Wow, what a fight... Pistons vs Pacers

Juba310

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am appauled at both teams, but what really gets my drandruff up, is that the situation, from my view, was started by Detroit, and there fans......why only 1 Detroit player was suspended is beyond belief! The Detroit Franchise should be punished for the fans actions, and their lack of Security at the end of the Game! JMHO!

The players are currently suspended "indefinitely" because the Pacers play tonight and they had to suspend the three Pacers but haven't had the chance to sort through this mess and determine appropriate suspension lengths. It will be interesting to see the final suspensions lengths. While the last thing that the NBA ever wants to see is players attacking fans, much of this was brought on by "fan" actions. Artest didn't have to go into the stands after being hit in the face with the cup. Artest and O'Neal didn't have to hit the guys on the court later (especially O'Neal's punch) but there was spectators throwing punches left and right along with a chair and all the concession items that they could find. The two punches landed by Artest and O'Neal on the court were agains people that came out and confronted them. What a mess.

----------------

On 11/20/2004 4:39:46 PM m00n wrote:

Indiana's Artest, Jackson, O'Neal suspended indefinitely for roles in brawl

Wonder just how long indefinitely is in the NBA.... Bet they are back in the game within 1 week.

----------------

I doubt that. When Sprewell choked his coach he was suspended for a relatively long time. Obviously this was just as bad, if not worse.

Bill H.

Only 1 Pistons player (Wallace) got suspended because the rest of the team did nothing besides try to break everything up, hold back each other, and rasheed was going into the crowd to get the pacer players away from the fans and I applaud rasheed for restraining but that didnt help much considering the magnitude of the whole situation. The entire Piston team is not at fault, yes Wallace started the the minor dispute between him and Artest after he got fouled but things like that happen all the time and he kept it on the court. Unfortunately some idiots in the stands started throwing things but thats still no justification for Artest going into the crowds and beating up fans... that is just ridiculous on his part. What was that **** doing anyway, he was laying down on the tables like an idiot and then grabbed a headset and just acted like a moron I'm glad he got hit by food. Then the rest of the team went after Artest but the situation got worse and punches were being thrown left and right. Artest claims it was self defense... pshhhh... how is it self defense trampling over several officials to get to a fan who barely scratched him and he didn't even attack the right fan who threw the cup of beer at him. Artest was way out of line and it is unfortunate that Wallace and the whole Piston team is going to look worse in the publics view becuase of what the fans did. Sad and pathetic overall. Then another stupid fan walked up to Artest and who knows what he said but watever he said doesn't justify Artest (who is a well conditioned athelete) to hit a fan so hard he could have just walked away went to security officials directly but no he had to make trouble. Pistons kept it on the court and thats as far as they took it so don't go blaming them for everything. I say down with Artest his attitude is horrible and setting a bad example for the NBA. Let him go pursue his crummy "RAP" album all he wants now, he always manages to do something dumb... nobody likes Artest I hope everyone who got hurt get all his money. The unruley fans got what the deserved and the players got what they deserved. Unfortunately many people got hurt and there was even an old woman on the floor in the middle of one of the fights where the chair got thrown at O'neal and missed. Everybody was a loser and nobody was a winner, except those of us watching it on TV I couldn't stop laughing at the whole fiasco hahaha.9.gif

~ A pistons fan from Ann Arbor, MI ~

I actually watched that game on digital from Detroit on WDIV. I may be from the heartland of hockey and fighting is norm in Canada, but that was sad to see. What killed me was it lasted close to 10 minutes, guy lies on the timers bench, goes into the crowd and wham, players follow and wham, NO Piston Players in view. Goes back onto the floor and 2 Piston fans "stand" there, confront him, WHAM...followed by a COACH and another player WHAM, this was something for REAL TV and a truly SAD day for the NBA.

Over a beer tossed(missed)on your $7 million dollar ***, as you lay there cocky on the timers bench...go ahead...provoke me, I'm cool...bs...and that was a nice foul he started it with, and NO call!!

