RF-7 vs 84' La Scala

jwc

Oh boy! Plastic front bezels and all! I can hear the bzzzz, bzzzzz, bzzz already when you try and turn them up. I wonder if I put those fancy bullet dust covers on my speakers they will be more aerodynamic and move faster. Nice wood finish though if it is not vinyl, I'll stick with my time tested Heritage speakers thank you very much.

Q-Man, just so you know, Parasound will soon be releasing a new processor unit in their Classic line that will compete with the likes of the AVM30 in terms of features, performance, and a lower price over the C2.

And KlipschRF7, those pics were posted a while ago. It was said that they don't truly represent how the Premier line will look, as that pic is computer generated, with a sickly green tinge.

Nicholti,

I caught wind of that new processor somewhere,I don't remember where I read it. Do you know if it will have the 9 & 10th channels like the C1 & C2. That is a plus for me, because I will use those channels for my front effect speakers. The other plus for the C2 ( if I can believe Brent) is that the C2

sounds better then the AVM 30.

I'm getting real sick of this waiting.

jwcullison,

I'll look at the manual for the MX119, that's news to me.

Hey Q

Not sure about the 9 and 10th channel. Not completely sure I know what your asking. I just ordered the MC252 today and the MX119. The MX119 are being built now as we speak (type). Not sure of when I would get it.

The MC252 two channel amp weighs in at 97 1/2 pounds. Can't wait to hear the beast. Not sure if my back will be able to get this in my cabinet.

----------------

On 11/16/2004 12:39:08 PM Klipsch RF7 wrote:

WOW, I just found a pic of the Klipsch Reference Premier speakers. They look very exotic and they seem to be 3 way from what i can percieve, there is a midrange tweeter below the Tractix horn.

Premiere_large.jpg"
----------------

Seems like I heard that Madonna had a hand in designing those cones...2.gif

Q-dawg, here's a link to some ongoing info regarding Parasound updates and such:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=6968

I highly doubt the new Classic unit would have programmable outputs, otherwise, it would be worthy of the Halo tag. But then again, who am I to say? It just might...

Oh, and the C2 does sound better than the AVM30. Not even the same league, in my opinion. =)

----------------

On 11/16/2004 8:51:54 AM jwcullison wrote:

J.4knee

Nice response. Did you install the networks yourself? Again I don't wish to build any. What Amp and Preamp are you running?

----------------

Yes I built and installed the crossovers it is really easy though. As far as getting assembled units Dean G, Bob Crites and Al Klappenberger do that as well. To put them in you just disconnect the wire going to your drivers and unscrew your existing network and put the new one in and reconnect the cable going to your drivers. The Alk's will require you to drill a couple new holes, but is simple to do.

Right now I am just using a Yamaha RX V3300 receiver, it has a good sound and processor set up for the interim. My end goal is as yours is Mac all around. The MC 252 is what I have been looking at, I would need 4 maybe 5 of them in the long run. I have been looking into Parasound Halo amps and Aragon as well. I will also need a Pre/Pro that can produce front effect channels in addition to the other surround channels. For now I will have to suffice with the Yamaha. I just bought a 52" DLP TV and the little Mrs. 4knee insists we redo the kitchen and the flooring in the house before we add any more "toys" for me. A reasonable request since she has put implicit trust in me to mediate the level of importance I placed on "my toys". Poor thing she has no idea of how much I need to sink into tools yet! 9.gif

Q-Man, when and if you demo a Halo pre/pro give us a post on how you like it overall and how well it does driving your front effect amp.

R/Jim

EDIT: "I meant to ask, What does "rope caulk your horns" mean. I'm sorry if this is covered somewhere else on the forum. If it is, Give me a hint on which thread to look in."

It damps the ringing in your squawker horn, I have not attempted it yet but I am going to before too long maybe over Turkey week not sure. It is, as I understand it, a putty/clay like material you mold around the outer surface of your squawker horn.

Here is a better image of the Premieres including their '56 Caddy phase plugs. They are three ways.

[img http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/premiere_large1.jpg

I would say to ALK your La Scalas and audition these when they are available. On the one La Scala that I have, an ALK made a palpable difference across the frequency spectrum v an AA network and a Scott 99C.

Rick

Those premieres to me don't look much different than the RF-7's. I do see they're 3 way. The cabinet is of better quality.

I guess I will go for the alk's. Did you have to drill holes into your la scala to get them installed? Is this the only upgrade you did to the speaker?

I hear so much about tubes and horns as a match. This makes me wonder in the end, if I will switch to some other brand besides klipsch for my fronts.

"Those premieres to me don't look much different than the RF-7's. I do see they're 3 way. The cabinet is of better quality."

The fact that they are three-ways makes them quite a bit different than the 7's. Also, when looking at the picture of them, realize that the midrange driver/horn is on top, and the tweeter is in the middle. Also, the midrange driver is a cone.

"I guess I will go for the alk's. Did you have to drill holes into your la scala to get them installed? Is this the only upgrade you did to the speaker?"

You really don't have to screw them down. The ALKs come with felt on the bottom, and can be happily slid into the cubby without fear of mishap. The rope caulk: you have to do this. Basically, you wrap about half the horn with Mortite (rope caulk). Use the search feature, you'll have plenty to read.

"I hear so much about tubes and horns as a match. This makes me wonder in the end, if I will switch to some other brand besides klipsch for my fronts."

It's just because us tubies have big mouths. Plenty here listen with their solid state gear and think the rest of us are idiots. Before giving up on the LaScalas you should at least make an attempt to make them the best they can be. Since you do a lot of Home Theater -- you're not likely to find anything that can match them in the areas that matter most (dynamics, full soundstage). Later, when the Priemer Series is released -- you can go listen and see what you think.

You most certainly do not *have to* caulk your La Scalas. *Some* people swear for the improvements by caulking, but most people are very satisfied without doing it. The harshness you refer to on certain material could come about from many different things, but not likely from horn ringing.

I must say I'm a little scaired of this caulking. I will change out the network. Not sure what version and how much I want to spend.

Are the new scalas much better than my 84' version with a new network? I realize this is a tough question.

Caulking is nothing to be scared of. It's just messy and a hassle. You can also use DynaMat. I personally wouldn't bother, but it's not a permanent change, so if you don't get any benefit, you can always remove it.

All LaScalas will sound pretty much the same. There will be some difference depending on the networks and the speaker components. But all LaScalas regardless will sound like LaScalas--much more similar to one another than to anything else. Your 1984 models with new networks will be as good as new.

"The Type AL is despised equally by all with the exception of one person here on the forum."

Who is this goofball?! We need to sit him down, and gently encourage some rethinking of the way he's portioning out the signal among the drivers in his speakers! This isn't the same guy who was using that dinky old Dyanaco PAT 4 SS preamp is it!?2.gif