help on how to ship Penn. to Calif.

st. patrick

I need suggestions/guidance on shipping khorns from williamsport, PA to the center of the left coast. I am considering a pair of khorns (76ers so hopefully i will be invited to join the secret society, he he he), but i need to figure out all arrangements. Is this feasible from a practical and economic perspective? Are there reliable crating and shipping companies with whom y'all have dealt? Am I nuts to even consider this?

I appreciate the input. Also, how are these diferent from '89's, as there may be a pair of 89's alot closer to me. I have always heard nice things re the '70s khorns, but have not really followed the threads on the different x-overs, etc, thus a thumbnail sketch of the differences would be helpful (and just to beat someone to the punch, i know the difference is 13 years). Thanks, Patrick

I also don't know how to ship, or how '89s sound compared to 76's, but -- if these enter into the equation -- how about cosmetic condition; are they "B" (the best-looking IMO) style or "C" style; and do they have a veneer or birch raw finish? Some things to at least be aware of, I believe --

Larry

shipping K-horns across country is gonna cost at least 500 dollars. i had my cornwalls shipped to me on a skid by Yellow Freight from east coast to ohio for 250 packing and shipping. no damage. i would try to buy local and save on shipping and damage. good luck on what ever you decide to do. If you are lucky enough to buy k-horns and have 2 good corners to put them in, the year doesn't matter.

Patrick, there is much that can go wrong if not packed properly.

I've heard that Forward Air does a good job in moving this stuff across the country.

I have 1976 Klipschorns and wouldn't sell them for anything. Very special, esp. when ALK'ed. The difference "is not subtle".

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

• 2 weeks later...

Shipping K-horns across country will likely be expensive. You might want to consider purchasing something closer where you can pick them up and inspect them prior to purchase. I just picked up a pair locally in the finish that I had been looking for for quite some time, so now I have another pair that I will be putting up for sale eventually. I'm in Southern California by the way. I am looking for a pair of Walnut Oil Belles, so I would prefer to make a trade with someone that is looking to upgrade to K-horns.

They would have to be palletized and the boxed all the way around ( Wood construction ). Correct packing is the key to getting them there in one piece. Make sure you get someone who has done this before. It is a lot more than slapping some boards together.

Patrick,

If it were me I'd hold tight and just be patient. They come up for sale frequently in So Cal. I would be more than happy to keep my eye out for you. I am also willing to go look at them for you if needed to save you an unecessary trip down from the SB area. Just let me know what year/model/finish you're looking for. I know of a pair of 79 KB-WO that just sold locally for $1500. Maybe less but that was the asking price. And they looked to be in very good condition. One thing to keep in mind in searching for and buying desirable Heritage, you have to move QUICK!

hello i got a quote from forward air to ship lascallas from ca. to maryland cost was 114.00, these will of course be higher all needed be done on the lascalas, was put them on a pallett and cushion between them and shrink wrap the hell out of them so they wouldnt move as they are on a pallet and moved about by fork lift not much danger of dropping etc...i would however with k-horns use 2 pallets one speaker peri would guess in the 300 range by my previous price Joe

Man just got some Cornwalls 2 months ago and now he`s about to get some Kornerhorns.

You make me sick Patrick. I hate you!2.gif

Now that I got that out of my system.....I paid $250 to have my CWs shipped cross country. You`ll probably pay that or more for K-Horns. There has got to be some in the LA area that will come up soon, as Piranha said. If you can stomach those Cornwalls another month or so?9.gif