La Scala problem

chiroman

Hey this is Chiroman again. I hooked up the La Scala's again and found that the tweeters in both are not working? How do I go about replacing them? Would this cut back on the mid range I was losing?

I have a pair of Jamo speakers and the sound is a lot differant between the 2 as far as mid-range, the Jamo's are 4 ohm.

I have a McIntosh MA650 150watts pushing these.

Thanks

Gene

Contact Bob Crites here on the forum and you can get the replacement tweeter diaphrams from him. You don't need to replace the whole tweeter as that would be pretty costly. If you don't think that you can handle the diaphram replacement yourself send them to Bob and he will do it for you for a small fee. You can't correctly evaluate the speakers true performance without the tweeters working!

If you blew the tweeters you must have been pushing them way to hard! You also may want to check the zener diodes in the crossovers if you have the "AA's" because they are supposed to prevent that from happening.

Good luck to you in getting them back to 100% again.

Call 1-800-Klipsch and order a new set of tweeters AFTER you have checked to make sure that yours are connected.

Yes your mids will sound different as you will have the highs when all is working.

I will say that you do not need 150 watts for LaScalas. I would not push them to distorting as you may well fry your tweeters.

I am not familiar with Jamo speakers, thus I will not comment on sound difference other than your tweeter problem.

Welcome to the Forum.

dodger

No, no, no. Make use of the services offered here on the forum. The prices are the best, and the quality of work is second to none. If he doesn't want to mess with replacing the diaphrams himself, he can send the tweeters to Bob -- who will do it at a fair price and do it right.

Chiroman:

What happened? did the tweeters suddenly just quit on you one day while listening? This might sound really dumb on my part, but are you sure they are connected to either/or the crossover inputs and outputs? Check on your crossovers where the tweeters connect. There will be two pair of screws -- one in front and one in back. Maybe just check to see that the spades on the leads of the cables are all under the screws and the screws are snug.

If the voice coils are gone, Bob Crites is very good with this, as well as being a nice guy who will give you a fair price on a repair. A speaker repair shop could to the work, and if there's one in your area you might just ask before deciding against it -- both in terms of cost and familiarity with the kind of work involved. Usually, electronics techs can be terribly expensive. Bob knows these drivers and their individual parts very well. He sent me a replacement pair of diaphragms when one of mine blew. It's not too difficult of a repair of your mechanically handy or inclined.

...just mentioning something everyone else has already said.

Erik

----------------

On 11/22/2004 3:25:27 PM DeanG wrote:

No, no, no. Make use of the services offered here on the forum. The prices are the best, and the quality of work is second to none. If he doesn't want to mess with replacing the diaphrams himself, he can send the tweeters to Bob -- who will do it at a fair price and do it right.

----------------

I am Bob Crites and I approve this message.

Bob Crites

I too must provide a voice of support for choosing Bob in this matter. His quality of workmanship is exceptional. Anything you get from Bob, be it an new part or a repair service, is second to none. He is the resident expert on the forum. If you decline to go with Bobs service on this then I would suggest Klipsch but in your case Bob is your best bet.

What are the highest watt rated Klipsch availiable?

This man has a serious problem with volume. God bless him!

All kidding aside,if lascalas or khorns are not enough go to the pro side of this site and check out their theatre systems.I'll eat my hat if you can't find one to blow your ears out there. I mean, make yourself happy.I love to crank mine too but really don't know why 150 good watts is not enough for you,normally that would be enough?!for anybody unless they are going into clipping and frying the tweets.I had a 115 watt per channel SS years ago on my first lascalas and they would move your pant legs at a 14 foot listening distance. Never blew any tweets with that setup.

My new setup uses only 60 watts and I don't think any more would help out here, I can't turn it up all the way without brain damage.

Randy, it is unlikely that chiroman blew his tweeters that way. More probably they were not working initially or the little (seems like) 100 Ga wire finally broke from stress. That is what happened to the original diaphrams on my K-77s in the Khorns after 20 odd years. The replacements I got from Bob have a "ribbon" lead which is much more robust and, I'm sure, will last a lifetime.

I still have to see Bob get another diaphram for a spare K-77 that I have lying around. I subsribe to the procrastinators creed: "Never do today what you can put off 'til tomorrow."9.gif

Rick

Here's the facts, played drums for about ten years, went to way to many music shows(loved it), am 41 so I may have a slight hearing problem but nothing noticable. I just love loud music, that of course is NOT distorted... I listen to any thing from Zappa to classical, no hip hop or country, nothing wrong with that just not my preference.

just turn it up,

Gene

----------------

On 11/22/2004 6:50:46 PM rtaylor wrote:

What are the highest watt rated Klipsch availiable?

This man has a serious problem with volume. God bless him!

All kidding aside,if lascalas or khorns are not enough go to the pro side of this site and check out their theatre systems.I'll eat my hat if you can't find one to blow your ears out there. I mean, make yourself happy.I love to crank mine too but really don't know why 150 good watts is not enough for you,normally that would be enough?!for anybody unless they are going into clipping and frying the tweets.I had a 115 watt per channel SS years ago on my first lascalas and they would move your pant legs at a 14 foot listening distance. Never blew any tweets with that setup.

My new setup uses only 60 watts and I don't think any more would help out here, I can't turn it up all the way without brain damage.

----------------

Speaker damage most often occurs from an under powered amp that is run into clipping. If he's got a 30watt amp in a large room, then I could totally see his amp clipping during a heavy bass passage when listening at volumes around 110dB. Heck, I've measured the SPL of all my live drummers and they've got sounds in the 125dB range around them all the time during a concert/practice. All that to say, 110dB would sound relatively quiet 2.gif

I realize that clipping is more likely to occur with an underpowered amp that is why I was curious about his blowing his tweeters. I built a Hafler 220 years ago and altho I did take out a woofer the tweeters never fried and that was with some serious abuse. Hence the 150 watts should be more than enough to get great sound from his speakers. The Hafler and Lascala's together at near full output would drive the Mrs. out of the house and put me in lala land. Have beer no Fear. I don't listen at the same volumes as I used to but still like it loud.

Maybe his amp is clipping at a lower output than design, something gone bad? There are too many variables to guess. I was just kidding around in good fun with your taste in loud music but I'd have my amp checked while the tweeters are being replaced or fixed.

Good Luck, Randy

If these are the original diaphragms from the factory, it is likely not productive to try to figure out what killed them. Somewhere there is a break in the 72 inches of 30 year old 40 awg wire that makes up the voice coil. I think the cause is most often best labeled as "old age". Now, if we replace the diaphragms and manage to blow another one, we would have to think a lot more deeply about the cause.

A minister told this story to me and perhaps it can be related to the subject of blown tweeter voice coils. After the funeral of a 96 year old gentleman, the minister was talking with the old man's elderly sister. She told the minister that she had been telling her brother for 60 years that his excess coffee drinking would eventually kill him.

Bob