Excellent Sound Quality CDs

boomac

I haven't heard any Acoustic Alchemy CDs that aren't of great quality. I sometimes play AArt to show off my system.

Today I picked up the 1994 CD by Blue's Travelers, "Four" at a pawn shop for $2. The first cut (also their biggest hit) "Runaround" is a great recording. Somehow the rest of the CD isn't quite as good. I don't know why that happens sometimes but it does. That cut is certainly good enough to show off the system.

it is a good question, one that comes up here often enough, so I wrote a series on Test CDS for EnjoyTheMusic.com, but I have to say the best way to impress someone else with your home movie and music reproduction system is to play THEIR music for them. Play the music they love, when they hear it through your system, they will either like the sound or shrug and go back to their chintzy Bose system

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/music/1004/testdiscs.htm

(DMP - high quality jazz recordings)3.gif

Guest Anonymous

mfsl, dcc, analogue productions, sacd, dvd-a, hdcd, Milin Lp's japanese pressings

SACD-

Bowie-Ziggy Stardust

Steely Dan-Gaucho

all Patricia Barber

Diana Krall

there are a lot

DVD-A

Door-L A Woman

Clapton 461 Ocean Blvd

Fleetwood Mac

Dead-American beauty

Dead-Workingmans dead

There are a lot here too

Mini Lp

Black Sabbath-All

Zeppelin-All

Tull-All

So frickin many, my head is spinning, so is my $$$

MFSL

Traffic-Low Spark

Joni Mitchell-Court and spark

Steve Miller-Fly like an Eagle

Pink Floyd-The wall

Pink Floyd-meddle

Moody Blues-all

ELP

Again, Just tons

Dcc

Eagles-greatest hits

Cars-greatest hits

Tull-aqualung

if you get the messege, my digital sounds better than any vinyl I have ever heard. I love my digital. The scary thing is the future of music will be generated all by our computers6.gif6.gif

3.gif9.gif

Boz Scaggs, Come On Home, 1997.

A suprisingly good blues CD with terrific sound quality.

Give the credit to the studio engineer. The layering of the instruments is masterful, the lead vocal is well mixed with the instruments, the drums sound so real with a very solid low end, and they don't sound the same on all the songs.

My only complaint is that at high volume, sometimes Boz's voice grates just a little bit and makes me squint one eye. But that happens at live concerts too.

Greg

Marianne Faithful "Blazing Away"

Doug MacLeod "Come to Find"

Eagles "Hell Freezes Over"

Eva Cassidy "Lovebird"

etc. etc. For many many more suggetions of well-recorded cd's check out the Members Weekly Music Recommendations in Enteraintment/DVD's Music section of this forum. Almost all suggetions there are very well recorded.

Thanks, Boomac, for the recommendation! Borders didn't have 'Against the Grain' in stock, so I picked up "The Very Best of Acoustic Alchemy" on CD. Excellent recording quality, and excellent music. I listened to it in the truck on the way home, and then just threw it on my two channel system. Enjoying as I type this!

I've been a big fan of Acoustic Alchemy for years. All of their recordings are top notch. Saw 'em in concert a few years ago. I just finished listening to "Blue Chip" on the Khorns. WOW!! I can hardly wait for tubes...9.gif

BTW, the wife, who caught my cold, is right now listening to "Traversatta," by Grisman. Sweeeeet....

With some of those choices, I can see why so many of you say that a sub isn't required for 2 channel music listening!!

For those who enjoy electronic music with female vocals... two essential disks are Ultra-Obscene by- Breakbeat Era (Drum and Bass) and Mezzanine by- Massive Attack (Trip Hop... no relation to HipHop BTW).

A subwoofer is required for both those disks... 2.gif

Rob

Actually surprising, and I have even purchased at Safeway of all places, is the remasters by 20th Century Masters, The Milennium Collection, and quite a few artists...Deep Purple, Chuck Magione, Steppenwolf, Ray Charles, etc etc.

I must admit, I am impressed by the improvement in sound quality for a "CD", a good investment for a couple of bucks. I saw them in Audio Shops($$), but then SAFEWAY($)...go figure eh...so much for a Hoagie and choclate milk...10.gif

Guest Anonymous

Check out these new sacds

461 Ocean Blvd-Clapton

Layla-Derick and the Dominoes

Slowhand-Clapton

Madman-Elton John

Captain Fantastic-Elton John

Tumbleweed-Elton John

So far, pretty damn good2.gif3.gif