What's Your Favorite Hidden Gem?

thebes

You know, the song, album or artist, that the whole entire world should positively know about. Why don't they get it? Do I have to stake them to the ground and place headphones over their ears and force them to listen?

We've all got at least one of these-here's a couple of mine, so what are yours?

Willie and Lobo-flamenco jazz-anything

Eric Burdon, "Sky Pilot" or "Tobacco Road" or "We've got to Get out of This Place"

buckinghamnicks3.jpg

Technologically, it may not be the best sounding recording (ca 1973), but IMO it's still a gem music-wise. Their performance and style are timeless, and their pre-Fleetwood Mac songwriting abilities are what eventually put these two on the musical map!

Strictly my opinion, natch...

post-11084-13819259323022_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 11/13/2004 12:43:17 AM boomer9911 wrote:

Actually GM I have two versions of Chris Rea Best Of, European and North American. I'm a big fan, wish he would tour here, saw him in 94, in Frankfurt Germany.

My favorite tune missing off the North American version....Working On It....
10.gif

----------------

I have 3 of his lps and Road To Hell is my favorite by far. The title song kicks a$$ too.10.gif

lp's...I wish, can I cry now...lmao...he's a remarkable artist, the giver version of a Leonard Cohen IMO, love his music..10.gif

Thanks for the flashback JT1, Stevie is still a babe... 11.gif

I saw Fleetwood Mac in 77, only time, Rumours release tour..2.gif

same month as the Eagles Hotel California Tour actually, got to love the 70's.....10.gif

----------------

On 11/12/2004 7:20:39 PM thebes wrote:

You know, the song, album or artist, that the whole entire world should positively know about...

----------------

OK guys. Lets stay on track here. Thebes is looking for your hidden gems. Not your favorites of all time. I love Rumors and Hotel CA but those are not exactly in the hidden gem category.1.gifFor some younger members here, maybe so.

Here`s a band that I`ll bet only a hand full of people on this forum have heard of. A band called "Venice". If you like CSN you will love these guys. This is their first major release from `97. This record is so good. Not a rip off of CSN, just music with the same feel. One of their shows I attended, Crosby and his wife were a couple of tables in front of me.

Venice1.jpg

Described by David Crosby as, "the best vocal group in the country and one of the best bands of any kind I have ever heard". That`s a pretty big statement Mr Crosby.

If you like Jackson Browne or CSN, buy this CD.

Ted Hawkins... literally a street performer for years, he was discovered late in life, and only made a couple of albums before passing on. His version of the Temptations "Just My Imagination" is perfection; just him, his guitar, and a musical sensibility and rhythm that the little lip-syncing artists making millions today cannot come close to...

----------------

On 11/12/2004 7:20:39 PM thebes wrote:

You know, the song, album or artist, that the whole entire world should positively know about. Why don't they get it? Do I have to stake them to the ground and place headphones over their ears and force them to listen?

----------------

"song" - So many songs, so little time. How about "Sunday Girl" from Blondie's Parallel Lines album? If ever there was a pure pop gem, this is it.

"album" - "The Impossible Bird" by Nick Lowe springs to mind. Kind of a simmering Memphis to Muscle Shoals groove.

"artist" - Rhonda vincent. Sure, she is not exactly an unknown, but I think she is deserving of much more widespread recognition than she has had. Same goes for Holly Cole.

BTW, where is Stevie Nick's right hand in that picture?9.gif

----------------

On 11/13/2004 12:45:08 AM jt1stcav wrote:

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/buckinghamnicks3.jpg">

Technologically, it may not be the best sounding recording (ca 1973), but IMO it's still a gem music-wise. Their performance and style are timeless, and their pre-Fleetwood Mac songwriting abilities are what eventually put these two on the musical map!

Strictly my opinion, natch...

----------------

Ya, I'd still do Stevie!3.gif

Tom

Hidden Gem?

Well, I am not really sure this counts but Amused to Death is, to my mind, Roger Water's greatest work. I think it should have outsold DSOTM and the Wall but for some reason I cannot fathom it effectively bombed, having picked up an award or 2 along the way.

It does count in that I think every person on the planet should hear it at least once.

I have a sneaking theory that when Roger eventually passes this will become a huge album - as it should have been in the first place.

If you liked Live and in the flesh that was largely based on Amused to Death - but it aint nearly as good as the original IMHO and all that.

There you are - a non classical recommendation from Max - pretty rarew thing these days!

Please, please, please, would someone please check this record out. Sloan's Twice Removed is my pick. I listened to it literally every day for over a year. And I don't do that kind of thing.

01sloan.jpeghttp://www.chartattack.com/top50/one.html

Voted the #1 Canadian album of all time on this site. Loses nothing in the exchange rate, as far as I'm concerned.

Hmmmm... how about a free Klipsch giveaway prize to the first person to buy this record & post a review here. I'll make it decent, too. I've still got to pay forward that Jimmy Smith record Allan sent me.