Tube testers

Coytee

It all depends. I have a reconditioned B&K 700 that I use several times a week. I have a few bands that depend on me to keep their tube gear playing. Within my immediate family there are nine tube amps hooked to Klipsch speakers! Something is on the bench at any moment.

I don't know if I could justify owning one if I was only looking after my own gear.

A unit that is out of calibration from E-Bay et al would probably do more harm than good.

Check with Michael Marx www.vacuumtubes.com. He usually has several to offer. Michael doesn't let anything leave the warehouse that isn't in top shape. Take a look at his NOS tube offerings while you are there.

DR BILL

Tube checkers help but don't tell you everything. In the final analysis

substitution is king, particularlly where the circuits are designed around the internal capacitance and inductance of the tube itself. Sometimes you have to go through three or four of them. But for a straight amplifier circuit that should not be necessary. Oscillator tubes in radios or tuners can check good but not function and should be substituted. The tube checker is great for checking conductance and shorts. What is that saying on TV?

What's in your wallet?

JJK

I own a Hickok 600A tube tester. I use it to check used tubes BEFORE I place them in my beloved amplifier to avoid explosions, fires, etc. I also use it to match tubes for my PP amp, I have bought many set of "matched" tubes which when tested turned out to be FAR form matched according to my testing. If you buy a lot of used tubes, or if matched tubes are important to you then a tube tester might be useful. I also enjoy using it...part of the tube hobby ya´know.

regards, tony

Tube testers are a source of endless entertainment if you start getting into tubes. They will also improve your finger dexterity and eye/hand coordination. And people will start to think you are some sort of mad scientist when they see you pushing all those buttons.

You really should get one that you can verify has been calibrated by someone who knows what they're doing. Or get one that looks decent on Ebay and send it to someone for calibration. Otherwise you'll never quite be sure of your readings.

Here is a link to another website that has information on the various Hickok models and what's good and bad about each model. He also has a link to a repair person I would trust. I'm sure the person mentioned in the earlier repsonse would be a good source also.

http://www.tubewizard.com/

PS. I have Hickok 752

• 9 years later...

My new little baby will be coming home from the plant with me in the afternoon.

The only thing I did not ask MarVac electronics was weather the stand comes with it, no biggie, as I have no idea were im going to put it anyway.

I don't think the wife will mind me placing it in her den for a few days.

My new little baby will be coming home from the plant with me in the afternoon.

The only thing I did not ask MarVac electronics was weather the stand comes with it, no biggie, as I have no idea were im going to put it anyway.

I don't think the wife will mind me placing it in her den for a few days.

I just had a great idea, when I get home(before her), im going to place it in the living room next to her Mono blocks and tell her, Babe, it's your "support equipment"

I just got a beautiful fully restored B&K 667 emision tester to test a box full of tubes I have accumulated over the years. I would always replace my tubes because I couldn't test them, and thought maybe they were getting weak after so much use.

WHat I found is that tubes last a heck of a lot longer than I thought. Only a couple of bad tubes in the bunch.

I am on the lookout for an equally restored mutual conductance tester so I can match tubes and test more comprehensively in the future as I build my bench up.

But I probably REALLY didn't need a tube tester just for my preamps and vintage integrateds.