Wendy Carlos and Klipsch

Parrot

.....I'm feeding TOA amplifiers which were the first solid-state amps that I had found after a careful A-B comparison that were so good that I couldn't tell them from the Marantz tube amps......

ok... the above statement just invalidated the rest of the interview....

TOA amps are total POS amps... designed strictly for public address applications.... never even considered in any commercial/pro applications where music might be an option.....

and "wendy's" hearing might have been different when he/she was "walter" carlos.......

WALTER CARLOS

Electronic musician Walter Carlos was born in 1939 in Rhode Island (USA).

In 1969 changed his sex becoming WENDY CARLOS,and has been known the rest of her career with this name.

For more information see WENDY CARLOS.

http://www.intuitivemusic.com/tguidewaltercarlos.html

not that there's anything wrong with that....

1.gif

You have to see her site for more infor. There is a lot there on surround sound as well as pics of her studio. If she says that there was no difference between TOA amps and Marantz tube amps, you have to take her word for it that that is her opinion. Nobody can make you hear something that, to you, is unhearable.

(check out the four cornwalls hanging from the ceiling in the studion shot. http://www.wendycarlos.com/photos.html#studios )

----------------

On 11/16/2004 9:06:31 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

......Nobody can make you hear something that
to you, is unhearable.

----------------

not "unhearable" to me at all....

i sold TOA amps for about 4 years and i know what they sound like..... they were at the bottom of the list when it came to fidelity....

qsc, crown, bogen, and peavey all sounded better than TOA by a long shot.... it was very obvious to anyone that bothered to listen....

have you bothered to listen or are you just posting references to other people's websites????

----------------

On 11/16/2004 9:29:02 PM paulparrot wrote:

Lot of neat stuff there, Klipschfoot.

Russ, obviously Wendy could have purchased "qsc, crown, bogen, and peavey" if she had liked them better.
----------------

yes.... he/she could have picked better amps...... but when you basically just arrange works by bach and other composers on electronic instruments it really doesn't matter.... you can adjust the sound to your amp/speaker combination...whatever it may be....

1.gif

I know nothing about TOA amps so I can't comment. But weren't the tweeters and sqwakers used in most Heritage speakers originally designed for PA systems?

I could probably say more about Wendy/Walter, but moma taught me not to say bad things about people. There are photo's of Cornwalls used in the surround studio.

Well, I think Wendy has good taste...4 hanging Cornwalls; I'm impressed!

I own most of her recordings (LP and CD), and so I'm quite familiar with her style and interpretations. She's a pioneer (and a living legend) in the field of synthesized music...Listening to her '68 SWB performances, knowing that each note was recorded one note at a time on that monsterous Moog, is a real revelation! And now just about anyone can take a MIDI sound module/keyboard/workstation, plug it into a sequencer on your Mac or PC, and easily transcribe a Bach prelude, and in no time have a finished piece of music! I can't help but think that every keyboard musician today should be thankful for all the developments provided by Wendy Carlos!

By the way, when I purchased my first "Wendy" Carlos album back in the '70s, I just assumed for a long time that these were done by "Walter's" wife! Hey, if he/she is happy (and I assume that "Wendy" is), then more power to her!2.gif

Hello, Mike...IMO if she's comfortable in her "switched" lifestyle, then I can live with it. I can't imagine what that must be like, but being trapped in the wrong body (like a gay man trying to live straight), well, that's no way to live at all. If she's happier as a woman, then why not!

But I can't help but wonder what she looked like before the surgery as a man...I think she made the right choice.2.gif

Yet another thanks from me for for starting this thread.

This thread reminded me that I need to get a CD of "Switced on Bach". The album that started it for her. I have one of the follow up CDs but not the original.

How many times I listened to that LP. In the 70's, I loaned it out from my local library. I was the guy who wore that copy out. I think this album brought many people to the realization that great music can be played on just about anything.

I went to her website. A very interesting person.

Thanks again Paul. This brought back a lot of great memories and when I get the CD I'll be redicovering Carlos/Bach all over again.