Cherry Rf-7's for sale.

douglas75

Nooooo!

I've been waiting to grab a pair of used Cherry RF-7s, but Detroit!!! : )

Well... I wonder if I can figure out a way to make a 9-10 hour drive each way and somehow get a car big enough to fit them (and someone to go with me).

(Update) Nah... I would need an SUV/Van, a full day, and another driver. I have none of those, so I guess that's out of the question for me. : (

Oh man, $1000? What a deal! Whoever lives around you should snap these up in a heartbeat! Damn, I'd get them too, but I live on the coast too, like Meuge, only the opposite end.

Hey Eugene, maybe we should make a race out of it. Since the distance is relatively the same, let's see who gets there first! Last one's a rotten egg!

PS - Doug, what if I tossed in an extra $300 for YOU to drive them to ME?

I have 3 sets of speakers now; Magenpan 1.6qr, B&W Matrix 805 and these Rf-7 Monsters. I bought the RF-7's this summer when I felt the need to Rock, but in day to day listening, I like the other 2, especially the Magnepans more. The sound is totally different from the horns, and of course the bass is not there, but the Magnepans make me happiest. I can easily swap back and forth between the B&W and the Maggies, but the Klispch are too heavy to carry up and down the stairs or I would just keep them.

So, the Klispch are almost new, broken in though and a great deal. I will gladly hook them up for a demo if you come with cash in hand ready to buy if you like them.

----------------

On 11/22/2004 5:12:59 PM nicholtl wrote:

Carl, what did you decide regarding the receiver for your friend?

----------------

A Harmon Kardon AVR 325. It was between Pioneer Elites and Harmon Kardons. I used to own an AVR 525 and loved it before I went mad - with this upgrade stuff. The AVR 325 shares the same processor as the 525 - just different amps. I wanted the dual zone/room capability because he also wants to add planar speakers to the mix. There were some Acoustat Planar speakers over at this find, and my friend thinks that his wife might like classical on them. I also like the bass management the 325 provides.

So.... this setup will be:

H/K AVR 325, Rotel RMB-1075 (120 Watts X 2), Toshiba CD player with external DAC for two-channel, RB-75s with Sound Organization stands, RC-3II, Yamaha rear surrounds (powered by 325's amps), Acoustat Planar Speakers with passive sub (powered by the 1075), and HSU VTF-2.

In contrast, my setup is about to become: Belles, a Vertical Cornwall, SVS PB2-ISD, RF-7s, RS-35s, Classe pre/pro, Peach pre/pro, Rotel RB-1080, Dynaco Mk IIIs, Dynaco Stereo 70, Marantz 8B, Jolida JD-100, Denon 2900 ----aaargh.

Not sure which amp will end up running which speaker(s) just yet. However...it should be fun trying to figure it out.

Carl.

----------------

On 11/22/2004 7:40:05 PM douglas75 wrote:

I have 3 sets of speakers now; Magenpan 1.6qr, B&W Matrix 805 and these Rf-7 Monsters.

I can easily swap back and forth between the B&W and the Maggies, but the Klispch are too heavy to carry up and down the stairs or I would just keep them.

----------------

There you go, gang - the "RF-7 Monsters." And yes, it is a pain carrying RF-7s up and down steps but been there - done that.

Carl.

Doug, hang on and let me garner a little support for this effort. I'm in Indianapolis and have pickuptruck with cap shell. Also $$, so can do the job.

But do I NEED THEM??????

Here's the scenario gang-

currently have LR mains Cornwalls, but they're going down for complete overhaul this winter/spring.

Also have RC7, which everyone sez doesn't match Corns at all. Can't manage to locate/purchase a vertical Corn for center.

Next week, picking up a 4xRB5 CHERRY setup with KLF-C7

Backup, basement system is 4x KSB1.1 and KSC-C1

Also have two Maple RB3II

HERE"S THE PLAN

New system of RF7 + RC7 + 4x RC5 for mains in LR.

Cornwalls can be rebuilt, then put back as mains or go to (sob) basement.

or Corns +?+? back to LR, RF/RB in basement (workout room and bar) and lil KSB's would make a nice Master Suite Surround. DO I NEED THREEE COMPLETE SYSTEMS?? I love my Corns, would I be happy with an RF system??? Advice please before I spend more $$ frivoulously (sp) or lose good deal nearby.

Michael

----------------

On 11/30/2004 9:19:39 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Doug, hang on and let me garner a little support for this effort. I'm in Indianapolis and have pickuptruck with cap shell. Also $$, so can do the job.