Before you say it..the NHL and NBA are different sports and leagues..it's part of hockey, always has and always will be...10.gif

Going into the stands as a PROFESSIONAL athlete...come on...sad.

PS. Get Lawyers Boys(good ones), you'll need em.... 10.gif

I finally read the MSNBC article.

I also recently read the police transcript from when Kobe Bryant was picked up. These things have solidified my notion that professional athletes (maybe not all) are some of the most disgusting human beings (right along with most of Corporate America) our society has produced. These people are like spoiled undisciplined kids who suddenly find themselves very wealthy and famous and able to do thins with little fear of consequence.

----------------

On 11/20/2004 8:23:36 PM Juba310 wrote:

----------------

On 11/20/2004 4:39:46 PM m00n wrote:

Indiana's Artest, Jackson, O'Neal suspended indefinitely for roles in brawl

Wonder just how long indefinitely is in the NBA.... Bet they are back in the game within 1 week.

----------------

I doubt that. When Sprewell choked his coach he was suspended for a relatively long time. Obviously this was just as bad, if not worse.

----------------

Sprewell was suspended for 68 games (not that far short of the whole season).

damonrpayne said: "These people are like spoiled undisciplined kids who suddenly find themselves very wealthy and famous and able to do thins with little fear of consequence."

What do you mean are like? Hell man, they are - literally!! Look at the average age for an NBA player. Most of these guys are just barely out of high school. And here's something else that'll make your day.

According to a guy that was on Fox news this morning (can't remember his first name, but his last name is Benedict), 40% of all NBA players have significant police records. The guy substantiates this in his book and when asked what he meant by significant police records, he said things such as weapons charges, felonies, drug charges, robbery, assault, etc.

Nice, eh? How many of us would work at a company where 40% of your fellow employees had police records like that? Gotta love it.

Oh - and what is the NHL? I think I read about that professional sport league once.2.gif3.gif

Tom

I actually don't think having a record is the bad part. A lot of those folks with records might have come from a rough background, and playing basketball is legitimate and legal. I say don't judge people because they did something bad earlier in their lives, give a second changes. However...

What's unfortunate is that kids idolize these guys, then they see their hero on TV because he's accused of raping someone, oh and by the way he's married, oh and by the way part of his "defense" is that all the other people he's cheated on his wife with could testify to his sexual habits, and they have records, and they beat up their fans etc.

The NBA does the worst job of managing its public image!

I live near Detroit and it is my opinion that the whole thing is just a huge disgrace to this city; a city that is already struggling to change it's national image.

Here, we've got a millionaire player on a visitng team whom, instead of exercising self-control and ignoring some beer that a fan threw at him (the fan was wrong in doing so by the way), decided instead to retaliate, thereby launching a uncontrollable meelee that was captured on national television.

So, what was the outcome? The guy gets suspended for the remainder of the year at a personal cost of about $5 million dollars. Some players got a 30-game suspensions and less. Ben Wallace got 6 games and a few other Pistons got 1 game.

But, who is really the big loser in all of this? Well, first I'd have to say all of the families who attended the game and watched this happen first-hand while their poor kids had the bejeezus scared out of them while they saw their supposed "heros" lose control and duke it out with patrons and one another. There were a lot of scared, crying kids at that game.

But, the even bigger loser here is the city of Detroit. It has had it's national reputation pissed-on once again. And, the funny thing about that? The game wasn't even played in the same county as Detroit. Detroit is in Wayne county. The game is played in the City of Auburn Hills; a supposedly swanky, white-collar, bedroom community in Northern Oakland County, which is one of the wealthiest counties per-capita in the entire nation. And all of this, was actually set in motion by a VISITING player. Sure, Ben Wallace retaliated on the foul and the fan threw the beer, but it was the Pacer player's decision to run into the stands in the first place. I've haven't heard any talk about how bad Indiana is because of this, although that would be ludicrous to do so as well, just as it was to relate this event to Detroit. Detroit got screwed by the news once again. - big surprise....NOT! 14.gif