Jolida CDP. I currently have ElectroHarmonix 12AX7A's and am wanting to get a little more detail on the top end. The lows and mids are beautiful with these, but I seem to be missing a little sparkle on cymbals and the like. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The 12AX7AEH is a sensational tube. A personal favourite. A don't know whether tube rolling would reveal any significant improvement. You should consider also, that the quality of the output transformer has a significant bearing on absolute frequency response. In saying that, I believe Jolida source their transformers from Germany and are of good quality.

• 2 years later...

Shameless bump from the past...... I apparently need new tubes for the Jolida CDP. I'm seeing some threads on the net recommending EH 12ax7, and some threads saying no. :) Was hopeing to buy tonight. I had/have Bugle Boys in there and fear going downhill in sound quality. Would anyone be able to say how the BB's compare to the EH? Perhaps I should just stick with the BB's though I've no clue if that was the best thing in the first place. I guess I want lots of detail & clarity but also killer bass. :)

Was wondering what everyone is running these days in it? And why? TIA

I have the Jolida JD100 and I much prefer the 5751 Tubes over the 12AX7s. The 5751s have less gain than the 12AX7 and have a lower 'noise floor' with my Khorns.

I have been running 5751 Black plates for 2 years now and have never looked back.

This was posted at the Audio Asylum quite a few years ago and is what initially got me 'turned on' to 5751s

12AX7 Tube comparisions

I had a set of Bugle Boys in mine and when the player got spanked in comparison tests with other players I installed a pair of EH. It was an improvement. I can't explain because you'd expect the opposite. I suspect I just had a tired set of Bugle Boys from yesteryear The EH sound nice and I haven't experimented beyond those yet. I have JJs and Tung Sols. Haven't tried them. The 5751s sound interesting, and I heard Groove tubes (mullard copies) are good as well. Haven't tried those either.

Cut-Throat - Thanks for that Link!

Mark - Yea, I've no clue how old the BB's were when I bought the unit. So IDK, but Craig said one was iffy when he tested it. All I know is I also got a pair of Telefunkens and they sounded bad to me in the Jolida. Just flat and more like my bad old SS CDP. I put them in the VRDs and kept the BB's in the Jolida.

The Underwood level 1 mod basically recaps the analog board, just like recapping an old vintage amp. It recommends metalized film and film and foil caps which undoubtedly will open up the sound a lot. Level 1 mod also recaps the power supply with Black Gate electrolytics creating a beefier power supply for supposedly bigger tighter bass. There are some misc. resistor and diode changes as well. Plus some other stuff I consider less important like power cord and RCA jack replacements, sheets of dynamat, etc. All good stuff I guess. The components will make the most difference though.

The level 2 mod recommends EH gold pin tubes. That's why I got them. Like I said, I stopped right there for now. (Mark uses these in the PCATs)

I'm guessing but I would expect your player to be more sensitive to different tube types than a stock player.

I can't wait to upgrade mine and hear the difference.

I don't mean to make it sound like it is a bad player as stock.....not at all. I just expected way more for the money....and bigger differences in performance from the less expensive players.

Lisa, as you know, I've tried various tubes in my level 1 modded Jolida, and I thought that most Amperex, including the BBs, had a better midrange than the EH!

That being said, my prior research of raved tubes for the Jolida led me to the Mullard CV4004s, and they've been fantastic for over two years. When this pair goes, I will be buying another. Mullard may not the best tubes for some applications, but that particular tube is a winner in a modded version of the JD100.

I've received enough feedback from listeners to my system as well as my own ears telling me that a modded level one player with the right tubes is my ending point for many years to come. Oh, and course, it doesn't hurt to have it coupled with a Peach and VRDs either.

Carl.

Tricky business. The Mullards are around $240 for 2 and I wouldn't have a clue if I would like it. :) A possible painful crapshoot. I think (in 'my' brain) that if one has a brighter tube in one location, unless one was really into 'bright', then.... to balance it out... nevermind. :) Well, I have the EI in the Peach and a Telefunken in the VRD..... I had Bugle Boys in the Jolida but those are failing/failed. Maybe I should get them again and another type because I'd get the bonus of trying them in the VRDs as well.

Where are you guys getting your fancy old tubes?

meagain

Maybe new anything will sound better than used old and worn of what is in there now.

For example, aside from the 240 a pair price for mullard's, you could spend 80 a pair for JAN Philips 12AX7WA's or 10 a pair for National 12AX7's, and all would probally sound better than used old worn tubes.

I took a look at the link, and while Brimar tupes were introduced on the test list, he actually did not say much about Brimar tubes.  Typically these reviews are slanted in the direction of what ever tube the author has the most stock in.

And then one has to factor in the gear the tubes are in. It's my understanding what one tube sounds like in one amp, might be totally different in another. And in the case of Jolida cdp tube reviews - what pre-amp/amp are they running that skews/colors things? The search engine here makes things really tough also. Buying tubes seems to be an "eeny meeny miney moe" type of deal.

Mostly, perhaps I should create a short list of honest, good dealers that test throughly/properly. I've only used Triode Electronics and Doug's Tubes. Very happy with the service from Doug's tubes, but he (like others) doesn't have everything available all the time. Tricky.

Speaker - where do you get yours?

"Speaker - where do you get yours? "

The ones I use in my main equipment I buy from the equipment manufacture.  I'm paying a little more, but thats the cost of letting the manufacture of my equipment do the QA process.

Cut-Throat thanks.... I'm seeing alot of 'triple mica black plate' recommendations as well. Would you be able to steer me towards where I can find these puppies at? If the prices aren't crazy, I may want to try these 5751 and maybe get some 12ax7 Amperex (maybe BB). Dougs Tubes seems to have a JAN GE 5751, but it looks grey. IDK. I'm 'tube-stupid'.

Mark - here's a quickie thread re the 5751: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1136760481&openflup&10&4#10 (sorry for the cut/paste)

I'm giving up. It's too maddening. Can't find most of these tubes and when I do, they're $200-300 a pair. I'll just get the cheap EH 12ax7's and figure it out later. I'm sad about my bugle boy being 1/2 messed up as I see those are not cheap. Most of the places I see them at are sold out. Can't even find them.

Mark - If you ever find the Jolida holy grail, give me a holler? I'm too 'tube stupid' to figure it out.

I have 4 new JAN Philips 5751's which are avail.

I paid 30 bucks each from a local tube store.

On the net, they go as cheap as 20 bucks each.

If anyone is intrested, 15 bucks each for starters.

Yes, I learned my lesson about buying from small tube re-sellers.

I also have 2 JAN Philips 12AX7WA's, new, which I paid 40 bucks each for, also avail, for 20 each.

I'm giving up. It's too maddening. Can't find most of these tubes and when I do, they're $200-300 a pair. I'll just get the cheap EH 12ax7's and figure it out later. I'm sad about my bugle boy being 1/2 messed up as I see those are not cheap. Most of the places I see them at are sold out. Can't even find them.

Mark - If you ever find the Jolida holy grail, give me a holler? I'm too 'tube stupid' to figure it out.

I would consider these at $75 a pair to be the best you can buy.

GE Black Plate 5751