But do I NEED THEM??????

Here's the scenario gang-

currently have LR mains Cornwalls, but they're going down for complete overhaul this winter/spring.

Also have RC7, which everyone sez doesn't match Corns at all. Can't manage to locate/purchase a vertical Corn for center.

Next week, picking up a 4xRB5 CHERRY setup with KLF-C7

Backup, basement system is 4x KSB1.1 and KSC-C1

Also have two Maple RB3II

HERE"S THE PLAN

New system of RF7 + RC7 + 4x RC5 for mains in LR.

Cornwalls can be rebuilt, then put back as mains or go to (sob) basement.

or Corns +?+? back to LR, RF/RB in basement (workout room and bar) and lil KSB's would make a nice Master Suite Surround. DO I NEED THREEE COMPLETE SYSTEMS?? I love my Corns, would I be happy with an RF system??? Advice please before I spend more $$ frivoulously (sp) or lose good deal nearby.

Michael

----------------

I'd go for the RF-7s. I had both the Cornwalls and the RF-7s and kept the 7s. I loved my Cornwalls, but the RF's to me were much more accurate and blended perfectly with my RC-7. That was a year ago and I still haven't regretted it. Although I wish I still had my Cornwalls to play with occasionally. But, I still have a pair of CF-4s to swap out occasionally for that...

Colter, I agree with Texas to a certain point. Yes, this is too good of a deal to pass up. I recently acquired a Vertical Cornwall and am adding Belles for a Heritage front to go with my various Reference setups. That means I will also have nice Reference and Heritage setups - the best of both worlds. Why not if you can do it?

The RF-7s are more revealing than the Cornwalls, but I love the sound of both speakers. There is a night and day difference in sound though.

I say go for it with one caveat. If you buy the RF-7s, be prepared to work with them. In my opinion, the speakers do not do well, musically, powered by receivers - especially Yamahas. Part of this may be due to the fact that they dip lower in ohms, periodically, than other Klipsch speakers. In fact, out of all the Klipsch speakers I've owned (Heritage, Reference, and Legends), they are the least forgiving about what is running them (again, music-wise). Another reason that the RF-7s may demand a nice processor and amp to get the best out of them is because they are so revealing. And finally, crossover mods also help turn a very good speaker into a great speaker (thanks, Dean).

I just bring this up because I do not recall what other amps/preamps you have besides your Yamahas. You may hook them up to the Yammies and love the sound right off of the bat. On the other hand, if you hook them up, and you are not that impressed running off of the receiver(s)(musically), this may lead you on a slippery slope (x-overs, new equip). Then again, if you plan on using the RF-7s primarily for movies, you would not have those concerns.

I still think you should jump on them.

Just a thought about all of what may be involved.

Carl.

----------------

On 11/30/2004 5:56:15 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

I'm yamaha only, will I dislike these? Darn, wish I had those 4x RB5's here right now to give the Reference a good test. It's a long way to Detroit for something that looks cool but doesn't sound right.

----------------

I can only relate my own experience and the experiences of some other Yamaha/Klipsch owners. Initially, I ran my RF3IIs and then my RF-7s with my Yamaha 1300, and at high volumes, the titanium tweeters screamed like fighting cats. To my ears, the upper horn of the Cornwalls is more forgiving - and more mellow than the titanium beauties in the RF-7s. Plus, RF-7s just do not perform that well at higher volumes with most receivers, regardless of the make (there are a few exceptions - B&K, Rotel,etc.) The RF-7s are so detailed (and demanding) that with most receivers, the music comes out at high volumes like garbled mush.

That being said, there are a few Reference owners who like the Yamaha/Reference combination. I do not understand it, but then again, everyone's ears are different. So....you may like the combination, but if you do not plan on switching out the Yammies soon, I would listen to the combination before purchasing. There are also a number of Legend owners on the forum who swear by the Klipsch/Yamaha combo. However, to my ears, the different tweeter materials used in the Heritage line are also more forgiving than the titanium tweets in the RF-7s. Don't get me wrong - I love my RF-7s, and there will always be a place in my home for them. The upside of the titanium tweeters are that they are very, very detailed. But, it took me awhile (various combos, going to separates, x-over upgrades) to get the musical sound I wanted.

Again, all of the above comments relate to music only. For movies, I believe that Yamahas do a fine job with Reference. My 1300 is still in my house running another Reference - basically - movie only rig.

Carl.