KT-88 output tubes

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I need some help in choosing what brand of output tubes are better SED, Sovtek, Electro-Harmonix or Sino, I am purchasing an integrated tube amplifier and the seller gave these 4 choices, the input tubes are Mallard ...Tony

Tony,

For once 2.gif I agree with Erfan, the Valve Art KT-88's do sound VERY good for the price. I have compared them to a matched Quad of Genelax Gold Lions. Now don't get me wrong, they do sound good, but not that much better to justify spending six to ten times more. I know I'm going to take a s-load of criticism for saying what I just did, but they're not worth the additional $5-7 hundred. At least IMHO. Of course JM2cents 9.gif

If anyone strongly disagrees please send me a quad of Gold Lions and I'll be happy to run them in my monoblocs. 3.gif

Tom,

Doesn't all that depend on how many time you have bent your elbow in a given evening 2.gif

Tony,

Of the choices the seller gave you I would have to take a chance on the Sino Chinese. There will be some gamble there but I have found all the Chinese made KT-88 and KT-66 to have a much nicer tone then there Russian counterparts. There have been some issues with some of the different branded Chinese power tubes but I have used a good number of the Valve Art brand with no problems at all.

Craig

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/9/2004 7:02:41 PM Piranha wrote:

Tony,

For once
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif"> I agree with Erfan, the
do sound VERY good for the price. I have compared them to a matched Quad of Genelax Gold Lions. Now don't get me wrong, they do sound good, but not that much better to justify spending six to ten times more. I know I'm going to take a s-load of criticism for saying what I just did, but they're not worth the additional $5-7 hundred. At least IMHO. Of course JM2cents
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif">

If anyone strongly disagrees please send me a quad of Gold Lions and I'll be happy to run them in my monoblocs.
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif">

----------------

Tommy, just come on to Chicago, listen to the VRD's for a while the way Craig meant them to be, and then tell me your opinion2.gif3.gif miss ya buddy9.gif

----------------

On 12/9/2004 9:39:30 PM DeanG wrote:

I thought the Valve Art tube was Chinese -- like the Rubies -- a copy of the Genalex.
----------------

They are Dean ! I just think Valve Art keeps the Quality Control High as I bet Ruby does also compared to some generic makes from China that could possibly be the seconds coming out of those factories or something. I just heard through the grape vine that some Odd Ball Chinese KT-88's were having some reliabilty problems. Its all second hand hersay.

Craig

----------------

On 12/9/2004 9:38:15 PM smilin wrote:

----------------

On 12/9/2004 7:02:41 PM Piranha wrote:

Tony,

For once
2.gif"
I agree with Erfan, the
do sound VERY good for the price. I have compared them to a matched Quad of Genelax Gold Lions. Now don't get me wrong, they do sound good, but not that much better to justify spending six to ten times more. I know I'm going to take a s-load of criticism for saying what I just did, but they're not worth the additional $5-7 hundred. At least IMHO. Of course JM2cents
9.gif"

If anyone strongly disagrees please send me a quad of Gold Lions and I'll be happy to run them in my monoblocs.
3.gif"

----------------

Tommy, just come on to Chicago, listen to the VRD's for a while the way Craig meant them to be, and then tell me your opinion
2.gif3.gif
miss ya buddy
9.gif

----------------

Steve,

I hope you didn't get offended? The GL's do sound very good. But they just don't sound 5-7 hundred dollars better to me. Personally I wouldn't spend the money there. But hey, different strokes for different folks. You're free to spend your money as you please. After all, you earned it. That's what makes this hobby so interesting. We all have different opinions.

I am getting cabin fever. I think I need another trip East to IL, WI, and maybe MI soon1.gif

LOL...No kidding. Funny thing is that he claims to sell money for a living? But I sure as he11 don't believe that for a second. I think he's really a bank robber. Maybe I better check the Ten Most Wanted list at the Post Office tomorrow to see if any pictures match. Then with the reward I can buy toys like he does. 2.gif

P.S. Sorry to hijack your thread Tony 1.gif

Guest Anonymous

I hope you didn't get offended? The GL's do sound very good. But they just don't sound 5-7 hundred dollars better to me. Personally I wouldn't spend the money there. But hey, different strokes for different folks. You're free to spend your money as you please. After all, you earned it. That's what makes this hobby so interesting. We all have different opinions.

I am getting cabin fever. I think I need another trip East to IL, WI, and maybe MI soon[img src="http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif">

----------------

Ofeended, me, nahhh, I hope I do get to see you soon. I think Im gonna take a trip to vegas for the CES show, see whas goin on in the audio world. Gotta whet my whistle for the new year. Hows the new life going for you? wife and kids good? Leg feeling better? Come on out, you have a home with me2.gif9.gif

----------------

On 12/11/2004 2:36:25 AM smilin wrote:Ofeended, me, nahhh, I hope I do get to see you soon. I think Im gonna take a trip to vegas for the CES show, see whas goin on in the audio world. Gotta whet my whistle for the new year. Hows the new life going for you? wife and kids good? Leg feeling better? Come on out, you have a home with me
2.gif9.gif

----------------

Steve,

Come visit me at the Damoka room there. We'll be exhibiting Lamm amplification, Weiss front end with the new Wilson Max IIs. 1.gif